Frost is returning for 2022

knapplc

4 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I wanted Frost fired after his Purdue press conference.

But that's me chiming in from my laptop.

If I'm Trev Alberts, this is the best decision and the right timing to keep the program moving forward. 

Near as I can tell, no one is under any illusions. Scott Frost is humbled to the point of a renegotiated contract at the University's benefit. The new blood will come through the coaching staff and the player portal, the returning players appear to have Scott's back and now have to prove it, and Alberts gets to entertain all available options while Frost coaches for his life in 2022. 

Could be interesting. I'll be watching as I do every year. 

EbWlXi8.gif?noredirect

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I wanted Frost fired after his Purdue press conference.

But that's me chiming in from my laptop.

If I'm Trev Alberts, this is the best decision and the right timing to keep the program moving forward. 

Near as I can tell, no one is under any illusions. Scott Frost is humbled to the point of a renegotiated contract at the University's benefit. The new blood will come through the coaching staff and the player portal, the returning players appear to have Scott's back and now have to prove it, and Alberts gets to entertain all available options while Frost coaches for his life in 2022. 

Could be interesting. I'll be watching as I do every year. 

agreed.   

But I have this nagging question- what motivated Frost to accept the revised contract? :dunno  He could have said no - forced Trev's hand and potentially walk away with $20m. 

Was it: reputation - didn't want "Fired Coach" on his resume

Was it: Belief in himself that he could turn the situation around and that desire was greater than the lost of $$s

Was it Pressure/Threat - Trev saying we drop the threat of firing you with cause due to the  NCAA extra practice infraction  IF you agree to a restructured contract?

Was it pure love of Nebraska - recognizing he hasn't performed, humbled himself to take less, and believe it would be less of a crisis for the program if he accepted the stepdown contract and make the needed  changes to the program?

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

agreed.   

But I have this nagging question- what motivated Frost to accept the revised contract? :dunno  He could have said no - forced Trev's hand and potentially walk away with $20m. 

Was it: Belief in himself that he could turn the situation around and that desire was greater than the lost of $$s

Was it Pressure/Threat - Trev saying we drop the threat of firing you with cause due to the  NCAA extra practice infraction  IF you agree to a restructured contract?

Was it pure love of Nebraska - recognizing he hasn't performed, humbled himself to take less, and believe it would be less of a crisis for the program if he accepted the stepdown contract and make the needed  changes to the program?

This....  JMO...

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, TGHusker said:

agreed.   

Yeah. That's the question everyone's asking. But every possible response works in the University's favor. 

It also suggests Trev was more than willing to fire Frost, and he and Frost handled the situation like grown men. 

1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Yeah. That's the question everyone's asking. But every possible response works in the University's favor. 

It also suggests Trev was more than willing to fire Frost, and he and Frost handled the situation like grown men. 

Is it better to fire your friends a couple weeks before Thanksgiving or a day after? 

Also.. If the media were not so hell bent on painting everything in such a negative light, it is already a pretty neat story. Not often does a state, university, AD and coach all work together like this.  It is a supremely Nebraska thing all around.  It's as rare as a coach with a 4 year losing record turning things around and running for a natty  in year 8 ;)

trev essentially committed to 1 more year of frost unless he makes a bowl game.

what assistants and recruits are coming here knowing frost has 1 final year to win?

you either got to let him go or commit to him long term. committing to 1 more year is a horrible idea.

not to mention you are probably going to see players transfer to a more stable program after this year.

the next coach will be taking over a disastrous situation if frost doesn't win next year.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, huskerfan333157 said:

So you'd rather have a long term commitment and possibly have 4 more years of losing seasons. I'm sure 8 losing seasons in a row would want the recruits to come here!

i mean if i'm a recruit i would rather start fresh with a new coach that i know will be around...

3 minutes ago, BoSolich said:

trev essentially committed to 1 more year of frost unless he makes a bowl game.

what assistants and recruits are coming here knowing frost has 1 final year to win?

you either got to let him go or commit to him long term. committing to 1 more year is a horrible idea.

not to mention you are probably going to see players transfer to a more stable program after this year.

the next coach will be taking over a disastrous situation if frost doesn't win next year.

It's not really that bad of a decision for an assistant coach. Say you are the OC we choose. You get a 2 year contract at 1.5 million. You get paid 1.5 million next year then the staff gets fired and you get your buyout money and if you are a decent coach you get another job plus buyout money. Seems like a pretty good idea to me.

• Plus1 1

I wanted a new coach ... after the Minne game and even more so after Purdee game and his post game presser.  However, If the boosters don't want to pony up to pay the $20m buyout then Trev's hands were tied and he got the best deal possible.  

If Frost fails and we have to go through 1 more year of purgatory caused by the sin of firing Frank,  I think we will be in a better position to land a good coach  as there are a lot of high profile openings already out there with more to come.  NU may have been down the list on the pecking order.  Got to hope forcing Frost's hand to deliver will make this a successful turnaround.  It is all hope at this point and no koolaid :koolaid2: It will start with who he picks as OC and assistant coaches to show if that hope is based on sand or rock.  

4 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

It's not really that bad of a decision for an assistant coach. Say you are the OC we choose. You get a 2 year contract at 1.5 million. You get paid 1.5 million next year then the staff gets fired and you get your buyout money and if you are a decent coach you get another job plus buyout money. Seems like a pretty good idea to me.

if the assistant is just coming here for a quick payday, then that's probably not the assistant we want...