Frost is returning for 2022

knapplc

1 minute ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I highly disagree. Fans, particularly older fans, long for the glory of the 90s and struggle to conceive of a scenario where an outsider comes in to replace the native son.

If fans wanted to win, they wouldn't talk themselves into supporting the retention of a coach who has more losing seasons in his 4 seasons as the previous 46. A coach who's won fewer games than any other B1G West team in his 4 years. But let's be honest: Frost is here ONLY because he played here in the 90s. No outside coach would have anything close to this. Nor would they deserve it. 

But hey, it's better for a 90s guy to lower this program to the level of Illinois (who's beaten Nebraska two straight years) than for a non-Nebraskan to win games. 

So, there's a large contingency of Husker fans that don't care about winning.

Yeah......right.....

• Plus1 3

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Fans are not supporting Frost because they are happy he's a former player and totally fine with the record.  

This agenda is flat out wrong.

There are two groups of thought.

A). We need a new coach to win more.

B). Frost can win more with changes to the program.

Neither of those groups want to win more than the other.  It's just that Trev had two options to get to more wins.  He chose Frost with changes.  You can disagree with that decision.  But, that doesn't mean people who support it don't want to win.

I agree with this.

Here's where I'm at. Whether Trev fires Frost or not, we're in for a couple more struggle bus years, right?

I mean, outside of a miracle, like Urban Meyer or Bobby Stoops ending up in Lincoln, the next staff has an uphill battle on their hands, probably another losing season at the least.

I think we as fans ALWAYS have the 90s in the back of our minds, and Frost was a big part of that. So if we're going to be wading through some tough times, we'd rather do it with the true blue Nebraskan; a guy we KNOW is doing everything he can to right the ship. A guy that isn't looking for his next stop after Lincoln. To me, Frost kind of cemented this by taking the lower contract; somewhat of a sacrifice. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

I was under the impression we flush with cash, so why the contract restructuring?  I thought we could buy, or buy out, anyone. 

seems punitive to me. Seems like not making a bowl was the line in the sand for Albert’s. I hear the radio heads exuding how this is the Frost and Alberts working together, but I have my doubts. I think Frost spent some time begging and I think Trev knows who he wants. 

11 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, there's a large contingency of Husker fans that don't care about winning.

Yeah......right.....

Our own AD: "There's not a lot of data to suggest this will work, let's be honest. But I also think, if there's a decision point - whether it's football or anything else, you know, Scott's a brother, he's a Husker, he's a Nebraskan"

What part of that quote screams: "we're making decisions to win games!!"

And not: "Scott is from here so even though I think we'll lose, it's better that he's a Nebraskan". 

I think fans in large part echo the sentiments of our AD. Which is, I hope he wins, he probably won't, but it's better him than somebody else.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Glad to know you have the Husker’s best interests top of mind. Seems genuine and not trollish at all.

Is there any other advice CyHawk would like to offer?

Yes, I really do hope that the Huskers get better on the field. It is good for the health of the conference and all of the teams within. Believe it or not, I do not hate every other team in the world besides the Hawks. With the NIL and the transfer portal, we need to keep the conference strong so that we continue to get the revenues. I understand that where you are looking from (the bottom) you may have plenty of hate, but I seriously hope that things get turned around. Firing the 4 just seems odd. Show me where it has been successful to do that. Are those coaches really being blamed? Will this all of a sudden make Frost a good coach? A bad leader (and he may be a great guy) will be a bad leader no matter who falls in behind him. You will be firing him in 2 years max.

2 minutes ago, CyHawk said:

Show me where it has been successful to do that.

Historically, almost no coaching moves are "successful." The vast, vast majority of coaches are fired.

Ferentz is going to retire from Iowa just like Osborne retired from Nebraska. After that, you're going to be in the same churn every other program goes through.

Enjoy this stability while it lasts. It's not awesome when it ends.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
13 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Historically, almost no coaching moves are "successful." The vast, vast majority of coaches are fired.

Ferentz is going to retire from Iowa just like Osborne retired from Nebraska. After that, you're going to be in the same churn every other program goes through.

Enjoy this stability while it lasts. It's not awesome when it ends.

And keep in mind, Fry was there from 79 to 98. Forty two years with 2 coaches.

8 minutes ago, CyHawk said:

And keep in mind, Fry was there from 79 to 98. Forty two years with 2 coaches.

We had 33 years with 2 coaches, they averaged an .825 win percentage during that time. Man, consistency it is nice, especially when they actually won things that matter in the college football world. You wouldn't know about that, though.  It's ok, I am sure you will find somebody post Ferentz that can manage to keep your program hovering for 2-3 more decades somewhere between the .600 and .613 win percentage you all strive for.

• Thanks 1