Frost is returning for 2022

knapplc

3 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm seeing two strains of Husker Fan.

Strain One: that's us. We not only follow Husker football, we dissect it endlessly on internet fanboards, even in the off-season. We know quite a bit about about other college football teams and other sports in general. We consider ourselves loyal to the program, and the sentiment around here leaned heavily towards firing Frost for the good of the program. Everyone wanted and expected Frost to succeed. We've developed a reasonable if debatable list of potential successors. A small segment are genuine anti-Frost trolls. 

Strain Two:  Proud Nebraskans who are used to Nebraska football making them proud. They continue to fill Memorial Stadium. The can name maybe 7 players on the team, but can't name the hottest prospects in the portal, Nebraska's recruiting class status, or Scott Frost's offensive scheme. They'd prefer to run the ball more like we used to when we were winning, but trust Scott to come around to his Osborne upbringing. It very much makes a difference that Scott Frost is a native son. They don't like losing, but they are most concerned with how outsiders view Nebraska, and they've circled their wagons around Scott, attacking anyone criticizing Frost as being impatient and un-Nebraskan. They blame the media for the negativity.

Strain Two significantly outnumbers Strain One.

This is the last guy I remember talking about the strain so much. 

Can Bob Diaco Create an Identity for the Connecticut Huskies?

• Haha 1

Just now, Red Five said:

Why?  Punt returns can make a huge difference in starting field position.  Starting at your 35 vs starting at your 20 is a big deal.

agree.   a team in Nebraska's situation, wanting to compete with the big boys, should do everything they can to win the special teams and t/o battles every game.

3 minutes ago, White Flash said:

agree.   a team in Nebraska's situation, wanting to compete with the big boys, should do everything they can to win the special teams and t/o battles every game.

And those are DEFINATELY battles that coaches did not want to win this year. I really think they only wanted to win defensively. We only put the offense and special teams out there because we had to per the rules. 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

And those are DEFINATELY battles that coaches did not want to win this year.

Cam Taylor Britt started off the season as our punt returner because he was the best electric playmaker (if/once he caught the ball). But he came at the cost of insane boneheaded decisions, so they went with the safer option to try and win games and lessen the damage.

But they absolutely wanted to win that battle. Just didn't have the guy to do it. 

• Plus1 2

Based on the little that I cared to watch, I came away from today's presser with two points:

1.) Our beloved coach is not a strategic thinker.  His approach to the game is largely mired in day to day play calling activities and offensive tactics.  I think Trev pointing out that his narrow focus on offense was limiting his view of other program areas of importance was a near revelation to him.  Very telling.

2.) He affirmed the notion that these firings had little to do with job performance.  These assistants did an outstanding job in advancing the program (as we all know).  In other words, he does not recognize that there are problems with his approach or philosophy.  As a result, little will change as we enter this final year of the Frost era.

• Haha 5
5 hours ago, not me said:

I think people in general are more delusional than dishonest. Also, 3 isn't exactly right though for how a lot of people feel. They care about winning, they just care more about the good old boy being coach.

Strongly disagree. I know a lot of people won't agree with me, but I think retaining Frost for another year when the team has been so close and we can still fire him next year is the option with better chances for success than firing him now. I care more about winning, but I assess the situation differently than others do.

• Plus1 1

15 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The only returns I see getting better are punts. 

it’s stupid to return a lot of kickoffs. 

Punt coverage has improved a LOT. Special teams overall has improved a lot because we started out so horrifically bad. I'm not sure if that means Dawson is doing a good job or not though (leaning towards not).

I think it's a waste to give up a coaching spot for a ST coach though. In this day and age, have one (or more) of the position coaches responsible for practice and then hire a ST analyst (like we currently have in Bill Busch) to scheme and game plan. And the HC needs to set aside practice time for ST.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

Punt coverage has improved a LOT. Special teams overall has improved a lot because we started out so horrifically bad. I'm not sure if that means Dawson is doing a good job or not though (leaning towards not).

I think it's a waste to give up a coaching spot for a ST coach though. In this day and age, have one (or more) of the position coaches responsible for practice and then hire a ST analyst (like we currently have in Bill Busch) to scheme and game plan. And the HC needs to set aside practice time for ST.

The problem with only using a ST analyst is that he can't be on the sidelines for the game, so all in-game work falls on another position coach, which takes away his work from his own position work.  I think that causes issues in organization and decision-making within a game.

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The problem with only using a ST analyst is that he can't be on the sidelines for the game, so all in-game work falls on another position coach, which takes away his work from his own position work.  I think that causes issues in organization and decision-making within a game.

Good points, but removing a position coach and replacing with a ST coach takes away a lot more from that position work, which is my point. I'm not saying a ST coach can't work out, but I think it's much less risky to have an analyst for ST than to remove a position coach and replace that coaching somehow.

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

Good points, but removing a position coach and replacing with a ST coach takes away a lot more from that position work, which is my point. I'm not saying a ST coach can't work out, but I think it's much less risky to have an analyst for ST than to remove a position coach and replace that coaching somehow.

I made the recommendation of having Beckton do both TE's and WR's. That's very do-able IMO.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1