Frost is returning for 2022

knapplc

2 hours ago, Savage Husker said:

Didn’t Pelini have the TEs float between the golf pro and Cotton?

Rick Fisher wasn’t bad and produced some good WRs, just a funny aspect. 

Yeah, Rich Fisher caught way too much flack for spending a season as a golf pro, and being out of football. He produced solid WR's during his years at NU.

I think the TE's under Pelini would spend time with the OL and WR's depending on the drills which they were focusing on. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yeah, Rich Fisher caught way too much flack for spending a season as a golf pro, and being out of football. He produced solid WR's during his years at NU.

I think the TE's under Pelion would spend time with the OL and WR's depending on the drills which they were focusing on. 

Rich* - thank you. That approach makes sense to allow for an “extra” coach. 

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, All Hail Herbie said:

Based on the little that I cared to watch, I came away from today's presser with two points:

1.) Our beloved coach is not a strategic thinker.  His approach to the game is largely mired in day to day play calling activities and offensive tactics.  I think Trev pointing out that his narrow focus on offense was limiting his view of other program areas of importance was a near revelation to him.  Very telling.

Ehh... I think it's a stretch to say he is "not" a strategic thinker. But it is really difficult to process some of the things we've heard in recent days. The idea of him stepping back from the offense is almost being presented like... like the offense doesn't need him and other areas do. With special teams I absolutely agree, but the defense seems to largely be in a good place. I would argue the offense is the most responsible for why this team hasn't been able to win this season. It's just a bit odd.

2.) He affirmed the notion that these firings had little to do with job performance.  These assistants did an outstanding job in advancing the program (as we all know).  In other words, he does not recognize that there are problems with his approach or philosophy.  As a result, little will change as we enter this final year of the Frost era.

I strongly disagree with this. He has openly acknowledged that they needed to change things so I'm not sure what you expected him to say. Did you want him to openly dunk on a bunch of guys that worked with/for him for a long time and are friends? Guys he had to fire? Guys that he's probably trying to help damage control their situations? It would be classless and unethical to just be like "yeah these dudes suck for reasons x, y and z."

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 2

17 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Or - and hear me out here - other people simply disagree with you. But no, I'm sure all those people are just liars - not that you could be close-minded about the possibilities because - let's be honest - you're always right.

Not always, but I'm pretty sure I'm right about this one.

I'd consider alternative explanations as to why anyone would want to retain a .340 coach that has recruiting in the toilet.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

He ain't wrong. I don't really like Cowherd and he usually bashes Nebraska (well deserved) but he usually calls it how he sees it and its nice to hear he's giving props. We probably made the right call even though it's unpopular to some and obviously the assistants are key; let's hope we don't Husker it up. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

Interesting and encouraging assessment from Cowherd.  I am surprised that he and Klatt said it was the right decision.  They had some good points.  It is all wait in see at this time to see who Scott brings in as OC.

On the other side of the ledger, Jeremy Pernell piles on with this article with a lot of doubt about the ability for this one year retention to work out.    A few quotes below. 

https://www.si.com/college/nebraska/football/jeremy-pernell-nebraska-footballs-scott-frost-needs-a-miracle

Alberts is taking a chance here. Retaining Frost feels like a compromise for a fanbase that has been split on its opinions of Frost after four disappointing seasons. I already wrote about the recruiting implications of keeping Frost another year if he falls on his face again in 2022. I'll reiterate; Nebraska's 2022 recruiting class is its worst in modern history. That's already inevitable. But it'll be a small class, which helps. The thing that gets dicey is how can you expect Frost to recruit a class of difference-makers in 2023 when he will be coming off four straight losing seasons and his seat already smoldering? That class is expected to number at least 20

I think Alberts is making a mistake keeping Frost and should have made a move. Alberts has admitted Frost's former player status played a major factor in keeping his job. It feels like Alberts is giving Frost one more year because it will turn the tide of opinion one way or the other for fans, and more importantly, big-money boosters. I think the Tradition Coalition won out this time, but Frost had better show results next year or that's that.

History tells us it's not going to end well. To his credit, Alberts knows this as well. "There's not a lot of empirical data out there to suggest this will work, let's be honest. But I also think, if there's a decision point - whether it's football or anything else, you know, Scott's a brother, he's a Husker, and he's a Nebraskan."

Let's go a step further and compare not just the current coaches, but the programs. There are 65 Power Five teams. Since Frost took over at Nebraska in 2018, only six (9%) have a worse overall record: Kansas, Rutgers, Vanderbilt, Arizona, Arkansas and Oregon State. That's the sort of company Alberts is okay with Nebraska being part of, apparently. Oregon State is the only one of those six that hasn't changed coaches in that span. Give the other five credit for not getting apathetic.

It will truly take a miracle for things to work out for Frost at Nebraska. I don't think it will happen. Keeping Frost is akin to kicking the can down the road and dealing with the issue later. Well, 12 months from now that bill will come due for Alberts. All Husker fans can do is hope that strong candidates like Billy Napier and Dave Aranda don't take bigger jobs this offseason so that the Huskers can take a swing at them next November.

• Plus1 1

Lots of holes in Cowherd's assessment.   I'll just do a couple of the easy ones.

1.  wins and losses matter, you blabbering dunderhead.

B. there's nothing about Nebraska or UCLA that make them inherently "6-year rebuilds".  Devany did it in an offseason.  Not that we should expect that from everyone, but zero .500+ seasons in 4 years is butt.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, KC Sker said:

He ain't wrong. I don't really like Cowherd and he usually bashes Nebraska (well deserved) but he usually calls it how he sees it and its nice to hear he's giving props. We probably made the right call even though it's unpopular to some and obviously the assistants are key; let's hope we don't Husker it up. 

that's my take.  frost has dropped the ball this year, but the team is playing better.

one thing people maybe won't accept is that most other coaches will bounce to greener pastures if they start having success in lincoln.  frost will stay.

it's a top 20 job because of the pay, but it will always be an uphill climb to compete at the highest level.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, The Dude said:

Lots of holes in Cowherd's assessment.   I'll just do a couple of the easy ones.

1.  wins and losses matter, you blabbering dunderhead.

B. there's nothing about Nebraska or UCLA that make them inherently "6-year rebuilds".  Devany did it in an offseason.  Not that we should expect that from everyone, but zero .500+ seasons in 4 years is butt.

Devaney did it in an offseason a long long time ago.   The nature of college football is different now, the degree in which they play in is different..... the Nebraska tough boys aren't enough anymore.   We need finesse and playmakers from other states.    Roster restrictions are also a real thing.   Can he turn it around with new coaches?   Absolutely!!! I still say one of our biggest issues is discipline and being held accountable....we make stupid mistakes.   That being said, It needs to turn around NOW.   Year 5 should be a winning season at a minimum

• Fire 1