Frost is returning for 2022

knapplc

35 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

I strongly disagree with several parts of this take.

I am not surprised it is from Cowherd.

I actually agree with this take. 

I sort of see this move similar to ones where a husband and wife separate for a short time or talk divorce only to come back together and have a stronger than before relationship. Is that a rare thing? Sure it is, but in some of those rare cases it’s worked.

From the moment the pressure was put on Frost to come save Nebraska while he was in the middle of an undefeated season at UCF, I’ve wondered if he really truly wanted to be here or if he felt more obligated to be here.

He got hired and we all rejoiced and in his hiring he was given a long leash and basically the keys to the Porsche with no oversight and no rules. We felt we had to give him this because otherwise we wouldn’t have gotten him. We felt like we needed Frost and he didn’t really need us.

But now here we are. Frost was on the brink of being let go and who would blame us for doing so with his resume over the last 4 years. Even Frost himself would likely understand. 

But instead of firing him, we’ve allowed him a second chance. A rare thing in this job. 4 years of that product you don’t usually get a second chance. But with this second chance it now feels like either Frost needs us more than we need him, or we are simply truly in this thing together.

• Plus1 1

9 minutes ago, Courtesy Flush said:

Is that a good “Damn” or a bad “Damn”? We don’t want that dam to break and the portal to be flooded. 

(Pun intended)

It’s a bad damn. His coach was let go. Doesn’t mean it’s a huge damn. We will be ok. Why I like the firing right now. Gives a chance to fill the holes now 

1 minute ago, Huskinator said:

It’s a bad damn. His coach was let go. Doesn’t mean it’s a huge damn. We will be ok. Why I like the firing right now. Gives a chance to fill the holes now 

I think once Frost talks to the team and we line up a staff we will be in good shape staff/player wise.  I think the pocket books will open. A lot cheaper to pay to win now than to payoff a HC we have to fire...

Just now, lo country said:

I think once Frost talks to the team and we line up a staff we will be in good shape staff/player wise.  I think the pocket books will open. A lot cheaper to pay to win now than to payoff a HC we have to fire...

I’d be curious if the “restructuring” of the contract allows for more money for assistants and less for him. I think they are going to open up the pocket book and get splash hires.  

• Oh Yeah! 2

I explained to my wife (a passive football fan, not a Neb grad) that NU is bringing back Frost, but renegotiated his contract so he’ll get less money if they fire him next year. Her response was “Why would he agree to that? He should have told them he wasn’t changing his contract terms and they could fire him instead and take the $20M and go live on a beach for a couple years.”

I was like “good point”.

• Plus1 3
3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm fine with Martinez coming back.  But, I would love to see us try our best to go get a good QB to come in and compete.  And, an honest evaluation next year as to who the QB should be.  I'm fine if Martinez is 2nd string.  We saw this with the Vball team with Sun.  Very popular player but the coach tried other players.  She's had a great attitude as a backup.  No reason Martinez couldn't be the same.  If the new QB struggles or gets hurt, Martinez is experienced.

purdy from fsu is in the portal.  4 years of eligibility remaining.

5 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I explained to my wife (a passive football fan, not a Neb grad) that NU is bringing back Frost, but renegotiated his contract so he’ll get less money if they fire him next year. Her response was “Why would he agree to that? He should have told them he wasn’t changing his contract terms and they could fire him instead and take the $20M and go live on a beach for a couple years.”

I was like “good point”.

Maybe it's not about the money.

• Plus1 3