Sipple - Frost to make “multiple changes” on his offensive staff…

1 minute ago, HuskerNation1 said:

It may not need to fully duplicate the triple option that Army runs, but I am curious why you feel running more option would be a bad idea.  It seems to me some of the brightest moments we had on offense this season were when we had Martinez execution the option.

Once teams got a couple games worth of film, it wasn’t nearly as productive.

• Plus1 3

Just now, funhusker said:

No kidding!

If this were the case, Alberts should have just fired Frost today.  I wouldn’t even want to imagine how ugly next year would be with a lot of the same players in a new system like that.  Frost wouldn’t make it to the conference games without getting run out of town!

Agreed. I think we need better coaching in places, but I actually dig the offense. I don't want to see square peg round hole again. At some point we need to run the offense our recruits were brought in for. Callahan hat option talent running pro packages. Pelini had pro talent in spread offense. Riley inherited spread offense talent and forced them into pro again. 

Frost was just fortunate there was still some Pelini spread talent on the team when he took over. Otherwise year one would have been as ugly as the rest.

1 minute ago, RichardHangslow said:

I wonder how long this has been in the works, I mean I can't believe firing 4 of your guys is taken lightly no matter what the record has been. So that A: tells me that they have been working on this for a while and believe they have some serious upgrades in the bag and B: That Frost is going to have to 180 everything that he has done for the last 6 years as head coach, which is also not taken lightly and tells me that Trev is committed to making this thing work so BIG TIME COACHES are coming to Lincoln. 

should be fun.  Maybe we steal O'Brien or land Herman. maybe pete carrol comes in as oc  or maybe all 3 oh look at me I am getting a giddy. 

I think that's right. Don't think it has to do a 180 though. I'm sensing we're going to have some solid hires. 

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Brown will coach RB's, Analyst Verducci will coach OL, I would imagine Bill Busch will be tapped to do something as well. 

Verducci is actually a pretty damn good coach.   Would not both me if he got the full time gig. 

2 minutes ago, Gorillahawk said:

The triple offense wouldn’t work. Especially teams with speed on defense. The BIG is too good of a conference for that to have any sustained success 

I'm glad I'm not the only one on here who thinks that an option based attack would be a bad idea. There are multiple reasons that it wouldn't work over the long run. I don't mind a sprinkle of option every now and then, but not the entire offense. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, Gorillahawk said:

I agree. It can definitely be a package or ran x amount of times but it can’t be the meat and potatoes of your offense at the P5 level. We look back roundly on Osbornes teams running it but forget our offense was really  a power run offense with option thrown in 

Osborne has said multiple times that he would use the outside option game as an extension of his "passing game". That's where he was trying to generate big plays. It wasn't until Solich's limited play calling acumen where the offense switched to a more option-based run game with Crouch and Lord. 

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Gorillahawk said:

I agree. It can definitely be a package or ran x amount of times but it can’t be the meat and potatoes of your offense at the P5 level. We look back roundly on Osbornes teams running it but forget our offense was really  a power run offense with option thrown in 

Well and not only that but it took Osborne like 22 years to get it nailed down to where he could win a National Championship. That was also after he switched up his defense but still it took the master of the option 22 years

2 minutes ago, RichardHangslow said:

Well and not only that but it took Osborne like 22 years to get it nailed down to where he could win a National Championship. That was also after he switched up his defense but still it took the master of the option 22 years

I've got $5 riding on Tom didn't need someone 4 years into his tenure to tell him he needed to make staff changes, he had intuition to evaluate his staff from the very beginning 

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

17 minutes ago, RichardHangslow said:

I wonder how long this has been in the works, I mean I can't believe firing 4 of your guys is taken lightly no matter what the record has been. So that A: tells me that they have been working on this for a while and believe they have some serious upgrades in the bag and B: That Frost is going to have to 180 everything that he has done for the last 6 years as head coach, which is also not taken lightly and tells me that Trev is committed to making this thing work so BIG TIME COACHES are coming to Lincoln. 

should be fun.  Maybe we steal O'Brien or land Herman. maybe pete carrol comes in as oc  or maybe all 3 oh look at me I am getting a giddy. 

It was mentioned somewhere that Frost brought up the idea of wholesale changes after the MN game. 

Sipple also mentioned tonight that he knows for a fact that there have been some intro level talks with Jake Peetz at LSU and a mention of Mickey Joseph. 

Not opposed to Beckton taking WR but would like to see the plans for the OC (and their accompanied position specialty) before committing to a WR-Only coach like Joseph. 

Would prefer 

OC / QB

RB

WR/TE (Beckton)

OL

ST Coordinator 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, huskerfan99 said:

C413020B-95D5-4CEE-A561-623ADEE36E81.png

GwWlWCK.jpeg

38 minutes ago, RichardHangslow said:

I wonder how long this has been in the works, I mean I can't believe firing 4 of your guys is taken lightly no matter what the record has been.

Supposedly Frost made up his mind after the Minnesota game. I'm sure he'd been thinking about it for a while before then.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1