Sipple - Frost to make “multiple changes” on his offensive staff…

2 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Where'd you hear that? Seems odd he'd settle on that and still think "Well, guess I'll let these guys stick around and screw up a couple more games for us."

TA on Husker Sports Nightly mentioned it. Kinda sounded like he said “I agree Scott.. but let’s put a plan in place for what exactly that means before we start packing people’s offices”. 

@Danny Bateman It may well be that Trev hadn't made up his mind yet. And at the very least, they probably needed to get the reworked contract figured out first.

Anyway, I think this is the most interesting part:

As someone else was saying, we never really even ran the Oregon/UCF offense - it never quite materialized here. Personally, I put most of that on the offensive line, but it's almost water under the bridge at this point.

But you wonder how Frost feels about his own offense at this point. Does he feel that his coaches just weren't able to implement it well, or does he feel that it's just not suited to the Big Ten, or to college football in the 2020s, or to Nebraska? Is he really abandoning it entirely? Or will it be sort of a hybrid of the Chip Kelly offense and whatever the new OC brings in?

• Plus1 1
56 minutes ago, RichardHangslow said:

I wonder how long this has been in the works, I mean I can't believe firing 4 of your guys is taken lightly no matter what the record has been. So that A: tells me that they have been working on this for a while and believe they have some serious upgrades in the bag and B: That Frost is going to have to 180 everything that he has done for the last 6 years as head coach, which is also not taken lightly and tells me that Trev is committed to making this thing work so BIG TIME COACHES are coming to Lincoln. 

should be fun.  Maybe we steal O'Brien or land Herman. maybe pete carrol comes in as oc  or maybe all 3 oh look at me I am getting a giddy. 

Frost convinced Alberts with a plan he laid out over the course of their regular Sunday meetings, which began this summer lasting roughly 20 minutes but in recent weeks extended to two and three hours.

“I had been keeping these notes and I didn’t intend on bringing them out until the end of the season, but two or three weeks ago the conversation started getting deeper and more detailed,” Alberts said.

So on Sunday, Frost and Alberts met twice following NU’s 26-17 loss to No. 6 Ohio State and again Monday morning.

Frost laid out his vision for the future and Alberts listened. Alberts maintains that he did not tell Frost he had to make coaching changes, though Frost did.

“Ultimately, Scott brought a plan to me that contemplated a lot of the things we had talked about over the last several weeks,” Alberts said. “I want to be very clear. I did not mandate that Scott fire any coaches at all. No coaches. That was not part of it. This is Scott Frost’s vision, and I believe that’s the role of the head coach and CEO of the football program.”

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

One thing I think is becoming very clear.

We made a grand slam - out of the park hire with Trev.

While I was in the get rid of him camp, what they came up with is a very workable solution that I didn't think would ever happen but will stand behind 100%. Trev's candor and forthcoming statements are so refreshing to see. I feel confident, whether this works out or not, we are in good hands with Trev as AD - Finally.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, lo country said:

Crazy thing is if Frost pulls off the impossible and goes 7-5/8-4 next year.  Maybe a bowl win....how do fire that guy......On the surface, based on who we beat this year, next year could just as easily be a 4-8/5-7 year.  Gotta earn it before I will look at Purdue and Minnie and say "teams we should beat"....We are 1-3 against both.  

I don't think Trev is willfully allowing the program to dive deeper into irrelevance to save money.  I think he did this in an attempt to prove the doubters wrong and give Frost a lifeline and chance at redemption.  It wasn't to kick he can down the road to make firing easier next year.

Idealism will get you into trouble with this situation.  Trev is not seeking to willfully injure the program in an effort to save money, nor is he seeking to give Coach Frost a chance at redemption.  He is simply approaching the situation strategically.  Dismiss half the staff without as much as a whimper (gaining favor with those wanting transition and replacing them with short-timers), limiting the cost of separation next year through a re-structuring and appear to be graceful to those faithful Frost loyalists who would never forgive him for terminating this Coach.   Not bad for a man who has been on the job for 3 months.

2 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

Idealism will get you into trouble with this situation.  Trev is not seeking to willfully injure the program in an effort to save money, nor is he seeking to give Coach Frost a chance at redemption.  He is simply approaching the situation strategically.  Dismiss half the staff without as much as a whimper (gaining favor with those wanting transition and replacing them with short-timers), limiting the cost of separation next year through a re-structuring and appear to be graceful to those faithful Frost loyalists who would never forgive him for terminating this Coach.   Not bad for a man who has been on the job for 3 months.

In a lose-lose situation, Trev came out with a W. 

And at worst, a moral W - which we know most are fans of! 

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, Husker1994 said:

In a lose-lose situation, Trev came out with a W. 

And at worst, a moral W - which we know most are fans of! 

Exactly.  While we debate meaningless staff additions that will neither alter our current trajectory, nor maintain a presence in Lincoln beyond November, 2022, Trev is contemplating a post-Frost future...

Frankly, it's the sort of strategic thinking that I would like to see in our next head coach.  Hmmmmm.

• Haha 3
2 hours ago, BoNeyard said:

In 4 years I never saw Scott Frost UCF offense or Chip Kelly’s Oregon offense. I was waiting to see it, never saw it. What we witnessed the last 4 years was not any of those offenses.

I agree with this. I think we saw pieces. Wandale for sure. And I think this is also a key reason he stuck with AM. Frost views him as that Mariota, Milton key cornerstone piece. It just never came together with everything needed to make it work and we always tinkered around the edges instead of building the OL and RB to be the bread and butter to open up  the field for playmaking, which I would argue we had inferior talent there as well. Combine that with the grind of the BIG vs inferior conferences and it was the recipe for losing seasons. We needed this change badly.

• Plus1 2

6 hours ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

One thing I think is becoming very clear.

We made a grand slam - out of the park hire with Trev.

While I was in the get rid of him camp, what they came up with is a very workable solution that I didn't think would ever happen but will stand behind 100%. Trev's candor and forthcoming statements are so refreshing to see. I feel confident, whether this works out or not, we are in good hands with Trev as AD - Finally.

I was going to post this exact same thing. Whether Frost works out or not, I have a lot of confidence in Trev moving forward.