Sipple - Frost to make “multiple changes” on his offensive staff…

8 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

The problem is there's more than enough work for experienced coaches to handle--adding on the responsibilities of bringing on Ahman Green and getting him up to speed is something the coaches don't have bandwidth for at this point. *Maybe* when we get on the right side of .500 after a season or two and we're competing for the B1G West, *then* we can have this discussion. But not now.

Yeah I definitely see the argument against it. I think best plan of action is to hire the OC and let him have a heavy hand in the picking of position coaches. 

@Hedley Lamarr  I'm assuming that's a joke cuz I feel like he gets a lot of hate, but I wouldnt hate that hire. I dont think he actually wants to seeing how he likes the attention of being on the radio and BTN. I do think he understands and can relate to the kids pretty well though, and we need very technical coaches but I dont know for sure obviously, but I feel like at least some of the offensive struggles are players that dont look comfortable in what they are doing. 

But again I do get not wanting to hire someone who doesnt have a good amount of experience coaching at a high level at the position we want them for. I think they should be picked with the new OC and if they are ok with it then that is the best way for it to work. 

3 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Coastal Carolina has a top 10 rushing offense.....with a foundation in triple spread option....rumor has it that Frost and Chadwell are actually friends. Frosts new option wrinkles are actually from the holy grail of Chadwell spread triple option. 

I hope he doubles Jamey Chadwell's salary at Coastal to be his OC....just sayin ha 

Now I could put my stamp of approval on that..  Perhaps the two of them could cook up an offense that the Big 10 will  truly have to "ADAPT TO US" :stir

9 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I agree completely. You want a seasoned OC. Perfect world would be someone like Tom Herman with something to prove. Maybe he is only here for a year or 2 before jumping ship to be a HC again. Well worth it as that would mean he fixed it and Frost could find another one. 

3 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Herman - knows the Big 10, Knows Texas recruiting.  He's made some mistakes in Texas, but we need someone who can take charge of that side of the ball like Chin has on D.  It could be a stepping stone back into being a HC again.  However, if Frost 'failed' then it means that the O side failed again and that will be on the OC as much as Frost. 

I wouldn't mind Herman, knowing it wouldn't be a long term solution. He's run a good offense. Also leaves us a potential head coach in waiting should Frost fail next year. 

That said, I think its pretty important that hires are able to scoop recruits from other teams that have changed coaches. Don't have the time to see which OC candidates are available that would fit that profile, but that would be the best of both worlds. 

I could also see Frost calling in Helfrich. Provides some continuity in offensive philosophy that way,  not sure if I'd be thrilled about it though. 

10 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Why make this move to hire an unexperienced OC to learn on the job? Not a fan of this move at all, and if I'm Frost I want a proven commodity to save my a**. Just saying. 

Oh I would prefer that too. The situation we are in shrinks the applicant pool considerably. I think they want someone that will bring in transfers, adjust the offense to maximize the personnel we will have - since an elite OC isn't walking through the door. Reasons for hope if it is Peetz, they have 6'1 235lb RB they ran 36 for 287 against Florida and 23 for 104 against Bama, seems like a recipe we could use with Mr. Yant. I think Peetz would make an offense where TEs, and the Betts/Mannings of the world would not only be on the field, but be a highlight of the offense. Peetz would be far from a sure thing, I agree with you there. 

16 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Why not just hire Damon Benning then? 

did Damon Benning play 12 years in the NFL?  most of which on one of the best franchises of all time.  Last I check, no.  Now I'm not saying that makes Ahman a better coach but he's a winner and played with and for winners most of his career.  I would assume he was a professional when it came to his position because he stuck around that long.  Plenty of good backs flame out because they don't know how to prepare for games and just hope their abilities get them by.  I think that is something Ahman can bring to the table as a coach.  I'm sure he picked up some tricks along the way throughout his career.  i also doubt either one get a serious look

11 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

I wouldn't mind Herman, knowing it wouldn't be a long term solution. He's run a good offense. Also leaves us a potential head coach in waiting should Frost fail next year. 

That said, I think its pretty important that hires are able to scoop recruits from other teams that have changed coaches. Don't have the time to see which OC candidates are available that would fit that profile, but that would be the best of both worlds. 

I could also see Frost calling in Helfrich. Provides some continuity in offensive philosophy that way,  not sure if I'd be thrilled about it though. 

Some have commented on here they are hearing we may switch offensive system. If that is true then Helfrich makes no sense as he is an Oregon guy

• Plus1 3

I think Frost hires Helfrich and here is why. I think Frost wants to still have control of the offense but at the same time have trust in someone that see's and thinks the way he does. If he goes out there and hires a proven offensive coordinator, well that means that person has likely not worked with Frost much because Frost is a young head coach and has yet to develop his coaching network. He has only coached with a limited number of offensive coordinators. It also means that new offensive coordinator may have completely different philosophies, may be a completely different style and he simply might not mesh with Frost. Now, Frost knowing he has maybe just one year to be successful here, does he run that risk and make that gamble on an unknown coaching partner to help save his job?

With Helfrich he gets a proven offensive coordinator and someone who has also been a head coach. Frost likely trusts Helfrich since they worked together for so many years and Helfrich proved to trust Frost by making him his offensive coordinator once. He also gets someone he can trust and someone he might feel comfortable with gambling his potentially last season at Nebraska and within the Power 5. 

Also if Helfrich is interested in getting back into coaching this may be an opportunity for him to step in and get his name back out there. If he feels he and Frost can get this to work, his name will start to be thrown out there as a head coach somewhere again. It may also be one of those things where Helfrich agrees to come work for less because the offensive duties will be split between he and Frost and that means Frost can invest the money into a top notch offensive line coach.

It may not be the higher many of us want, he doesn't necessarily excite me because I feel like Lubick is a poor mans Helfrich and I am done with this 2012 Oregon connection, but if you look at the situation Frost has himself in, he may look for a potential quick fix to save more time so he can make a long term fix later.

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, RichardHangslow said:

Herman would be a great fit. As I and others have said the recruiting ties to Tejas and Ohia are exactly what we need to get us to the next level.  Would also IMO go a long way in recruiting Riolas boy. 

Tom Herman would be a great hire for OC. Art Briles would be pretty good too. Could get him on the cheap I am sure since he is coaching high school in Texas right now.

• Plus1 1

Just now, Huskers93-97 said:

Tom Herman would be a great hire for OC. Art Briles would be pretty good too. Could get him on the cheap I am sure since he is coaching high school in Texas right now.

We are trying to make amends with the Football God's, hiring Art Briles would set us back another 20 years with them.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

I think Frost hires Helfrich and here is why. I think Frost wants to still have control of the offense but at the same time have trust in someone that see's and thinks the way he does. If he goes out there and hires a proven offensive coordinator, well that means that person has likely not worked with Frost much because Frost is a young head coach and has yet to develop his coaching network. He has only coached with a limited number of offensive coordinators. It also means that new offensive coordinator may have completely different philosophies, may be a completely different style and he simply might not mesh with Frost. Now, Frost knowing he has maybe just one year to be successful here, does he run that risk and make that gamble on an unknown coaching partner to help save his job?

With Helfrich he gets a proven offensive coordinator and someone who has also been a head coach. Frost likely trusts Helfrich since they worked together for so many years and Helfrich proved to trust Frost by making him his offensive coordinator once. He also gets someone he can trust and someone he might feel comfortable with gambling his potentially last season at Nebraska and within the Power 5. 

Also if Helfrich is interested in getting back into coaching this may be an opportunity for him to step in and get his name back out there. If he feels he and Frost can get this to work, his name will start to be thrown out there as a head coach somewhere again. It may also be one of those things where Helfrich agrees to come work for less because the offensive duties will be split between he and Frost and that means Frost can invest the money into a top notch offensive line coach.

It may not be the higher many of us want, he doesn't necessarily excite me because I feel like Lubick is a poor mans Helfrich and I am done with this 2012 Oregon connection, but if you look at the situation Frost has himself in, he may look for a potential quick fix to save more time so he can make a long term fix later.

I wouldn't be upset if Helfrich was brought in to be the OC. 

This would be my choice to replace Held at RB Coach: Ra’Shaad Samples of SMU.

As running backs coach, Samples helped Ulysses Bentley IV to FWAA Freshman All-America honors (the first Mustang in history) and AAC Rookie of the Year honors in 2020. The redshirt freshman was also a member of the Doak Walker and CFPA Award Watch Lists.

Bentley IV led the league with 913 rushing yards and 11 rushing touchdowns in 10 games. His 11 rushing TDs set the SMU freshman single-season record and his 913 rushing yards in the regular season were over 200 more than any other player in the conference. His rushing TD and total TD totals ranked 17th nationally, while his rushing yards were 18th, and his 12 total TDs made him one of only two freshmen nationally with 10+ total TDs.

Samples also developed Burlsworth Trophy nominee Tyler Lavine, a walk-on who had a career season as a redshirt-sophomore in 2020. Lavine finished with 61 carries, 310 yards and five TDs on 5.1 yards per carry.

The Mustangs’ 2021 recruiting class is the highest-ranked in program history and features the highest signee for SMU. It also boasts the highest average recruiting rating in the American Athletic Conference and is better than 16 Power 5 programs.

Samples finished as the No. 1 recruiter in the conference (247sports), after the December Signing Day period, landing him as a top-30 recruiter in the country among the Power 5 and Group of 5. Among Group of 5 schools, Samples was the nation’s top recruiter.

During the 2020 season, Samples was listed among 247Sports’ 30-Under-30 list and was on the Dave Campbell's 40 Under 40 list in 2021.

https://smumustangs.com/staff-directory/ra-shaad-samples/2664

Bring Bentley with him

Special Teams Coordinator - Bill Busch

Offensive Coordinator/Wide Receivers - Mark Helfrich OR Mickey Joseph OR Brian Hartline 

Running Back - Ra’Shaad Samples OR Marquel Blackwell OR Kevin Faulk OR Ron Brown

Offensive Line - Frank Verducci OR Sam Gregg OR Donovan Raiola (current Bears OL assistant) 

2 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Special Teams Coordinator - Bill Busch

Offensive Coordinator/Wide Receivers - Mark Helfrich OR Mickey Joseph OR Brian Hartline 

Running Back - Ra’Shaad Samples OR Marquel Blackwell OR Kevin Faulk OR Ron Brown

Offensive Line - Frank Verducci OR Sam Gregg OR Donovan Raiola (current Bears OL assistant) 

I may be wrong here but isn't the Bears offensive line really bad?

For Offensive Line coach I'd be happy if we somehow took Wisconsin's, Iowa's, Minnesota's, or one from the SEC. Pay them big money to come here.