Sipple - Frost to make “multiple changes” on his offensive staff…

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

So gang, where do we stand on the talent issue?

Most of the talent is fine, IMO. This year's WR group was a much needed upgrade (aside from guys being injured at times). I think we've recruited reasonably well at RB, but they're still kinda under-performing. Some of that is the O-line, but I'm not certain how much. The situation with kickers has been some bizarre bad luck, Frost made a good choice in grabbing Culp as a transfer, only to see him get the yips in his second year.

But as of now, the O-line is where we most desperately need an upgrade in talent - and experience. Experience matters on the O-line probably more than anywhere else on the field. You need experienced starters, and you need a pipeline ready to replace them when they leave or get injured, and to date we've developed neither.

• Plus1 4

I think Nebraska has talent enough to hang with the elite caliber players, but do they have the depth? Did anyone have a bingo card for the hyphenated WR to go off for 200+? I still believe AM *could* win a game against those caliber of teams, but I wouldn’t put money on it. 

I see Duvall’s name getting thrown out to be replaced as S&C coach, I don’t have an opinion on his overall quality of work. However, this team is in a much better place both physically and conditioning to where they can play all four quarters with anyone, which wasn’t the case in 2017, nor in 2018 after a whooping like Michigan. I’m sure there are some areas that could be tweaked. 

Either way, it’s time to knock a team off that’s “better” than them and it’s time to beat the Purdue, Minny, Illinois level of teams each year. 

• Plus1 1

Just now, HuskerNation1 said:

Anybody with thoughts on Mike Thiessen (Offensive coordinator and QB coach at Air Force)?  He has led an offense that finished in the top 4 in rushing the past SIX years.  

https://goairforcefalcons.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/mike-thiessen/970

I honestly don't know the answer to this.

These military academies are so often at the top of the list in rushing and their coaches so often are listed by fans as someone who we need to hire because of it.

So.....who has been successful rushing the ball at these academies and has left to a P5 program and replicated that success into being a dominant winning program?

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I honestly don't know the answer to this.

These military academies are so often at the top of the list in rushing and their coaches so often are listed by fans as someone who we need to hire because of it.

So.....who has been successful rushing the ball at these academies and has left to a P5 program and replicated that success into being a dominant winning program?

paul johnson did a great job at gtech.

• Plus1 3

It's less important what you do than how you do it. There are loads of examples over the decades in college football of offenses, from extreme rushing to extreme passing, that take a fairly small number of concepts and practice those to a high level of mastery.

The Husker offense these last several years has two huge problems that has put us in this position: redzone scoring and finishing halves. Those scenarios create constraints on an offense and without a high level of mastery in something it's hard to have confidence when you absolutely must convert. There are a lot of things we've seen Frost try, but I wouldn't say his Husker offense has ever mastered anything. The offense has done a pretty decent job every year moving the ball, and more consistently against better competition, but it's done a rather poor job converting yards to points.

The challenge for the new staff will be in installing an offense that can get to a high level of mastery very quickly. Their job is to provide enough of a foundation that proves it is a better investment going forward that just wiping the whole slate clean.

• Plus1 1