Sipple - Frost to make “multiple changes” on his offensive staff…

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I honestly don't know the answer to this.

These military academies are so often at the top of the list in rushing and their coaches so often are listed by fans as someone who we need to hire because of it.

So.....who has been successful rushing the ball at these academies and has left to a P5 program and replicated that success into being a dominant winning program?

Fair point and I honestly have not followed too many who left academies for P5.  I do think it's still a pretty significant accomplishment to lead an offense that finished in the top 4 in rushing for so many consecutive seasons.  Since Pelini left, Nebraska has struggled with running the ball with our RBs on a consistent basis and I think a dominant rushing game should be the identity of the offense in the future.  An OC that knows how to utilize RBs in conjunction with the OL can bring that skillset to the Big Ten in my opinion.

• Plus1 1

12 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Fair point and I honestly have not followed too many who left academies for P5.  I do think it's still a pretty significant accomplishment to lead an offense that finished in the top 4 in rushing for so many consecutive seasons.  Since Pelini left, Nebraska has struggled with running the ball with our RBs on a consistent basis and I think a dominant rushing game should be the identity of the offense in the future.  An OC that knows how to utilize RBs in conjunction with the OL can bring that skillset to the Big Ten in my opinion.

Unless I'm missing something, none of the top 5 in the playoff rankings are in the top 10 in rushing offenses.The closest one is Oregon and #17.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/23

Georgia = 41

Alabama = Not in top 50

Oregon = 17

OSU = 42

Cincinnati = Not in top 50

Nebraska = 33

Top 10 rushing offenses:

Airforce

Army

Syracuse

Arkansas

Ol Miss

Kent State

Michigan

Baylor

Coastal Carolina

Oregon State

Not really a hot list packed full of dominating teams.

You have to be able to both pass and run to be where we all want to be.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 2
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Unless I'm missing something, none of the top 5 in the playoff rankings are in the top 10 in rushing offenses.The closest one is Oregon and #17.

Georgia = 41

Alabama = Not in top 50

Oregon = 17

OSU = 42

Nebraska = 33

Top 10 rushing offenses:

Airforce

Army

Syracuse

Arkansas

Ol Miss

Kent State

Michigan

Baylor

Coastal Carolina

Oregon State

That's the key here I think.  We don't need to be a power rushing team solely,  we simply need to be able to use the power run when we need it and on demand. As you said,  we must be able to throw the ball to win this conference and make the playoff.  If folks want to be Air Force and GT to only squeak out 6/7 wins some years and have losing seasons in others,  that's what we'd get by switching solely to what they do.  I personally still want hope of winning the conference again someday. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Georgia = 41

Alabama = Not in top 50

Oregon = 17

OSU = 42

Cincinnati = Not in top 50

Nebraska = 33

Top 10 rushing offenses:

Airforce

Army

Syracuse

Arkansas

Ol Miss

Kent State

Michigan

Baylor

Coastal Carolina

Oregon State

I am not saying we have to give up on a passing game to focus on a dominant running game.  I feel a big part of our challenge in recent years has been our inability to get first downs on 3rd/4th and short or when we get in the red zone.  

As for data, Michigan is not too far off making the playoff and they are in the top 10 this year. In 2019 Ohio State finished 3 in the final rankings and they were in the top 5 of rushing offenses in the nation.  

23 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I am not saying we have to give up on a passing game to focus on a dominant running game.  I feel a big part of our challenge in recent years has been our inability to get first downs on 3rd/4th and short or when we get in the red zone.  

As for data, Michigan is not too far off making the playoff and they are in the top 10 this year. In 2019 Ohio State finished 3 in the final rankings and they were in the top 5 of rushing offenses in the nation.  

I've read it multiple times from both college and NFL coaches: every defense starts with stopping the run. Do not let a team start running on you, because even a passing team will take advantage of that. 

It's just harder these days for a team to announce their intention to run. You will have to do everything better to keep good defenses guessing, and your run/pass ratio may change from quarter to quarter or game to game depending on what defenses will give you. I'm guessing the correlation between rushing offense and ranking is always going to be a mixed bag. 

Nebraska was able to thrive for 40 years because it had a pipeline of dominant linemen, and could usually wear down 7 out of 8 teams in the Big 8.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Yes, we need to be better in those situations. 

It just seems like people want that to happen. So, let’s go hire a coach that about only run the ball. Well, we need to find that guy that has a good rushing attack, and passing attack….in the ratio we think can win here.  

I like Frosts ratio of run pass. 

3 hours ago, runningblind said:

That's the key here I think.  We don't need to be a power rushing team solely,  we simply need to be able to use the power run when we need it and on demand. As you said,  we must be able to throw the ball to win this conference and make the playoff.  If folks want to be Air Force and GT to only squeak out 6/7 wins some years and have losing seasons in others,  that's what we'd get by switching solely to what they do.  I personally still want hope of winning the conference again someday. 

There is literally no proof that this is what would happen. I can throw out predictions, too: If we keep doing the crap we're doing now, we'll keep winning 3-5 games a season. 

• Plus1 1

41 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

There is literally no proof that this is what would happen. I can throw out predictions, too: If we keep doing the crap we're doing now, we'll keep winning 3-5 games a season. 

I know I have stated that I don't believe that switching to an offense like the flex bone and running a ton of triple option would be successful and I stand by that. I feel like the proof is in the pudding so to speak. There is a reason why no team in a P5 conference runs it. Georgia Tech with Paul Johnson was the last to do so, and he was never uber successful in the ACC with it. It is a great offense in it's own right, however it is typically used when you are going to be out athleted against just about every team you face, so you hope that you can take advantage of teams potential lack of discipline on defense, and cause them trouble.

And guess what....it works every once in awhile. BUT when you play in a conference like the BIG or SEC where pretty much every team has lots of speed on defense, and are typically coached extremely well it doesn't work. When is the last time Navy beat Notre Dame? It was 2016, before that it was 2010. The service academies are currently 0-3 against P5 conference opponents.                                  

Now I know the argument against what I am saying is that we have better athletes than the schools who currently run that particular offense. And yes you are right, so I can't say for sure that we wouldn't have more success against P5 schools than them. Again I have to continue to go back to there is a reason no P5 schools run it. The offensive scheme Frost has been using isn't terrible, however I agree with the fact that we do indeed need to have more of a power rushing element to what we have been doing, because too many of our drives have stalled out because we can't get 1 or 2 yards when we need it. I am hoping that a new OC, OL Coach and RB coach can remedy that issue.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

I think what you will see from the top teams is being efficient in all phases of the game. Special teams they have a guy who can get touch backs nearly every time, good punter, field goal kicker makes their kicks. Defense- usually elite against the run and good against the pass. Offense. I think too much is weighed on run/pass percentages. I think if you are great at one and efficient enough at the other. and you have all those other pieces you will be a top 10 team. Great at run and can pass enough to threaten the D. Or great at passing but can run enough to throw off the D. Those teams at the top are not at the top because they pass it 60% and run it 40%. There are at the top because they are good at all 3 phases of the game. 

You could go find teams who are great at running but have s#!tty special teams and a bad defense and they dont win alot. 

You could go find teams who are great at passing the ball but have s#!tty special teams and a bad defense and they dont win alot. 

It takes all 3 phases to be top 10. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Jeremy said:

You are essentially making yourself one dimensional by doing that, teams will dare you to beat them throwing the ball and loading the box.  This has played out in thousands of games, that is the proof you are ignoring.  That is the goal of a defense to make an offense one dimensional and therefore easier to defend.  You are helping them do that with this change.

• Plus1 1