Sipple - Frost to make “multiple changes” on his offensive staff…

3 hours ago, ActualCornHusker said:

From the sounds of his last few podcast interviews, I'm not even sure he'd come back if he got offered the head coaching job again

I was being sarcastic. There’s no scenario where Bo returns unless it’s to be honored at the halftime of some game. 

he wouldn’t return nor would I want him. The game has passed him by 

• Fire 4

godam, why does Paul Johnson keep getting brought up as if his stupid option offense was even anything close to what Nebraska used to do?  It just like bringing up a damn Dodge Neon and comparing it to a Supra because they both have front bumpers.   Starting to piss me off.   Go watch an old  Husker game and please tell me if it looks anything at all like that stupid crap Johnson was running.  

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1
On 11/8/2021 at 8:09 PM, krc1995 said:

An occasional option play was cute for awhile. I don’t think it would be successful as a base option. 

I will never understand why people think the option is "outdated"! It is an offense built on blocking and offensive line schemes. Big mother-loving plows up front, that moved DIRT! It is built to control time of possession and wearing your opponent out with many 2-3 yard plays. The option was NEVER defeated!!! We just retired and fired it. We had a foundation of different position coaches and all we did all day long was live drills against our own defense.  We were chopping some trees down with the option, but they wanted Barabbas! Discipline and physical training should never change regardless of a generation for a program. Unfortunately, back then with the people in charge of the University; I personally think they wanted to go all LA. They got charmed by the notoriety and flattery, before social media even. Still can't believe that Tommy Lee nonsense.  For some reason, I feel ex-huskers as AD and Head Coach will do something to exorcise the demons of the radical mistake of dishonoring Tom Osborne. I really think 2022 is is going to be our hump year of starting our new bowl record!!! Scott Frost can coach longer than Tom now too! kool-aid-oh-yeah.gif.9447762d4b28adbf3f74a52f98f36cbd.gif

• Oh Yeah! 2

On 11/25/2021 at 11:13 AM, nupowr said:

godam, why does Paul Johnson keep getting brought up as if his stupid option offense was even anything close to what Nebraska used to do?  It just like bringing up a damn Dodge Neon and comparing it to a Supra because they both have front bumpers.   Starting to piss me off.   Go watch an old  Husker game and please tell me if it looks anything at all like that stupid crap Johnson was running.  

Because people are lazy and don't understand that those offenses are actually built to try to overcome talent deficiencies and size differences due to military academies being naturally smaller. Run well it can be effective because of all the eyewash but it's extremely limited and can be adjusted to pretty quick. Anybody who played hs football in Iowa and played Ankeny up until their split knows it's an offense that's tricky, but once you figure out the motions and your keys it's becomes super easy to guess the desired hole. Blow the play up from the start and it's even more screwed. That's why teams that run it need a good defense too. It is not designed for scoring explosions. It's designed to maintain control of the game and make you out think yourself. It's a terrible offense for this level of football

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
42 minutes ago, Swiv3D said:

Because people are lazy and don't understand that those offenses are actually built to try to overcome talent deficiencies and size differences due to military academies being naturally smaller. Run well it can be effective because of all the eyewash but it's extremely limited and can be adjusted to pretty quick. Anybody who played hs football in Iowa and played Ankeny up until their split knows it's an offense that's tricky, but once you figure out the motions and your keys it's becomes super easy to guess the desired hole. Blow the play up from the start and it's even more screwed. That's why teams that run it need a good defense too. It is not designed for scoring explosions. It's designed to maintain control of the game and make you out think yourself. It's a terrible offense for this level of football

If it's terrible how do they use it to overcome talent deficiencies?

If it was terrible, given the talent deficiencies, you'd think they'd only win a couple games a year at most.

• Thanks 2
21 minutes ago, The Dude said:

If it's terrible how do they use it to overcome talent deficiencies?

If it was terrible, given the talent deficiencies, you'd think they'd only win a couple games a year at most.

Because they aren't playing at the top level... exactly like I said. If they played a p5 schedule they would get wrecked because of how much smaller they are. It's an offense that requires absolute discipline and no mistakes by the entire unit, perfect for military academys. As we saw at GT, if you can manage to get the horses, you can keep up and win games against less disciplined teams but it does not attract the offensive players needed for P5 and isn't a good long term option

Just now, The Dude said:

If they have talent deficiencies it implies they're playing above their level.

And again they aren't playing a p5 schedule. NDSU can win games against mediocre p5 teams, but against a full slate of p5 they'd get their s#!t rocked. It's a good system AT THEIR LEVEL of competition

1 minute ago, Swiv3D said:

And again they aren't playing a p5 schedule. NDSU can win games against mediocre p5 teams, but against a full slate of p5 they'd get their s#!t rocked. It's a good system AT THEIR LEVEL of competition

They aren't playing solely against other military academies either.  They're playing D1 football teams.  Remember the talent deficiencies. 

They're beating D1 teams with talent deficiencies AND a terrible system.  Amazing.

I didn't know NDSU ran the flexbone now.  They were a pro-style smashmouth team last I watched them.

• Plus1 1
On 11/25/2021 at 11:13 AM, nupowr said:

Nobody is saying that Nebraska ever ran Paul Johnson's Flexbone. This 'stupid option offense' led GT to 2 ACC Championships, and they destroyed Dak Prescott's MSU Bulldogs in the Orange Bowl, setting the rushing record for that bowl in the process. They beat a loaded Georgia team a few times, top-5 Florida State, and got a few other wins bigger than anything we've had since 2015 or even 2001. 

Some of us would like to see Nebraska adopt the Flexbone as their offense because it would be a rock-solid identity in Lincoln for the first time since 03. Everyone is crafting their defense to stop spread-style offenses, not the Flexbone. We would be hard to prepare for, unique, and nobody could truly simulate what we do with their scout offenses. 

We wouldn't be losing recruiting battles to Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Minnesota, Iowa, and Wisconsin, because we wouldn't be recruiting against them very much for the same types of players, at least on offense. There are a litany of other reasons why this would be beneficial for us, but for some reason, most people want to stick with the same kind of stuff that's given us 6 losing seasons in the last 7 years. Why stay with what hasn't worked for most of a decade?

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, The Dude said:

They aren't playing solely against other military academies either.  They're playing D1 football teams.  Remember the talent deficiencies. 

They're beating D1 teams with talent deficiencies AND a terrible system.  Amazing.

I didn't know NDSU ran the flexbone now.  They were a pro-style smashmouth team last I watched them.

They're playing the D1 teams that we'd be throwing a fit over losing to. And I never said NDSU ran flexbone, I know they don't. What I'm saying is what they do at their competition level doesn't translate well unless they straight up have better athletes than the competition. They do have good athletes, which us how they pull those upsets, but they are not good enough to play a full schedule of those teams (like Frosts UCF beating Auburn). At the top level everyone is good and can beat anyone so relying on 1 way to win doesn't work (overpowering vs. outsmarting) you have to be able to adjust and be creative in how you find ways to win.

This team we had this year is a prime example of that. We always had the talent to win games and at times looked really good on offense, but when good coaches made adjustments with equal opposing talent our system held us back from making any adjustments ourselves. We looked great against teams like Buffalo, Fordham, and overpowered a really bad NW purely on talent. Against better teams that resisted, Frost would fall back on bread and butter plays and it wouldn't work. Worked at the lower because he could cheese the team speed compared to the rest of the aac but not here. Defense got worn out since it's out on the field all the time and poof -> 3-9

• Plus1 1