Sipple - Frost to make “multiple changes” on his offensive staff…

7 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Remember when every good defense lined up to stop our running quarterback, and dared us to beat them with his arm?

For the last 20 years or so?

That's what a flexbone will look like in the Big 10. 

Even Tom Osborne has said his offense probably wouldn't work against today's defenses. 

That doesn't mean we can't run more or better. Every offense will run the ball down an opponent's throat if that's what the defense gives them. 

A modernized Tom Osborne offense would have looked pretty similar to what Florida ran in the 2000s. 

42 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

The bonehead mistakes come from asking these kids to do things they just aren't capable of. Martinez is a great athlete, but he's not going to pass for 300+ every game, and we would need him to if we wanted to compete for the B1G West. He's definitely not going to light up the scoreboard with the offensive line that we have now. 

I disagree. Total yardage-wise, he's already averaging 300 a game; all he (or any other QB) has to do is cut down on turnovers and increase his completion % by a couple points. Perfectly doable with proper coaching. 

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2

I'll never forget going to a Cal game to watch Chip Kelly's Oregon back in the heyday.

First possession of the game, Cal stops the Ducks at Oregon's 38 yard line. Fourth and four. Cal holds, Oregon has to punt. Nice start.

Except Oregon doesn't punt. They walk up to the line, run a standard play, pick up the first, then continue down the field to score a touchdown.

Then for no apparent reason, they go for two and get it.  8-0 Oregon. First quarter. 

I guess you could never recommend that style of play, but those Chip Kelly teams played ramblin' gamblin' football with an incredible degree of confidence, and that was baked into the coaching and culture. 

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Its almost like there is a reason that no team outside of the 3 service academies runs that offense.  But I guess we should trust a guy on the internet more than 120 D1 football coaches.

Absolutely, there are reasons why only they run the Flexbone. Doesn't mean it wouldn't be effective here. Frost is 15-27 trying spread stuff. That in itself is proof that trying to be like everyone else is not a great idea. We need to be different.

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'll never forget going to a Cal game to watch Chip Kelly's Oregon back in the heyday.

First possession of the game, Cal stops the Ducks at Oregon's 38 yard line. Fourth and four. Cal holds, Oregon has to punt. Nice start.

Except Oregon doesn't punt. They walk up to the line, run a standard play, pick up the first, then continue down the field to score a touchdown.

Then for no apparent reason, they go for two and get it.  8-0 Oregon. First quarter. 

I guess you could never recommend that style of play, but those Chip Kelly teams played ramblin' gamblin' football with an incredible degree of confidence, and that was baked into the coaching and culture. 

When he had the going it was so fun to watch.  

It seemed like every run was an 8 yard gain and every pass the WR was wide open.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

A modernized Tom Osborne offense would have looked pretty similar to what Florida ran in the 2000s. 

I disagree. Total yardage-wise, he's already averaging 300 a game; all he (or any other QB) has to do is cut down on turnovers and increase his completion % by a couple points. Perfectly doable with proper coaching. 

I guess the real question, then, is who is the quarterback whisperer that's going to swoop in here and turn our QB into Pat Mahomes?

Just now, Cdog923 said:

He doesn't have to be Patrick Mahomes, he just has to be Joe Ganz. 

Hey, I'll give you that. If we were as efficient as our 2008 offense under Watson (man, what happened to him?), I think this coming game against Wisconsin would be for the B1G West. 

Joey Ganz as QB coach confirmed?

• Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

Now do we see Mickey Joseph come to town? LSU staff is definitely in trouble. Keep your eye on it.

After all the outright denials Frost wanted him, wouldn't that be ironic.........

That would also imply and give backing to Jake Peetz for OC, if LSU's staff is toast.

Hearing whispers of both those names. Also if that happens, then it obviously makes it moot on any stepping down/separation talk after Iowa.

chatter picking up on Dominic Raiola for OL coach....don't be surprised. current strength coach for the Lions. 

• Plus1 1

24 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

This is a good point, but the Flexbone doesn't JUST feature a running quarterback.

Sure, he may run the ball, but there are 3 OTHER guys that could get the ball on any given play. It's not all on the quarterback, and that's the main problem we've had the last several years. Also, like I said, the Flexbone is not the same as Osborne's offense, and there's absolutely no proof that B1G defenses would eat it alive. The only proof I have going for me is the fact that Army marched into Ann Arbor a few years ago and took them to overtime. Who is more talented - Army, or us?

Pretty sure the Steelers just ran the flex bone on MNF against the Bears.  ran it like 4 or 5 times.  mixed results but had a few plays pick up 1st downs

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

Hey, I'll give you that. If we were as efficient as our 2008 offense under Watson (man, what happened to him?), I think this coming game against Wisconsin would be for the B1G West. 

Joey Ganz as QB coach confirmed?

He's currently coaching WRs at UNI; I don't know if Frost still has any connections there, but I wouldn't mind it. 

3 minutes ago, RichardHangslow said:

Now do we see Mickey Joseph come to town? LSU staff is definitely in trouble. Keep your eye on it.

After all the outright denials Frost wanted him, wouldn't that be ironic.........

That would also imply and give backing to Jake Peetz for OC, if LSU's staff is toast.

Hearing whispers of both those names. Also if that happens, then it obviously makes it moot on any stepping down/separation talk after Iowa.

chatter picking up on Dominic Raiola for OL coach....don't be surprised. current strength coach for the Lions. 

gets signed as the OL coach and then immediately says "if Dylan was my son I would tell him to go to Oklahoma"

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
7 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

Beyond that, think of the field day ALL the opposing recruiters would have with it.

So you're thinking about committing to NU son, let me show you some of the emails your new coach sent and what he really thinks about you.

i missed this. Can you catch me up to speed with this comment?

31 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

Absolutely, there are reasons why only they run the Flexbone. Doesn't mean it wouldn't be effective here. Frost is 15-27 trying spread stuff. That in itself is proof that trying to be like everyone else is not a great idea. We need to be different.

That doesn't mean the spread doesn't work here.  That means the Frost/Martinez version of the spread doesn't work here.

• Thanks 1