Sipple - Frost to make “multiple changes” on his offensive staff…

34 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

This is a good point, but the Flexbone doesn't JUST feature a running quarterback.

Sure, he may run the ball, but there are 3 OTHER guys that could get the ball on any given play. It's not all on the quarterback, and that's the main problem we've had the last several years. Also, like I said, the Flexbone is not the same as Osborne's offense, and there's absolutely no proof that B1G defenses would eat it alive. The only proof I have going for me is the fact that Army marched into Ann Arbor a few years ago and took them to overtime. Who is more talented - Army, or us?

I agree with a lot of what you're suggesting, but I think Osborne was referring to defenses getting much faster at both DL and LB, making it harder for any slow developing play to get the corners. Whether it's a QB or a choice of RBs, the play is moving horizontal. That works great if you're mixing it up with some vertical lanes, but announcing your intentions as a Run First, Second, and Third offense makes it easier to scheme against. Osborne passed a little more than some remember, and those 18 attempts a game made the option more dangerous.

Especially when your option QB rolled down the line, then suddenly took a three step drop and had a safe, easy pass. Always thought that was perfect for Adrian Martinez's skill set, but don't recall seeing it often. 

• Plus1 1

16 minutes ago, RichardHangslow said:

Now do we see Mickey Joseph come to town? LSU staff is definitely in trouble. Keep your eye on it.

After all the outright denials Frost wanted him, wouldn't that be ironic.........

That would also imply and give backing to Jake Peetz for OC, if LSU's staff is toast.

Hearing whispers of both those names. Also if that happens, then it obviously makes it moot on any stepping down/separation talk after Iowa.

chatter picking up on Dominic Raiola for OL coach....don't be surprised. current strength coach for the Lions. 

I can just imagine that conversation, scene: Frost on a recruiting trip. Young Dylan has just gone to bed. Frost and Dominic crack a beer. 

Dominic: Hey, for reelz though, you know I bleed red, but If you want my boy to come play for you, you gotta fix that offensive line. 

Frost: I know man, we have the kids, we just can't seem to get the message through. Haha, you want to come fix it???

Both: Awkward chuckle.... 

Frost: But really, though??? 

• Haha 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1
20 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

He's currently coaching WRs at UNI; I don't know if Frost still has any connections there, but I wouldn't mind it. 

Nothing against Joe Ganz, as he has done pretty well for himself as a college coach, but why is every recommended assistant coach a former player or native of Nebraska.  Why limit ourselves in the available coaching pool?  I just don't get it.  It's every time NU goes through a coaching change or hires new assistant coaches.

@Cdog923 I'm not directing my question directly at you or even about Joe Ganz, it's more of a general question.  I'm just quoting your post as an example.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 2
16 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Nothing against Joe Ganz, as he has done pretty well for himself as a college coach, but why is every recommended assistant coach a former player or native of Nebraska.  Why limit ourselves in the available coaching pool?  I just don't get it.  It's every time NU goes through a coaching change or hires new assistant coaches.

@Cdog923 I'm not directing my question directly at you or even about Joe Ganz, it's more of a general question.  I'm just quoting your post as an example.

I totally get it, and I agree on general principle. 

• Plus1 1

30 minutes ago, Red Five said:

That doesn't mean the spread doesn't work here.  That means the Frost/Martinez version of the spread doesn't work here.

It means we can't move the chains in any sort of running game nor get those tough two yards.  I don't care if that is the spread or our version.  It hasn't worked.  We have an OL that can't or hasn't been called to make a two yard push or to stay on the field and use up the clock.

Overall, I don't get the bash of what Jeremy is saying.  Perhaps that's because I'm thinking about the "mindset" in what I see in the Flexbone that takes me back to the glory years in my mind where you saw a man in front of you and you moved him to where you wanted him and drove a truck through that hole.  That sounds like a terrible thing to have happen again.

To believe that the Spread will do that in any fashion is a good chuckle ... oh, I mean, the "right version" of the Spread.

51 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

I can just imagine that conversation, scene: Frost on a recruiting trip. Young Dylan has just gone to bed. Frost and Dominic crack a beer. 

Dominic: Hey, for reelz though, you know I bleed red, but If you want my boy to come play for you, you gotta fix that offensive line. 

Frost: I know man, we have the kids, we just can't seem to get the message through. Haha, you want to come fix it???

Both: Awkward chuckle.... 

Frost: But really, though??? 

If he has/had a coaching background I’d find a spot for him if that brought his kid.  It’s worth a coaching spot if he’s as good as they say.  
edit..or an analyst role 

• Plus1 1

So gang, where do we stand on the talent issue?

The chorus for years has been that Nebraska is just woefully outmanned and out-recruited, and simply doesn't line up against the Big 10s best.

Complain all you want about the end result, but it's hard to deny that Nebraska is indeed "close" if we play four Top 10 teams down to the last minute before shooting ourselves in the foot. Defense turned things around with the same talent. Even our overwhelmed offensive line did enough right to let us lose one-score games on turnovers and special teams blunders. We have enough talent to be the #2 offense in the Big Ten. 

Nowhere was the talent imbalance supposed to be more apparent than Ohio State, and it looked a lot closer than anyone here predicted. That includes QB.

So yeah, talent is willing to come to Nebraska. Maybe Jimmys and Joes ain't our biggest problem. 

• Plus1 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1

4 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The chorus for years has been that Nebraska is just woefully outmanned and out-recruited, and simply doesn't line up against the Big 10s best.

Complain all you want about the end result, but it's hard to deny that Nebraska is indeed "close" if we play four Top 10 teams down to the last minute before shooting ourselves in the foot. Defense turned things around with the same talent. Even our overwhelmed offensive line did enough right to let us lose one-score games on turnovers and special teams blunders. We have enough talent to be the #2 offense in the Big Ten. 

Nowhere was the talent imbalance supposed to be more apparent than Ohio State, and it looked a lot closer than anyone here predicted. That includes QB.

So yeah, talent is willing to come to Nebraska. Maybe Jimmys and Joes ain't our biggest problem. 

We have the talent to play with just about anyone. I think that played a big part in Trev’s decision. 

• Plus1 1

47 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

If he has/had a coaching background I’d find a spot for him if that brought his kid.  It’s worth a coaching spot if he’s as good as they say.  
edit..or an analyst role 

8 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Special Teams--even with the offense in the state that it is, if we had even a competent Special Teams corps and skill position players, we win at least a couple of those games. 

My question/concern is how Frost let Special Teams get to the point where it is currently. I mean...other than the O-Line, this is the big, glaring, neon-colored hole in our team that's causing us the most consternation, right?

Conversely, it would be hard to be Trev, look at the 37 points dropped by Special Teams, look at the 43 points we lost by, and not think that this is fixable and worth keeping Frost around for. 

• Plus1 2

43 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I think NU has good talent, as in more talent than many teams in the Big Ten, but it's not elite talent (compared to Ohio State, Michigan, maybe Penn State).  Where NU has struggled is in talent development and consistency of displaying that talent.  There are also times where NU has "played slow" in terms of not playing with confidence and being hesitant on the field.

• Plus1 1