Jump to content


Sipple - Frost to make “multiple changes” on his offensive staff…


Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, 3gunhusker said:

And neither was your weak assessment based on win-loss records.

Jeremy put forward that the triple option offense will work because of the W-L record of the best season of 4 teams that run triple option. I'm showing that it doesn't look as rosy if you look at more than just each of those teams' best season. I'm not making an assessment so much as showing that the argument put forth isn't a good one as it's cherry picking data.

  • Plus1 2
Link to comment

5 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Jeremy put forward that the triple option offense will work because of the W-L record of the best season of 4 teams that run triple option. I'm showing that it doesn't look as rosy if you look at more than just each of those teams' best season. I'm not making an assessment so much as showing that the argument put forth isn't a good one as it's cherry picking data.

You are trying to argue with the masses that think they understand exactly what's going on, yet don't actually have a clue.   He will argue with you and shortly will start calling names.    It's not worth the argument honestly.

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment
24 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I think some Husker fans carry a pocket rolodex of exhausted and banal Husker football topics to insert into any conversation that has to do with offensive scheme or coaching.

 

Frost is sticking with the spread. Nebraska's never going to run a triple option scheme (nor should they).

Can I get one of those rolodex's?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
38 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I think some Husker fans carry a pocket rolodex of exhausted and banal Husker football topics to insert into any conversation that has to do with offensive scheme or coaching.

 

Frost is sticking with the spread. Nebraska's never going to run a triple option scheme (nor should they).

Hey, we might get Willy Korn from Coastal. Now, what they do might not be solely considered a 'triple option' scheme per se, but they've certainly utilized Triple, Speed, Load, and Lead options quite a bit in their scheme. 

 

So that would be cool. 

Link to comment

17 hours ago, The Dude said:

I like how people pretend you're not allowed to throw the ball if you're an option team.

 

This is an extreme case, but I think back to our 2007 coaching search, when a lot of people wanted Paul Johnson. There was a quote from him, where he said something to the effect that he'd pass more if he had the players for it. Fast forward to the end of his tenure at Georgia Tech, and after more than a decade of coaching there, his passing offenses never finished higher than #112.

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Toe said:

 

This is an extreme case, but I think back to our 2007 coaching search, when a lot of people wanted Paul Johnson. There was a quote from him, where he said something to the effect that he'd pass more if he had the players for it. Fast forward to the end of his tenure at Georgia Tech, and after more than a decade of coaching there, his passing offenses never finished higher than #112.

Was he the coach there when Calvin Johnson was at GT?

Link to comment
53 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I was curious about that, too, but there was no overlap between the two.  Calvin's final season was in 2006, Paul's first year as coach was 2008.

Paul Johnson did have Demaryius Thomas, though. They used him as an effective decoy and then change of pace to keep the defense honest. He only caught about 3-4 passes per game but averaged 20-25 yards per catch and was drafted in the first round. Paul Johnson won 9 and 10 games his first two years with DT, then dropped to 6-7 after Thomas was drafted. 

  • Plus1 2
Link to comment

1 hour ago, Ulty said:

Paul Johnson did have Demaryius Thomas, though. They used him as an effective decoy and then change of pace to keep the defense honest. He only caught about 3-4 passes per game but averaged 20-25 yards per catch and was drafted in the first round. Paul Johnson won 9 and 10 games his first two years with DT, then dropped to 6-7 after Thomas was drafted. 

Thanks!  I remember Ga Tech having a WR who was drafted high around that time period.  Just forgot it was Thomas.  Johnson also inherited Thomas, which definitely helped Johnson have a big play threat in the passing game a handful of times a game.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Thanks!  I remember Ga Tech having a WR who was drafted high around that time period.  Just forgot it was Thomas.  Johnson also inherited Thomas, which definitely helped Johnson have a big play threat in the passing game a handful of times a game.

 

GT having Calvin Johnson and Demaryius Thomas at WR is one of the more bizarre college football nuggets ever and why college football is so great.  They also had Stephen Hill who was a total bust but I'm convinced got drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round solely because he was a big fast guy from GT and the Jets thought they were getting the next stud WR from GT.

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.





×
  • Create New...