Year 5 Expectations

2 hours ago, BoNeyard said:

Martinez has taken out more coaches than he has wins as a starter.

Worst QB in our history to go along wiith the head coach. Can't wait for another "killer" season with them both. Can someone explain how not having a Special Teams coach has helped this squad this year? What a joke. Our ST have cost us more games than they have won or even made no impact either way. 

When we end up with 9 losses this year, I would expect to see only 8 next year. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Fair point.  If the goal was to help with the financial aspect while also breathing some new hope into the program, I guess you can say he achieved that.  I am not sure Trev would have hurt himself by picking a new coach if that new coach got the job done, but it would be a potentially riskier gamble to take as a first year AD.  

Exactly.  He is maintaining faith with both camps right now (Frost loyalists and detractors).  I think the results next year will be similar and he will then have both the political capital and performance metrics to transition the program to new leadership.

2 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

And if Frost shocks the world and goes 8-4 next year, Trev will look like a genius for sticking with him.  I have no doubt Trev want's this to work with Scott, but what he has orchestrated here is essentially a probable win-win scenario for himself and more importantly, the University/Athletic Department.  If things go poorly, then at worst Trev has bought himself another year to work on his list of prospective replacement targets.  If one is, in fact needed.  Really a brilliant move.  

No question.  A masterstroke of political genius.  The detractors get something, the loyalists get something, and the University gets something (a buyout rebate).  Not bad.

As for shocking the world, let's leave that to a coach who is capable, such as Jimbo Fisher winning the National Championship at A&M.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, All Hail Herbie said:

Exactly.  He is maintaining faith with both camps right now (Frost loyalists and detractors).  I think the results next year will be similar and he will then have both the political capital and performance metrics to transition the program to new leadership.

politics has transferred magically to football, sigh.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

I cant remember the game, but there was a sideline shot when Frost was talking with Ron Brown. You could tell Frost was explaining something. Brown put his arm around him. I knew at that moment, something was coming. You could feel the frustration Frost had. 

I looked at my wife and said “Changes are coming”. 

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, hunter49 said:

politics has transferred magically to football, sigh.

No.  It is political in the sense that the decision was strategic and calibrated to ensure that all groups remain satisfied and supportive of the path ahead.  Moreover, the decision yesterday was made with self-preservation in mind (for the athletic director).  

• Haha 2
14 hours ago, PaulCrewe said:

I have no expectations.   It is really the best way to not set yourself up for major disappointment

That’s a negative feeling, and I have it too.  It seems to have creeped in over this past season, quite gradually.  The Forde Sports Illustrated piece about how the AD here and others in decision making roles have basically given up on the football program by keeping Scott Frost would be the last stop as to where my thinking would go;  I’m not quite there, but I see it on the horizon.  

minimum floor for next year is 7-5.  I think 8-4 is achievable and depending on who our qb is/staff/changes, 9-3 wouldn't be a ridiculous unachievable record.  Breakdown below- obviously nothing is a given from this progrum thus far but simply playing sound football to your potential week in and week out but there is runway to improve win rather easily.

If any of the games below go worse than breakdown, frosty is out in my mind.  Hes run out of excuses, put up or shut up time

Wins (Table stakes to justify him staying- if any of these are duds, hes gone):

Northwestern

North Dakota

Georgia Southern

Rutgers

Indiana

Illinois

Losses (Keep it close, no embarassments):

Oklahoma

Michigan

Wisconsin

Toss Ups That we should win (I'm ok with 1-1 here, both cant be losses or hes gone)

Purdue

Minnesota

Toss Up that most likely are a loss (just f'n beat these clowns already):

Iowa