Year 5 Expectations

2 hours ago, BoNeyard said:

We will have to agree to disagree on that one. I think keeping him one more year and see if he can put together a competent staff which results in improvements was the smarter and more financially responsible decision.

If he can’t? Well he made his own fate, then we can search for a new coach letting them know we gave a guy 5 years to try and obtain a winning season. As we have the reputation of firing coaches after 9 win seasons.

Also it’ll be way cheaper which may be needed in the middle of building a brand new football facility.

This was nothing more than a strategic decision by the athletic director.  While he is rightly evaluating job performance based on metrics, he recognizes the political aspect at play here; namely the sentimental place that this coach holds with loyalists (boosters and fans alike).  To sack him this season would mean his own undoing.  

In effectively removing Coach Frost "piecemeal", he removes half the existing staff in one fell swoop, limits the University's buyout exposure next season, and comes out looking like a fair-minded and reasonable administrator.  Almost Machiavellian the way this was handled....

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

This was nothing more than a strategic decision by the athletic director.  While he is rightly evaluating job performance based on metrics, he recognizes the political aspect at play here; namely the sentimental place that this coach holds with loyalists (boosters and fans alike).  To sack him this season would mean his own undoing.  

In effectively removing Coach Frost "piecemeal", he removes half the existing staff in one fell swoop, limits the University's buyout exposure next season, and comes out looking like a fair-minded and reasonable administrator.  Almost Machiavellian the way this was handled....

This quote perfectly illustrates my point (very strategic approach).  Trev knows that this exercise will ultimately fail, but that it checks all three of the boxes I mention above.  The only losers are the fans, but hells bells, what is one more season of losing football so long as we get to cry one more time when watching Coach's 1997 highlight film.  

"There's not a lot of empirical data out there to suggest this will work, let's be honest. But I also think, if there's a decision point - whether it's football or anything else, you know, Scott's a brother, he's a Husker, and he's a Nebraskan."

8 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

Fair point.  If the goal was to help with the financial aspect while also breathing some new hope into the program, I guess you can say he achieved that.  I am not sure Trev would have hurt himself by picking a new coach if that new coach got the job done, but it would be a potentially riskier gamble to take as a first year AD.  

5 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

And if Frost shocks the world and goes 8-4 next year, Trev will look like a genius for sticking with him.  I have no doubt Trev want's this to work with Scott, but what he has orchestrated here is essentially a probable win-win scenario for himself and more importantly, the University/Athletic Department.  If things go poorly, then at worst Trev has bought himself another year to work on his list of prospective replacement targets.  If one is, in fact needed.  Really a brilliant move.  

• Plus1 3
11 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Doesn't matter what our expectations are. If they make a bowl, that'll be considered a success.

I'm a little concerned because while our offense should (hopefully) be better if we land a top transfer QB, our defense will likely take a step backwards.

The defense will have a bunch of time to attract top notch talent out of the portal. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

This quote perfectly illustrates my point (very strategic approach).  Trev knows that this exercise will ultimately fail, but that it checks all three of the boxes I mention above.  The only losers are the fans, but hells bells, what is one more season of losing football so long as we get to cry one more time when watching Coach's 1997 highlight film.  

"There's not a lot of empirical data out there to suggest this will work, let's be honest. But I also think, if there's a decision point - whether it's football or anything else, you know, Scott's a brother, he's a Husker, and he's a Nebraskan."

That quote is very "telling" and furthers your rather "gloomy" prognostications.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, BoNeyard said:

We will have to agree to disagree on that one. I think keeping him one more year and see if he can put together a competent staff which results in improvements was the smarter and more financially responsible decision.

If he can’t? Well he made his own fate, then we can search for a new coach letting them know we gave a guy 5 years to try and obtain a winning season. As we have the reputation of firing coaches after 9 win seasons.

Also it’ll be way cheaper which may be needed in the middle of building a brand new football facility.

What's numbing is it appears someone had to tap Scott on the shoulder to tell him to do so because it never dawned on him over the past 4 years.  There must be something to be said for having a $20M buyout to make one comfortable enough to be introspective of their job results while doubling down on forcing a once proud programs hostage for hiring beyond competency and capacity.  Hard black and white results are not on the asset side of the ledger for Scott, Frost has had 1 winning season in 6 years with a business card that had the title Head Coach, AND that one winning season was in the mid major arena with a team he did not create, rather inherited the players.  It's going to take money and a fair amount because Scott's entire resume might cast enough of a shadow on the legacy of Husker Football because it's 6 coaches and on the verge of hearing "now serving #7" since 2003.  Last week there was a report that came out about the dead money in college money over the past decade that exceeded $500M thanks to (1) coaches agents negotiating the contracts for the "flavor of the season" coaches that have brief resumes (2) bad AD decision making agreeing to the ask price for a 2-4 year HC based on potential for 1 big season in the moment AND (3) TV revenue greed in my opinion. 

• Plus1 1
45 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Yeah but it's not that easy. Why would top-notch talent want to come to a sinking ship where the HC is on the hot seat? Maybe grad transfers or seniors with one year of eligibility...

Because most guys in the portal are looking for one to two years. And Nebraska will put them in the league if they're capable. That's been the beauty of this year on defense. A lot of guys made or are making money. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1