The Next Five Weeks

knapplc

I actually think we beat Wisconsin. I've kept this to myself for most of the year, but from the beginning of the season I had this feeling that we would beat Wisconsin. Even during the bad weeks it was a game on the schedule where I thought Nebraska will show up for that game and win it somehow. Now, with everything stacked against them, no coaches, no bowl game, pointless two games remaining, I still see reasons that we somehow pull this one off.

I guess now with the possibility of Martinez not playing, that means this dream I have of beating Wisconsin rests on the shoulders of Smothers. I just got a feeling about this one.

• Haha 1

I think Martinez will play.  It will be chaos on the offensive coaching side for the rest of the season and you need his "game experience" and" maturity" to help navigate through the lack of coaches. 

Also throwing in Smothers again Wisconsin (#1 at 3.78 ypp) and Iowa's (#4 at 4.35 ypp) defenses is a recipe for disaster, not only for the team but also for Smothers.  If we were playing NW and Purdue then you could think about it, but not against those monsters.

• Plus1 4
30 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Frost will sit him. He's got the excuse of the assistants being fired for whatever happens with Smothers in the next two games. 

It will be terrible optics (if that even matters anymore) to play Martinez when you've so openly admitted he's got a broken jaw. That was all set up in the post-game pressers. 

Although I absolutely agree with you with "excuse" aspect, he runs a very risky proposition.  If he plays Smothers and Logan excels, Frost will be putting pie in his own face.  Can you imagine what the fan base will say if Smothers comes in and actually beats Wiscy or Iowa.  Talk about complete lack of confidence in SF if that happens, and that would be from the SF fans.  

As I stated, if AM gets surgery or calls it a career (behind the scenes....pushed out), then SF will play Smothers.  I don't think he will risk further reputation damage by sitting AM if AM is able to play.  Too risky in the large picture.  With that said, anyone who thinks Smothers is "better" than AM probably never coached.  As a long time coach, it is absolutely crazy to me to think that a coach isn't putting the best player on the field.  A step farther is that AM's teammates ALWAYS have his back, and that would NOT be the case if they truly felt that Smothers was better.  Last time I checked the players and coaches see every practice, while we as fans see only games. 

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
23 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

I've seen some talk about poaching some of LSU's out-going guys, maybe even Willy Korn out of Coastal? If they are indeed getting Korn, I see a lot more triple and lead option in the future. While it isn't the flexbone, it's a start.

I find the Costal idea interesting.  I believe Hedley mentioned in the other thread that Chadwell and Frost are friends and some of Frost's option plays may have originated from Chadwell. 

• Plus1 1

I'd like to see Smoothers play.   No need to trot an injured AM out on the field - little to gain, a lot to lose now that we know he has these injuries.  

Perhaps Frost already has the assistants picked and can name them this week - so they can coach the team and recruit. Maybe he holds off telling us who the OC is until after the regular season games are completed and Scott will take on that responsibility for the remaining 2 games. 

11 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I find the Costal idea interesting.  I believe Hedley mentioned in the other thread that Chadwell and Frost are friends and some of Frost's option plays may have originated from Chadwell. 

Why in the world would Chadwell leave a HC gig that's going really well for an OC position? The guy is going to get HC offers from big name schools starting this season. I don't know who Coastal's OC is, but we could probably snag that guy.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Why in the world would Chadwell leave a HC gig that's going really well for an OC position? The guy is going to get HC offers from big name schools starting this season. I don't know who Coastal's OC is, but we could probably snag that guy.

I didn't say he would.  I was responding to the post about Korn - Costal's OC coming here

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

Serious question, not be sarcastic or attacking.....

Do those of you who think SF will name permanent replacements soon, believe that if those replacements are currently coaching at a high level and are successful, will "jump ship" from their current team at this point in the season and come here for the last few weeks?

Remember, I said I was asking to get opinions, not attacking.  With that, I personally believe that if he wants to lure the best of the best available for "position-coaches" (bc we aren't getting a HC caliber guy to be a position coach here), he will let those guys finish their year with their current team. 

7 minutes ago, HANC said:

Do those of you who think SF will name permanent replacements soon, believe that if those replacements are currently coaching at a high level and are successful, will "jump ship" from their current team at this point in the season and come here for the last few weeks?

Remember, I said I was asking to get opinions, not attacking.  With that, I personally believe that if he wants to lure the best of the best available for "position-coaches" (bc we aren't getting a HC caliber guy to be a position coach here), he will let those guys finish their year with their current team. 

Helfrich isn't coaching anywhere is he?  

If we hear an announcement before the 1st weekend in December, it's probably him...

There's no way an assistant is hired and begins coaching within the next week or two. That kind of stuff rarely happens. And the only potential hires that would be announced would be guys that currently don't have jobs.

As for the QB situation, I have no clue what's going to happen there but I see a couple of reasonable arguments, the first being that you play Martinez because of his experience and knowledge. Smothers is clearly not ready to start because they've chosen a hobbled AM over him in recent games. Even though postseason play is likely off the table, I still think you want to do everything you can to try and win these last two games. Optically, finishing the season 4-8 or even 5-7 with an outside shot at a bowl is better than 3-9. May not be by much, but a win is a win.

The second argument is you start Smothers because you don't have much to lose at this point and you anticipate AM to be leaving after the season. However, some people (perhaps without any evidence) seem to think Smothers already has one foot in the transfer portal.

And if you don't know what to do, then you rely on the same strategy you would any other game - play the dude that gives you the best chance to win.

16 minutes ago, HANC said:

No I think they will be jettisoned staff at other power five schools that will bring recruits with them.