The Next Five Weeks

knapplc

I question our ability to attract currently employed top level assistants.  It will be obvious to all that Scott's position with Nebraska hinges on next years performance.  Why would someone currently performing well in their current job want to take the gamble of one and done at Nebraska?  Our only chance to do so would be if Trev is a big part of selling the job. 

43 minutes ago, HANC said:

Do those of you who think SF will name permanent replacements soon, believe that if those replacements are currently coaching at a high level and are successful, will "jump ship" from their current team at this point in the season and come here for the last few weeks?

I'm not sure what they're going to do, but the timing of it seems like there's a plan in place. 

We're already paying the four fired assistants. Why not let them coach the last two games? That's, legit, about as far as the logic in my OP went.

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I'm not sure what they're going to do, but the timing of it seems like there's a plan in place. 

We're already paying the four fired assistants. Why not let them coach the last two games? That's, legit, about as far as the logic in my OP went.

It lets the college football world know that we are looking for new coaches and we don't have to go behind anyone's back.  Also, it allows the fired coaches to reach out and try to find other jobs.  Although they still are under contract through next year, they can start putting out feelers on their next job.  It's a positive for them, honestly.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It lets the college football world know that we are looking for new coaches and we don't have to go behind anyone's back.  Also, it allows the fired coaches to reach out and try to find other jobs.  Although they still are under contract through next year, they can start putting out feelers on their next job.  It's a positive for them, honestly.

And they don’t have to go out and half heartedly recruit knowing that they are lame ducks…

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

37 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I question our ability to attract currently employed top level assistants.  It will be obvious to all that Scott's position with Nebraska hinges on next years performance.  Why would someone currently performing well in their current job want to take the gamble of one and done at Nebraska?  Our only chance to do so would be if Trev is a big part of selling the job. 

This is exactly what I am afraid of.  I posted in another thread. I believe this will hinder the process. Furthermore, we are not close to being an attractive destination at this point.

Just now, HANC said:

This is exactly what I am afraid of.  I posted in another thread. I believe this will hinder the process. Furthermore, we are not close to being an attractive destination at this point.

With that said, if the athletic department uses the 8.5 million, alongside the additional 1 mil they are saving by restructure and put that money that "was" already counted into the budget to pay assistants...... $$$$ tends to talk

6 minutes ago, HANC said:

I think we will offer a good salary and a strong brand name in the college football industry.  Yeah, it's not as strong as it used to, but it's still good, especially if the assistants can lead a turnaround.

5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think we will offer a good salary and a strong brand name in the college football industry.  Yeah, it's not as strong as it used to, but it's still good, especially if the assistants can lead a turnaround.

I kinda see it as a win-win situation for whoever comes in. They're going to get PAID either way, and paid pretty well. If they turn the offense around then they look like geniuses. If it doesn't work out, then they can say Frost is f#&%ing idiot and it's all his issues 

• Plus1 2

39 minutes ago, GSG said:

I kinda see it as a win-win situation for whoever comes in. They're going to get PAID either way, and paid pretty well. If they turn the offense around then they look like geniuses. If it doesn't work out, then they can say Frost is f#&%ing idiot and it's all his issues 

I thought it was all Riley's fault still?

• Haha 4
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

My understanding is that those four were fired immediately.  They aren't finishing out the season.

They could have announced that those four are moving on, pull them from recruiting, but at least let them help with practice and game planning the next couple of weeks.  Although, that would be awkward for all involved also.

4 minutes ago, funhusker said:

My understanding is that those four were fired immediately.  They aren't finishing out the season.

They could have announced that those four are moving on, pull them from recruiting, but at least let them help with practice and game planning the next couple of weeks.  Although, that would be awkward for all involved also.

Yes, I know the 4 fired assistants are done immediately.  You don't want guys out recruiting if the head coach knows he's going to fire them.  That would be a terrible look, as the assistant coaches are the ones trying to have the closest relationships to the high school players.  Also, there is limited practices this week due to the idle week.  After this weekend, there are 6 practices left.  The interim assistant coaches will be able to run those practices just fine, and Frost can handle the offensive game plan, which he mostly does anyway.

8 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Why in the world would Chadwell leave a HC gig that's going really well for an OC position? The guy is going to get HC offers from big name schools starting this season. I don't know who Coastal's OC is, but we could probably snag that guy.

Willy Korn.  Been with Coastal 5 years.  Receivers coach/KO coach to QB's and now Co-OC/QB's....

Chadwell would make more money.  If things pan out as OC, IMHO, it opens up more doors to show his O can bang week in and week out with the P5 teams.....If the O does well and NU parts ways, he has a shot to be HC....He was also with Joe Moglia while he was HC at Coastal.  Joe was an advisor at NU with Bo so there are some NU ties.  Some of Frost's new triple option are elements of Coastal.  

• Thanks 2