What sort of offensive scheme do you think Frost will/should adopt?

Toe

Spread offenses have a classic Achilles heel: what happens when you're in the red zone and there's no room on the field to spread the defense out? I think the problem becomes more acute in the Big Ten than it does in the PAC or AAC, or even the Big 12. And obviously, it's been a huge problem for Frost's offense the last few years.

From what I gather, Frost's plan to address that this year was to switch to more of a power-based scheme in the red zone. But I think it was just too much of a stretch: not enough time to rep such a different philosophy along with the 'base' offense, and players who weren't suited to run both types of offenses.

So I would guess that the next logical step is to look for an offense with more of a power element to it, that can be run anywhere on the field. Exactly what form that will take will probably depend more on the coaches available than anything. It'll probably require a change in recruiting philosophy, although to some extent I think Frost has already been moving in that direction.

He needs to go back to his original presser when he was hired.  He needs to find that offense whereby the Big 10 has to "adapt to us".  It didn't take long for the Big 10 to figure out Scott - no adaption was needed.  I think we need to either (1) replicate the Wisc Way which was a replication of the Nebraska Way - thus go back to our power running roots. or (2) Incorporate more of what Costal Carolina does in their offense.   We've tried West Coast, Spread, zone read, Pro set over the past 20 years.  Nebrasksa needs to get back to its power running roots IMHO.  I'm not saying  running the full Tom Osborne play book and the option as Tom read it but placing a primary emphasis on the OL & RB with the QB being a field manager and not the whole offense.  

• Plus1 1

Like in war, it's the stronger and more physical that pound their enemy into submission that win.  "Finesse" looks real nice on paper ... and yes, it can be "successful" for periods and times.  In the end, the only way you take control is when you take a beachhead, secure it and then impose your will onto the opponent.  

Frost said that he had hoped that the rest of the B1G would have to conform to him.  Currently, he is still on that road of discovery in seeing that his utopia will not be given to him but he has to take it by force.  In other words, you have to build the OL and the DL.  The war is won in the trenches.  We've been on a 15 year journey in "la la land".  It's to the point now that it is "systemic".

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
Just now, captain_sasquatch said:

Frost has always talked about blending Oregon speed with Husker Power. Let's do that, but 70/30 in favor of Husker Power.

Keep the option wrinkles he's thrown in, start going under center a bit more, and ditch some of the kitschy spread stuff that doesn't work in the B1G without tOSU level talent.

Yes- I think to be consistent year in and year out we are better off not relying on needing an elite QB. Rely on a new PIPELINE and solid backs. Sure you try to get an elite QB just like everyone else. But you don't NEED one to be good.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

I mean, if he just simply cuts down the zone read play call where 2AM guesses wrong 80% of the time we're guaranteed to see massive improvements

This and 2 oline replacements. This is kind of where I am at. I think it'd be a shame to throw out the whole offense at this point, because I think its failings has really been more of a jimmy and joes issue 

3 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

I mean, if he just simply cuts down the zone read play call where 2AM guesses wrong 80% of the time we're guaranteed to see massive improvements

OSU completely ignored 2AM on one of those plays and tackled Rahmir for a minimal gain. If Martinez keeps it, he gets 20 or a house call (couldn't see the defense past about 20 yards).

• Plus1 2