What sort of offensive scheme do you think Frost will/should adopt?

Toe

4 minutes ago, r06ue1 said:

Also, Navy nearly beat Wisconsin this season with a triple option and look at their recruits (mostly 0 stars). When was the last time we were that close to beating them? 

I think you mean Army, as they played Wisconsin this season, and I don't know if they "nearly beat Wisconsin".  Army never led, and was down by 2 TD's for the majority of the 2nd half.  That amazing Army offense racked up 266 total yards and 14 total points.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore/_/gameId/401282826

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think you mean Army, as they played Wisconsin this season, and I don't know if they "nearly beat Wisconsin".  Army never led, and was down by 2 TD's for the majority of the 2nd half.  That amazing Army offense racked up 266 total yards and 14 total points.

A few other issues with running that style of offense today is because high schools are no longer running it. So you don't have kids running that system in high school so you would be teaching kids new stuff they have never heard before. It would be harder to find kids that fit your system because you would be guessing they would be good at those roles. The same could be said for filling out a full coaching staff of guys with the right experience and expertise to teach the kids. That knowledge and expertise is going to die with the likes of the Osborne's of the world. But again many fans and national pundits claim the Huskers in the 90's were an option team but they were not. It was part of their arsenal but not all they did. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

18 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

But again many fans and national pundits claim the Huskers in the 90's were an option team but they were not. It was part of their arsenal but not all they did. 

Then let's run whatever you want to call it.  We can run a base option offense and call it something else because there's other plays in the playbook too.

We talk about a Big 10 style of play, and Wisconsin basically co-opting the vintage Nebraska offense, but one year Wisconsin let Joel Stave throw the ball 50 times in beating Nebraska, while another year they let one player rush for 400 yards in beating Nebraska. Last week a physically dominant Ohio State team chose to pass the ball 54 times to beat Nebraska. 

I think we also forget that Tom Osborne's offense wasn't simple. It was pretty complex. The fact that we ran the ball a lot doesn't mean there weren't a lot of variations on the theme, and they were very much execution driven. We may not have passed a lot, and our QBs weren't great passers, so the 15 - 20 pass plays each game had to work extra hard to ensure the receiver was wide open (chances are there were no "check downs" -- the plays was designed for one receiver only). Osborne also had a large portfolio of trick plays, and they had to be well-executed, too.

Maybe too much is made of simplifying the playbook and maximizing reps. Whatever offense Frost runs is going to require variety and execution. This is big boy football. 

• Plus1 3
21 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I watched that entire thing because I'm a degenerate who bet Army +14.  At no point in that game did Army have Wisconsin remotely in danger.  Was super fun to watch though!  It was like watching a baseball game from the 1960s with how quickly it went.

• Plus1 2