What sort of offensive scheme do you think Frost will/should adopt?

Toe

20 hours ago, ZRod said:

We counting zone reads and RPOs?

After giving it some thought I'd say don't count them.    At least for the purposes of my curiosity.   If it's not necessarily a running play, if there's no pitch man, and there's no option for the QB to keep then I wouldn't count it.

Zone reads are out, unless there's a pitch man off of it.

RPOs are out because it's not necessarily a run play and there's typically no pitch man.

And toss plays are out because although there's a pitch man, there's no option for the QB to keep.

Speed options are in.

When our new coordinator is announced, the first thing I'm going to do is look up where his current team ranks in red zone scoring percentage. We currently rank #111. :flush

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct

Just now, Brandon.Lincoln said:

OP and I came here to discuss football; you came here to be a hater.

OP here. Can confirm: that was pretty WTF.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
17 minutes ago, The Dude said:

After giving it some thought I'd say don't count them.    At least for the purposes of my curiosity.   If it's not necessarily a running play, if there's no pitch man, and there's no option for the QB to keep then I wouldn't count it.

RPOs are out because it's not necessarily a run play and there's typically no pitch man.

And toss plays are out because although there's a pitch man, there's no option for the QB to keep.

Speed options are in.

Seems extremely restrictive :lol:

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Speed options are in.

So….you want to figure out how often we run an option play by not counting some of the option plays. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1

T.O. mentioned studying the Florida teams, as to schemes and even the style of recruiting.  He seemed to make it okay to admit to learning from winners out there.  I admit to being curious if studying Alabama could help Nebraska, as to O line play (particularly in the red zone) and other areas where it appears that they're trained to just be 100% tough each and every play.. and business-like (for the most part).  Hard to train into players because it is cultural, but I sometimes think it'd help to do that and Alabama has things we used to have as to those qualities.  Looking at old film of us in the 70s, 80s, and 90s can only go so far because of the changes in football that we've failed at.. so I do wonder if it makes sense to look at a program that is like that and successful in the modern era.

• Plus1 1
On 11/9/2021 at 10:11 AM, knapplc said:

OSU completely ignored 2AM on one of those plays and tackled Rahmir for a minimal gain. If Martinez keeps it, he gets 20 or a house call (couldn't see the defense past about 20 yards).

He would have scored on both he didn't take to the right in the first half. 

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

So….you want to figure out how often we run an option play by not counting some of the option plays. 

No, by counting only option plays.  The type Osborne ran.

I understand the argument for trying to count zone reads and RPOs as "sort of" option plays, but that's not the type of plays we were talking about. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, The Dude said:

No, by counting only option plays.  The type Osborne ran.

I understand the argument for trying to count zone reads and RPOs as "sort of" option plays, but that's not the type of plays we were talking about. 

Really?  

A zone read option offense is just as much an option offense as what TO used to run. Just a different kind. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
17 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Really?  

A zone read option offense is just as much an option offense as what TO used to run. Just a different kind. 

I know, it's just beside the point.  Osborne ran a certain type of play 19% of the time in 1997, I was wonder what percentage of the time we run the same type of play in 2021.  Not a different type of play.