What sort of offensive scheme do you think Frost will/should adopt?

Toe

1 minute ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Yes- I think to be consistent year in and year out we are better off not relying on needing an elite QB. Rely on a new PIPELINE and solid backs. Sure you try to get an elite QB just like everyone else. But you don't NEED one to be good.

Can't recall what podcast it was on, I think it was Sam Mckewon, who made the comment that for 20 years nebraska has been too Qb centric.  Offense is all about the QB, instead of having an offensive system and pieces are the qb being the main focus of your recruiting strategy.  Obviously an elite playmaker at QB makes everything else easier and I'd argue is a prerequisite for playoff contention, but I would like to see a team where a banged up qb isnt an automatic L like the past 12 years has been.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

OSU completely ignored 2AM on one of those plays and tackled Rahmir for a minimal gain. If Martinez keeps it, he gets 20 or a house call (couldn't see the defense past about 20 yards).

Its maddening man.  There's been countless opportunities where the TV doesnt even show an opposing defender in the frame on one of the flats where 2am can run it and instead he hands it off to an inevitable brick wall.

I do expect a slight alteration in the game calling-- perhaps more traditional I formation/power schemes with another lead blocker in the fold here and there, but I'd be shocked to see wholesale changes.  I don't think its a philosophy challenge with this team- its situation football mixed with clean fundamental play that needs to improve.  I know it was a short time frame- but this offense looked completely different with Teddy P in there prior to his injury.  Fix the line with sound play that is error free 99% of the time and you can make most, if not all, systems work.

• Plus1 2

I’m no X’s and O’s guru, I just want to see proficiency at the basics and play calling. It seems Neb coaches have had a habit of wanting to be the smartest guys in the stadium. Establish and stick with the run, get under center on 3rd and 1. Get the snap right. Don’t false start. 

I think the cupboard is stocked well enough that a seasoned play caller could come in and do well in year 1. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Its maddening man.  There's been countless opportunities where the TV doesnt even show an opposing defender in the frame on one of the flats where 2am can run it and instead he hands it off to an inevitable brick wall.

I do expect a slight alteration in the game calling-- perhaps more traditional I formation/power schemes with another lead blocker in the fold here and there, but I'd be shocked to see wholesale changes.  I don't think its a philosophy challenge with this team- its situation football mixed with clean fundamental play that needs to improve.  I know it was a short time frame- but this offense looked completely different with Teddy P in there prior to his injury.  Fix the line with sound play that is error free 99% of the time and you can make most, if not all, systems work.

I think those were designed handoffs. They kept the zone read look, but instructed AMart to hand off since he was banged up.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Born N Bled Red said:

I think those were designed handoffs. They kept the zone read look, but instructed AMart to hand off since he was banged up.

I don't mind designed hand-offs, but the repeated "Hey Rahmir, line up to the left of AM, take the ball and run into the B-Gap for the 8th time this game" was enough to make me bang my head against a wall.....

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, Cdn Blackshirt Two said:

I don't mind designed hand-offs, but the repeated "Hey Rahmir, line up to the left of AM, take the ball and run into the B-Gap for the 8th time this game" was enough to make me bang my head against a wall.....

100%. My comment was more in regards to the idea that AMart was making the wrong reads. I saw the same thing, multiple times. The fact that it was so consistently wrong makes me think it was called that way. 

• Plus1 2
11 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Thats a shame if thats the case because, at least in my opinion, those formation itself is a poor way to setup your RB for success.  They're not even looks at first glance that give you the thought 2AM might throw it and then delayed handoff, rather, let me let my crap o line get beat and then im gonna hand it off, good luck

The other issue that repeatedly drove me nuts was the unwillingness (saying "stubborn" is an understatement), to adjust formations to provide Benhart with passing blocking support on obvious passing downs.  At this point in the season, it is foolhardy for a playcaller to assume he's got an 85% chance of holding his block.  Game experience has shown this to be more like 10%-15%. So acknowledging that weakness and adjusting for it was simple common sense.  I should add, that if even once they'd run a draw play into the B-Gap on Benhart's side, the OSU Defensive End was usually 5-yards out of position within moments of the snap and it would have burned them badly.  Again, something simple that a new OC needs to pick up and act upon.

Just in terms of the "Rahmir to the B-Gap", perhaps not a popular opinion, but since this propensity to repeatedly call the exact same (predictable) plays over-and-over again pre-dates the arrival of Matt Lubick, I have my suspicions this behaviour was initiated higher in the chain-of-command. Based on that, whomever is coming in as the new OC absolutely must be giving playcalling responsibilities with Frost retaining control only over things like "What to do on 4th down".  Not sure why, but from where he's standing, Frost is not getting a good feel for what's actually going on, on the field. 

39 minutes ago, knapplc said:

OSU completely ignored 2AM on one of those plays and tackled Rahmir for a minimal gain. If Martinez keeps it, he gets 20 or a house call (couldn't see the defense past about 20 yards).

It was awful.  2AM was not threat on the zone reads and it was clear OSU knew it.

Like I stated previously in another rant.  Why even run that play?

2 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Nothing wrong with our offensive scheme if we quit shooting ourselves in the foot.

I mean, Frost firing his offensive staff and saying they need 'new ideas' sure does make it sound like he thinks the offensive scheme has some problems...

15 minutes ago, Toe said:

I mean, Frost firing his offensive staff and saying they need 'new ideas' sure does make it sound like he thinks the offensive scheme has some problems...

I think that's tough to gauge. This is still Frost's offense for the most part. They've made some schematic adjustments but nothing wholesale, and I'd be incredibly surprised if he brings in a coordinator that runs anything other than something still based out of a spread concept.

My personal interpretation of the comments about "new ideas" had less to do with scheme and more to do with teaching, promoting execution and enabling better fundamentals. Frost can't be the one primarily digging deep into position groups and providing 1:1 instructions on how to execute the offense and play smarter. That's what his assistants are supposed to do. They seemed to have figured this out defensively, but what's making people pessimistic (including myself) is that Chin is getting most of the credit for the defense... not Frost.

So, will new O assistants bridge that gap? Or, have they fired scapegoats? I tend to lean in the direction that the assistants had to go and they were a big source of the problems, but I'm not at all excusing Frost. Offense was supposed to be his strength and it has been anything but.

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, Toe said:

Scott firing his offensive staff has a lot more to do with him saving his job than it does him thinking we need to change scheme.  We are not going to an old school power run scheme like some here suggest.  

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Hilltop said:

Nothing wrong with our offensive scheme if we quit shooting ourselves in the foot.  We have a V10 with a couple bad injectors- lets not put an old Iowa V6 with a carburetor in to "fix it".       

Agreed. It's a fun offense to watch when it's clicking, and it clearly works given Oregon's success. I was excited that we were recruiting bigger players than Oregon had, but the development has been sorely lacking (hence the coaches being let go).