Jump to content


What sort of offensive scheme do you think Frost will/should adopt?


Toe

Recommended Posts


8 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

60% of the time, it works every time.

I've always believed you should run a 4 yard play on first down.  Then you should go with a 4 yard play on second down.  It's makes at far easier on the offense if only need to get 2 yards for the first round.  Think about it.....You call a 2, 3 or 4 yard play and still get a first down.  The coaches that really know what they are doing will call a touchdown play every once in a while to keep the defense honest.

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
1 minute ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I've always believed you should run a 4 yard play on first down.  Then you should go with a 4 yard play on second down.  It's makes at far easier on the offence if only need to get 2 yards for the first round.  Think about it.....You call a 2, 3 or 4 yard play and still get a first down.  The coaches that really know what they are doing will call a touchdown play every once in a while to keep the defense honest.

double

Link to comment

If what’s being reported is true that Frost will give up calling offensive plays to be more of CEO that gives us a few important clues.

 

1.) He fired guys who learned and ran Spread Up-Tempo scheme. That may mean he is going to a more power run under center scheme giving the reigns to the OC, OL, RB coach. He won’t call plays.

 

2.) Remember who Frost has learned from in the NFL? Bill Parcells, Bill Belichick, Mike Tomlin, Jon Gruden, Monte Kiffin, etc

 

This tells me he’s going to be more involved with the defense which explains why no defensive assistants have been fired. So I expect an entirely different offensive scheme next year. Run blocking is not as difficult to teach as pass blocking so I expect a run first mentality OL coach, OC, RB coach. Becton showed the most improvement obviously with TE’s so he’ll be also coach WR’s which means I expect us to recruit more physical/fast receivers. Think Stanley Morgan, Quincy Enunwa, etc

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment

9 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I've always believed you should run a 4 yard play on first down.  Then you should go with a 4 yard play on second down.  It's makes at far easier on the offense if only need to get 2 yards for the first round.  Think about it.....You call a 2, 3 or 4 yard play and still get a first down.  The coaches that really know what they are doing will call a touchdown play every once in a while to keep the defense honest.

 

OMG! :ahhhhhhhh I think you are in to something here. You simply must get this strategy to Coach Frost. 

 

He's been under the belief you must call an 8 yard play on first down, a negative 5 yard play on second and then a 13 yard play on third. This new strategy... I mean, its genious!!!

  • Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
26 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I've always believed you should run a 4 yard play on first down.  Then you should go with a 4 yard play on second down.  It's makes at far easier on the offense if only need to get 2 yards for the first round.  Think about it.....You call a 2, 3 or 4 yard play and still get a first down.  The coaches that really know what they are doing will call a touchdown play every once in a while to keep the defense honest.

4+4+2 = 10

 

Math checks out.  I can't believe no one has thought of this.

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Hilltop said:

Nothing wrong with our offensive scheme if we quit shooting ourselves in the foot.  We have a V10 with a couple bad injectors- lets not put an old Iowa V6 with a carburetor in to "fix it".       

Yes...PLEASE no Iowa offense!!!!

 

There isn't much wrong with our scheme with a few little tweaks.  Get someone who can recruit to it, coach it like crazy, call plays and watch it fly.

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment

I disagree that spread offenses have trouble in the red zone. It's a blanket statement with no real supporting evidence.

 

Look back at Ohio State's power run spread under Urban Meyer. That offense had no trouble punching it in. Why? Because of their ridiculous offensive line and running back talent.

 

And that scheme was basically the same one that Tim Beck ran here.

 

The problem isn't scheme here for us. The problem is poor coaching, poor game prep, and an offensive line that can't push the other team back.

  • Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment

34 minutes ago, Undone said:

I disagree that spread offenses have trouble in the red zone. It's a blanket statement with no real supporting evidence.

 

Look back at Ohio State's power run spread under Urban Meyer. That offense had no trouble punching it in. Why? Because of their ridiculous offensive line and running back talent.

 

And that scheme was basically the same one that Tim Beck ran here.

 

The problem isn't scheme here for us. The problem is poor coaching, poor game prep, and an offensive line that can't push the other team back.

 

And at times, mind-numbing play calls and personnel choices.

Link to comment
44 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yes...PLEASE no Iowa offense!!!!

 

There isn't much wrong with our scheme with a few little tweaks.  Get someone who can recruit to it, coach it like crazy, call plays and watch it fly.

 

What Iowa's offense lacks isn't so much in its scheme, what it lacks is a good QB and really talented wide receivers.

 

They've squeaked by for many years being known as Tight End U and getting some good ones to throw to. But their QBs are mediocre pro style guys who aren't really all that dynamic as passers, and when you combine it with average wide receivers you get the product they put out.

 

But, it's an NFL style of offense. The scheme isn't their problem.

 

Anyway, agree that our scheme is pretty much good to go with just a few tweaks. Also need to have our QB not consistently overthrow guys that are open.

Link to comment
6 minutes ago, Undone said:

 

What Iowa's offense lacks isn't so much in its scheme, what it lacks is a good QB and really talented wide receivers.

 

They've squeaked by for many years being known as Tight End U and getting some good ones to throw to. But their QBs are mediocre pro style guys who aren't really all that dynamic as passers, and when you combine it with average wide receivers you get the product they put out.

 

But, it's an NFL style of offense. The scheme isn't their problem.

 

Anyway, agree that our scheme is pretty much good to go with just a few tweaks. Also need to have our QB not consistently overthrow guys that are open.

It’s an old style NFL offense…..not a modern style NFL offense. 
 

No thanks. 

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment

There's no Holy Grail.  It's still players, coaching, play calling, execution. & play making  Any massive shift in scheme would tell me Frost has lost confidence and is grasping at straws & I'd give him virtually zero chance of a 6th season.  

 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it his case "We're close"?  But, we also need to overhaul the entire offensive scheme?  Sorry, those are juxtaposed positions.   

  • Plus1 2
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.





×
  • Create New...