What sort of offensive scheme do you think Frost will/should adopt?

Toe

2 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

OMG! :ahhhhhhhh I think you are in to something here. You simply must get this strategy to Coach Frost. 

He's been under the belief you must call an 8 yard play on first down, a negative 5 yard play on second and then a 13 yard play on third. This new strategy... I mean, its genious!!!

x5S06iD.gif

45 minutes ago, r06ue1 said:

Triple option, never going to change my mind on this. Running the ball eats clock, keeping your defense fresh, wears out the opposing teams defense and opens up the deep ball. I have always hated spread offenses and pass first offenses. 

You couldn't be more right.

flexbone.PNG

• Thanks 1

The scheme we run is more suited to the Pac12 and Big 12. Small speed guys on O with speed pass rushers on D. Big 10 is more big trenches with good not great QB's delivering the ball to elite rushers and receiver's. This is why you see Big 10 teams able to stand toe to toe with the SEC. I tend to think that NU needs to go back to a ball control O with flash sprinkled in. I think that if we do get to the CFP one day it will take this recipe to advance. It's tried and true. But of course the option game needs to be a wrinkle we throw in there too.

1 hour ago, Cornbred said:

The scheme we run is more suited to the Pac12 and Big 12. Small speed guys on O with speed pass rushers on D. Big 10 is more big trenches with good not great QB's delivering the ball to elite rushers and receiver's. This is why you see Big 10 teams able to stand toe to toe with the SEC. I tend to think that NU needs to go back to a ball control O with flash sprinkled in. I think that if we do get to the CFP one day it will take this recipe to advance. It's tried and true. But of course the option game needs to be a wrinkle we throw in there too.

Who is small on our offense, and who is a speed rusher on D outside of Nelson? Rahmir is a smaller back, but every other back on the roster is above 200 lbs. Pretty typical RB size. Yany is a big boy!

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, r06ue1 said:

Triple option, never going to change my mind on this. Running the ball eats clock, keeping your defense fresh, wears out the opposing teams defense and opens up the deep ball. I have always hated spread offenses and pass first offenses. 

Who wants to eat clock??!  Maybe the average teams do in the big ten.  That's so boring.  2 yard gain (clap).  3 yards (clap)  OOPs we lost a yard on 3rd down and 5 running the ball (but chewing up clock!).  Time to punt now.

Throw the damn ball.  A lot.  Score a lot of points.  But that's just me.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
13 hours ago, Toe said:

Spread offenses have a classic Achilles heel: what happens when you're in the red zone and there's no room on the field to spread the defense out? I think the problem becomes more acute in the Big Ten than it does in the PAC or AAC, or even the Big 12. And obviously, it's been a huge problem for Frost's offense the last few years.

From what I gather, Frost's plan to address that this year was to switch to more of a power-based scheme in the red zone. But I think it was just too much of a stretch: not enough time to rep such a different philosophy along with the 'base' offense, and players who weren't suited to run both types of offenses.

So I would guess that the next logical step is to look for an offense with more of a power element to it, that can be run anywhere on the field. Exactly what form that will take will probably depend more on the coaches available than anything. It'll probably require a change in recruiting philosophy, although to some extent I think Frost has already been moving in that direction.

Once you get into the red zone go into an I formation and run the triple option

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, admo said:

Who wants to eat clock??!  Maybe the average teams do in the big ten.  That's so boring.  2 yard gain (clap).  3 yards (clap)  OOPs we lost a yard on 3rd down and 5 running the ball (but chewing up clock!).  Time to punt now.

Throw the damn ball.  A lot.  Score a lot of points.  But that's just me.

Tried that-epic fail.

• Plus1 2

8 hours ago, r06ue1 said:

You need a 60/40 or 55/45 split. If you look at the last 15 champions, they all had a 40/60 or 45/55 run to pass ratio. The only team that ran the ball more was one of the Alabama teams in the mid 2010s and they were 63 to 47 run to pass ratio I believe.

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, r06ue1 said:

I remember when people were trying to rationalize Callahan's offense the reasoning went something like"option football won't work in modern football, linebacker are too fast these days".

This is, of course, nonsense.  This same claim was often levied toward Osborne's offense before he went 60-3 in his last 5 years and won 3 National Championships. 

It's not like there were slow linebackers in the 90s and suddenly fast linebackers in the 2000s. 

A large component of option football is misdirection.  Which puts linebackers on their heels and neutralizes their speed in the first place.  Even if linebackers were faster that's just more reason to go back to option football. 

• Fire 3
1 hour ago, The Dude said:

I remember when people were trying to rationalize Callahan's offense the reasoning went something like"option football won't work in modern football, linebacker are too fast these days".

This is, of course, nonsense.  This same claim was often levied toward Osborne's offense before he went 60-3 in his last 5 years and won 3 National Championships. 

It's not like there were slow linebackers in the 90s and suddenly fast linebackers in the 2000s. 

A large component of option football is misdirection.  Which puts linebackers on their heels and neutralizes their speed in the first place.  Even if linebackers were faster that's just more reason to go back to option football. 

Good points. I think it was basically Nebraska and military schools running some form of option in the 90s. To be fair our system had evolved and the option was just a piece of what we did. Not all of it. And your right the majority thought it was outdated and couldn’t work. And then 60-3 happened. But Osborne was evolving the offense over time- like 97 we ran more stuff out of shotgun. The problem came when Osborne retired and the innovation Osborne brought to keep modifying the system stopped and solich took the play calling back to the 80s. Plus the talent was going down. So new play caller and less talent reduced our results and was enough evidence to move on to a new coach and new offense after on field results suffered. If Osborne kept coaching what would it have looked like 10 years later. Probably similar to Urbans Florida teams or the current coastal Carolina. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, The Dude said:

This is what has concerned me the most with Frost an our "scheme" or "play calling".  There has been little done to A) assist an under performing OL with an extra blocker  B) little to no play calls to try to negate the speed/aggression of the DL/LB's  C) No dedicated misdirection to get the D going one way and we come back the other.   

• Plus1 1