What sort of offensive scheme do you think Frost will/should adopt?

Toe

10 minutes ago, floridacorn said:

+1  In addition, spring ball, and fall camp account for a vast majority of real practice time a team has in a given season.  Yet, the depth chart at RB was consistently in flux and flipped on it's head in-season under Held.  There just has to be a better understanding of what you have and who you are preparing to roll with throughout fall camp & in-season.

That's all true.  And yet, if Wandale was here, I'm sure most if not all of the touches would have gone to him and the other guys wouldn't have been in some sort of dog house.  I checked the stats on Wandale.  He has 6 touches for runs.  Other than that, he has 71 receptions for 811 yards at around 11.5 yards per and 6 TD's.  

My point is ... even Wandale would have been used wrong.  From what I understand ... that is on Held and not Frost.

It looks like Wandale is going to fall just short of 100 receptions this season.  Stoops seems to understand how to use Wandale far better than Frost [as I see it].  I realize that Wandale wasn't quite good enough for a lot of folks here on the board [but I'd still keep him and find a use for him ... he's a nice piece at WR].

• Haha 1

How about an unspecified/unsystematic scheme featuring near 50% run and pass each. Similar to Chris Petersen's offense. I'd like a powerful downhill running game and a offensive line to back it up that's physical. Throw in some option with spread. Not as elaborate to coach yet effectively executed. 

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2016/11/3/13486704/how-does-the-washington-husky-offense-work-chris-peterson-browning-gaskin

https://www.uwdawgpound.com/2015/9/7/9268965/washington-huskies-offense-expained-2015

4 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I think the offense will be pretty similar ....

I agree. Frost needs to get things on track next year or it could possibly be his last so I can't imagine wholesale changes. With that in mind I see tweaks to what is already in place. Changing the O to an entirely new system would require more time than I believe HCSF has available. You can keep the terminology but still make a lot of meaningful changes. Just IMHO.

12 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Good points. I think it was basically Nebraska and military schools running some form of option in the 90s. To be fair our system had evolved and the option was just a piece of what we did. Not all of it. And your right the majority thought it was outdated and couldn’t work. And then 60-3 happened. But Osborne was evolving the offense over time- like 97 we ran more stuff out of shotgun. The problem came when Osborne retired and the innovation Osborne brought to keep modifying the system stopped and solich took the play calling back to the 80s. Plus the talent was going down. So new play caller and less talent reduced our results and was enough evidence to move on to a new coach and new offense after on field results suffered. If Osborne kept coaching what would it have looked like 10 years later. Probably similar to Urbans Florida teams or the current coastal Carolina. 

We would own this division with Solich's offense.

I got my hopes up for a minute today thinking maybe Trev is taking a note from the Alvarez playbook and telling coach what playbook he's running.

From the sounds of Scott's press conference it'll be another season of duck s#!t.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/9/2021 at 9:44 AM, Toe said:

Spread offenses have a classic Achilles heel: what happens when you're in the red zone and there's no room on the field to spread the defense out? I think the problem becomes more acute in the Big Ten than it does in the PAC or AAC, or even the Big 12. And obviously, it's been a huge problem for Frost's offense the last few years.

From what I gather, Frost's plan to address that this year was to switch to more of a power-based scheme in the red zone. But I think it was just too much of a stretch: not enough time to rep such a different philosophy along with the 'base' offense, and players who weren't suited to run both types of offenses.

So I would guess that the next logical step is to look for an offense with more of a power element to it, that can be run anywhere on the field. Exactly what form that will take will probably depend more on the coaches available than anything. It'll probably require a change in recruiting philosophy, although to some extent I think Frost has already been moving in that direction.

Good comments but moot- until he gets a great offensive line and receivers who can block- no scheme will be successful.  He needs a line that can be reliable road graders but quick enough to pass block.  
Personal preference- Frost needs to move to more of a north- south game using power running and passing with more use of ends and recrivers over the middle in 5-15 yard range.   No more of this passing into the flats for one or to yards.  

@URSS Agreed, I said in another thread that I'm really more interested in who the o-line coach will be than the OC.

7 hours ago, GSG said:

Not to mention times like Toure getting short arms at the end of the first half against Purdue, or any of the receivers NEVER SETTING DOWN in the openings in zone defenses and continuing to run INTO THE COVERAGE

*remembers one of Kade Warner's patented TD drops where he kept running when Martinez expected him to set down in the opening*

5 hours ago, BigRedN said:

My point is ... even Wandale would have been used wrong.  From what I understand ... that is on Held and not Frost.

It looks like Wandale is going to fall just short of 100 receptions this season.  Stoops seems to understand how to use Wandale far better than Frost [as I see it].  I realize that Wandale wasn't quite good enough for a lot of folks here on the board [but I'd still keep him and find a use for him ... he's a nice piece at WR].

Held apparently had a lot of issues identifying and developing the RB room but misusing Wandale was 100% on Frost imo. Using him so heavily in the run game, especially between the tackles, may have been a result of Held failing with RBs but it was Frost’s decision to waste him that way. It reeked of desperation trying to find something, anything, that might work.

I don’t think we’re going to miss any of the staff that was fired but I sure hope nobody is under the delusion that those guys were any more responsible than Frost himself.

As far as claiming Wandale wasn’t good enough for “a lot of folks here”, you would need to provide some supporting evidence for that. I don’t recall anybody ever saying that. The only problem with Wandale was that he was misused and that’s not because he wasn’t good enough unless you think he should’ve been able to run up the gut against B1G defenses.

• Plus1 1

16 hours ago, M.A. said:

How about an unspecified/unsystematic scheme featuring near 50% run and pass each. Similar to Chris Petersen's offense. I'd like a powerful downhill running game and a offensive line to back it up that's physical. Throw in some option with spread. Not as elaborate to coach yet effectively executed. 

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2016/11/3/13486704/how-does-the-washington-husky-offense-work-chris-peterson-browning-gaskin

https://www.uwdawgpound.com/2015/9/7/9268965/washington-huskies-offense-expained-2015

What if I told you we run the ball 57% of the time, average 4.7 yds per rushing attempt, and utilize a spread option scheme?

I don't think Frost needs to adjust his offensive philosophy much. I would just like to see us go back to the first few years where we were a little more multiple and had some I-formation in the playbook. An extra blocking back could have gotten us out of a few jams this year. As much as everyone dogged on Tim Beck, that was a fun playbook and decent scheme. It's also a spread/power scheme that works in the B1G. Id like to see us close to that again. Honestly that playbook with Frost's play calling ability and play setup would be money.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
35 minutes ago, ZRod said:

What if I told you we run the ball 57% of the time, average 4.7 yds per rushing attempt, and utilize a spread option scheme?

I don't think Frost needs to adjust his offensive philosophy much. I would just like to see us go back to the first few years where we were a little more multiple and had some I-formation in the playbook. An extra blocking back could have gotten us out of a few jams this year. As much as everyone dogged on Tim Beck, that was a fun playbook and decent scheme. It's also a spread/power scheme that works in the B1G. Id like to see us close to that again. Honestly that playbook with Frost's play calling ability and play setup would be money.

I don't think there needs to be a huge adjustment. He could incorporate many of the things he's been doing.  

List of possible OC targets from Corncrazed: 

I'm still in the triple option camp, look for a bit more passing than Army does (Brent Davis is in the list), sick and tired of seeing spread offenses and no way want to see West Coast or Air Raid. A 60 (run) and 40 (pass) would be fine with me. 

• Plus1 1

Also, for all of those that believe the triple option cannot work because there's too much team speed and other teams will just stack the box, consider that was also what many analysts were saying about Florida's defense before the 1995 National Championship game and how that turned out. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1