New Offensive Coordinator options?

This is probably an unpopular opinion but I have a feeling that it's going to be pretty hard to get an offensive coordinator in here to make a bigger dent in our deficiencies for next year's "get a winning season or you're all fired" criteria than Lubick could have made with just some small changes.

You saw in the Illinois game that we looked like we wanted to be a power rushing team - but we just didn't block well.

I think firing Lubick was more about optics than practicality. Now Austin, Verduzco, & Held? Yes, I'm glad the three of them are gone.

I think Greg Austin was holding this program back more than any other single person or factor.

• Plus1 1

Zach Kittley would be one I’d pursue. One of the nation’s highest-scoring offenses, has ties to TX, coached Mahomes.

I also like Ruggiero but he’s been at WF for 8 years and are finally breaking through. I doubt he’d want to make a jump right now. 

Garrett Riley is another but he might get passed over just because of his last name. 

53 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

I’m a Wake season ticket holder. Offense is fun as hell to watch. 

I have to say that really slow ride/RPO look is quite different, very interesting stuff. Not sure if it would translate against some of these B1G defenses, though.

• Haha 1
Just now, Xmas32 said:

Better than the goddamn flexbone.

How do we know that? I don't get everyone's hate on a legitimate, effective offense. We've been trying spread/RPO stuff for 4 years, and average something like 26 points per game against P5 competition. 

• Plus1 1

Whatever scheme Nebraska runs, they need to be somewhat adaptable.   Go with the strengths of the players they have, and not ideal players the coaches wish they had.  And vs. the particular defense they are playing against week to week.

Also, the team needs solid fundamentals or the rest won't make a difference in tough games vs disciplined opponents.   I believe that is why Scott is looking for new assistants, so that that fundamentals can be improved.   I hope going forward Scott spends more time worrying about the details of the entire team operation.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Oh nice, yeah it looks like the offense has been solid for a few years now.  Do you know who is calling the plays? 

Warren Ruggiero.  Has done a lot with a little.  Not easy to recruit guys to Wake.....Has done a great job with the talent he has.  Strong running and passing team.  Based off RPO, but does a tweak in the mesh point.  The s  l   o   w mesh....Pretty neat what he has done.

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, knapplc said:

I'm thinking at least 50 posts. Maybe 100.

Then new members can start new threads. 

Add a zero and then we're cookin' with gas. 

I mean, we just had a doozy of a thread started with someone that's got ~200 posts to their name. 

Let's add a zero and close the door on this derp, please?

1 hour ago, lo country said:

Warren Ruggiero.  Has done a lot with a little.  Not easy to recruit guys to Wake.....Has done a great job with the talent he has.  Strong running and passing team.  Based off RPO, but does a tweak in the mesh point.  The s  l   o   w mesh....Pretty neat what he has done.

I wonder what he makes there if we can draw him in with 1.5 mil. Also would need to know if he can mesh with Frost. 

• Plus1 1