New Offensive Coordinator options?

Must be able to run and pass somewhat balanced. More run on average. Be effective executing in the red zone. There are a lot of suggestions that aren't meeting those criteria. As with a Frost dismissal, we'd better have credible and competent upgrades. I think they've been doing their due diligence both Trev and Scott together for the OC and all the positions.  If there's going to be sweeping changes, there'd better be good ones! 

8 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I don't think anyone will say it out loud, but given Scott's coaching lineage I could see a splash hire where a veteran but slightly bored offensive expert steps in for a one or two year fix to help Frost and design a system, but not commit to the program. 

Most of these suggestions require hiring guys away from equal or better existing jobs. 

Bill O'Brien

27 minutes ago, Cy the Cyclone said:

Garret Riley...he has done a good job at SMU, has a good coaching pedigree and is tough enough to kick Frost's a$$ when he tries to take over the offense...which I have no doubt he will try to do

While I have not looked into the specifics of the SMU offense, I like this suggestion as SMU has had a top 15 offense both years Riley has been there. Additionally he would likely jump at the chance to upgrade to the P5 level and could be playing opposite his brother next September!

• Plus1 1

57 minutes ago, Cy the Cyclone said:

Garret Riley...he has done a good job at SMU, has a good coaching pedigree and is tough enough to kick Frost's a$$ when he tries to take over the offense...which I have no doubt he will try to do

Yes, true, and would be great.  But they all going down I-30 to TCU. 

12 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I’ve seen Grimes and Herman names dropped for the Washington HC job that just opened. Confirms my suspicion that they’ll have way better options on the table. 

Herman is a good OC, hung his hat and career on 1 QB for 4 years.  Across the board, the players didn't get along with him at all.  Hate isn't a strong word.  That's kind of an important thing.  So he has heavy baggage.  It's unfortunate.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, ActualCornHusker said:

Absolute #1 criteria for a new OC is an unwavering commitment to running the ball. This includes OL (and all positions) development, ability to create a hard nosed culture in the offensive room, and for the love of God, a return of the fullback at Nebraska.

Agree. Not sure that having a fullback is a necessity. But you'd better be able to run the ball. Being dependent on throwing the ball here isn't going to work. I want a top rate OL coach and unit that performs consistently. This has been problematic for some time now. Recruit better and improve development.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, HuskerNation1 said:

While I have not looked into the specifics of the SMU offense, I like this suggestion as SMU has had a top 15 offense both years Riley has been there. Additionally he would likely jump at the chance to upgrade to the P5 level and could be playing opposite his brother next September!

SMU is currently sitting at #94 red zone scoring percentage. That's the number I'd like to see us improve. Have they had kicker issues worse than we have or what? :unsure:

• Fire 1
9 hours ago, Toe said:

SMU is currently sitting at #94 red zone scoring percentage. That's the number I'd like to see us improve. Have they had kicker issues worse than we have or what? :unsure:

I actually see they are sitting somewhere in the 70s for red zone, but regardless they are scoring a lot of points in games (top 5 overall) and at the end of the day points are the most important stat for an offense.  I do not believe there is a single coordinator out there who may be a realistic get that is in the top 10 of every potential offensive category.  And I am not saying Riley is the only option but he seems pretty viable to me.

Are we going to learn something soon?!

My final top six in no order of preference:

* Grimes

* Roderick

* Ludwig

* Roggiero

* Korn

* Lashlee

* Kendal Briles 

The Utah coaches are nearly impossible to get. Similar with Grimes leaving Roggiero, Korn and Lashlee. Dan Mullen might be all right but I have some reservations there. Mickey Joseph's a solid position coach. I'm not interested in O'Brian, Peetz, Herman or Helfrich. Nor any coach that features passing as a majority in their scheme over rushing. 

Maybe I am a little different,  but I don't really have a preference as to what "scheme" we bring in with out new OC.. within reason.  I don't want an air raid or a wishbone,  but beyond that, I don't think that matters as much. 

To me, the most important trait a quality OC has is the ability to adapt your scheme to the players that you have.  That has been an issue, on and off, since Callahan.  That's one reason why I am not for a massive change in philosophy. 

My needs assessment rankings would be:

1.  Play caller

2.  Game flow adapter

3.  Skill recognition/development 

4.  Good communication 

5.  Innovative/Creative

6.  Ability to break tendencies 

7.  Be balanced...and understand balanced is a relative term.