New Offensive Coordinator options?

4 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Some people think that Helfrich is a sure deal.  This writer and others have speculated that Helfrich it the future OC as he is trusted by Frost, shares the same vision of what the O should look like and would be the person SF would be the most comfortable handing the play calling duties to.  

We shall see.  I'm not in that camp - doing the same old same old won't bring new results.  

https://www.si.com/college/nebraska/football/husker-dan-a-big-red-gamble

If Frost is a man that is true to his word, he is supposed to be looking for guys that will challenge his thinking and bring in new fresh ideas. Helfrich would NOT be the right guy to match with what Frost expressed.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, HuskerNation1 said:

If Frost is a man that is true to his word, he is supposed to be looking for guys that will challenge his thinking and bring in new fresh ideas. Helfrich would NOT be the right guy to match with what Frost expressed.  

Yep it would simply show that that was simply him blowing smoke up our rumps. Don't get me wrong I enjoy smoking plenty of butts but not in this way. 

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Yep.  But lately he also said again (<_< ) that we are so close to getting over the hump and no big changes were needed.  So, I'm thinking he thinks it isn't system but  execution.  Better coaches will bring better execution. 

4 hours ago, twofittyonred said:

Not sure how you bank on a guy who took the ducks from an 11 win season to a 4 win season in four years

2 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

He's not being hired as the head coach so not sure how that really matters.

6 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Why would you hire a racecar driver to coach a football team? 

WOW.....   :bang

9 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Yep.  But lately he also said again (<_< ) that we are so close to getting over the hump and no big changes were needed.  So, I'm thinking he thinks it isn't system but  execution.  Better coaches will bring better execution. 

If that's what he thinks, I don't disagree. It's the play calling, development, lack of confidence in the players' tasks, strange personnel rotations, etc that have been the issue. So I do think better coaches will help that big time.

• Plus1 1

10 minutes ago, Gorillahawk said:

Anyone else think that IF Helfrich is hired, it's because no "big named" OC's wanted to come to Nebraska. Not having much in the way of job security could definitely be a deterrent 

No if its Helfrich, it will be because that is who Frost is most comfortable with, understands his offense, and was Frost's #1 choice. I think its more likely that of someone else is hired its because Helfrich said no than the other way around.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, twofittyonred said:

WOW.....   :bang

Try talking instead of losing your mind to hyperbole.

I get what you mean, not sure you get what I mean. Do you think the Cowboys, Jets, Washington Football Team, and Browns are all stupid for hiring Callahan as offensive line coach? After all, he took a 9 win season to a 5 win season in 4 years.

• Plus1 1

Firing Lubick in the first place insinuates that the systemic issues we had on offense this season were his fault.

I think what has really happened here is that Frost just hasn't realized that Adrian Martinez is not McKenzie Milton in the passing department. He's not completely capable of running the full 2017 UCF system.  I think that's what it mostly boils down to.

They should have modified the playbook in small ways in order to do some of the more high percentage plays we saw in 2019.

A lot of people here are acting like it's realistic that we're going to go back to some kind of super basic, run-heavy offense. I think that would be a big mistake. I think it would make more sense to just:

1. Try to just get a different QB out of the transfer portal.

2. Just make some small tweaks to take out some of the more "stand in the pocket and throw deep" plays if Martinez is going to be the QB that plays next year.

As I'm sure has been discussed in this thread (I haven't read through it all), the QB we trot out for next year is a huge part of all of this.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1