New Offensive Coordinator options?

3 hours ago, ZRod said:

Helfrich would make me nervous, but as Chip Kelly's OC they went to 2 Rose Bowls, a BCS National Championship game, Alamo Bowl and a Fiesta Bowl. Their first year they were 10-3 and after that they never lost more than 2 games. So it's not like he can't get s#!t done as a coordinator.

Helfrich may have been the OC for Kelly during those years but Chip still called the plays. When he became head coach he appointed Scott as OC and let Scott call the plays. Would he now call the plays if he became OC here or do a 50/50 split with Scott? 

• Plus1 2
8 hours ago, Cobra Kai said:

Maybe I am a little different,  but I don't really have a preference as to what "scheme" we bring in with out new OC.. within reason.  I don't want an air raid or a wishbone,  but beyond that, I don't think that matters as much.

I would also say no to an NFL guy, or a guy who wants to run an NFL-style scheme.

1 hour ago, Lorewarn said:

Try talking instead of losing your mind to hyperbole.

I get what you mean, not sure you get what I mean. Do you think the Cowboys, Jets, Washington Football Team, and Browns are all stupid for hiring Callahan as offensive line coach? After all, he took a 9 win season to a 5 win season in 4 years.

ummm... Compare apples to zebras much?  Huge difference between HC and O-line coach, not so much OC and HC.. and YES I do and the 1 1/2 to 2 yrs stints I think prove my point..

10 minutes ago, twofittyonred said:

ummm... Compare apples to zebras much?  Huge difference between HC and O-line coach, not so much OC and HC.. and YES I do and the 1 1/2 to 2 yrs stints I think prove my point..

Ahh yes.

Head coach = something super duper close to and almost exactly the same thing as an apple

Offensive coordinator = apple

Offensive line coach = zebra

• Plus1 1

What about Sonny Cumbie? I haven't seen much about him except for a mention in one article. Currently serving as interim head coach of Texas Tech, been an OC/QB coach there and @ TCU. Should be able to help recruit Texas.

I'd like someone with HC experience but unsure if we can pull who we'd want. I'd also like to see the addition of a special teams coordinator/ associate head coach to help with some game management decisions like calling a timeout late in the game. :facepalm:

• Plus1 2
9 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Some people think that Helfrich is a sure deal.  This writer and others have speculated that Helfrich it the future OC as he is trusted by Frost, shares the same vision of what the O should look like and would be the person SF would be the most comfortable handing the play calling duties to.  

We shall see.  I'm not in that camp - doing the same old same old won't bring new results.  

https://www.si.com/college/nebraska/football/husker-dan-a-big-red-gamble

It seems that if Helfrich were the replacement we'd learn something fairly quickly. He would be a bad call IMO. Same things, like you say, aren't going to work. 

5 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Chip Kelly was the real OC by the way. Helfrich did not call plays.

1 hour ago, TonyStalloni said:

Helfrich may have been the OC for Kelly during those years but Chip still called the plays. When he became head coach he appointed Scott as OC and let Scott call the plays. Would he now call the plays if he became OC here or do a 50/50 split with Scott? 

I know that Kelly calls the plays, but an OC does a lot more than just play calling.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, GretnaHusker14 said:

Wouldn't mind giving Glantz a shot but Rattler is a detriment to the chemistry of any program who brings him in.

I was on the bandwagon of hating Rattler especially after the Nebraska game in his press conference when he said he only missed one throw.  He missed more than one.  I'm sure he has a bit of an attitude but his teammates in a recent article said he has handled it well and helps the kid who took his spot. He looks disinterested on the sideline during games but Maybe he is the Jay Cutler of college football and that's jus the way he looks.  I'ld bring him in.  If he isn't what you thought you aren't bound to play him.  good for copetition.