New Offensive Coordinator options?

1 hour ago, ZRod said:

That's not even true though.

In 20 years we've had Frank's I formation power running/option attack, Callahan's West Coast Offense, Beck's Multiple Spread Offense (which also feature frequent use of I formation and pro sets), Riley's/Langsdorfs Spread and Pro Style Offense, and now Scott's Spread Option Offense.

Seems like a pretty good mix of what's been done in college football.

:dunno

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

Seems more likely it's that for the last 20 years we haven't had a hall of fame coach like Osborne or Devaney than that a top 5 rushing offense will get us back to the top of the country. I'd be more than happy to get back in the hall-of-fame-coach lane, not so much the top 5 rushing offense lane.

They both got there on the on the back of Tom's offense.  Along with the Blackshirt tradition, of course.  They're not coming back, but their blueprints can be dusted off.  It's frustrating because if anyone should understand this it's Frost.

7 hours ago, RedDenver said:

I get that people want to do what worked in our heyday, but the top teams in the country are not usually top 5 in rushing.

Agreed.

Maybe Oklahoma and Texas should scrap their offenses, and go back to the Wishbone and The Veer.  I'm sure that's what their fans want ;)

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, The Dude said:

They both got there on the on the back of Tom's offense.  Along with the Blackshirt tradition, of course.  They're not coming back, but their blueprints can be dusted off.  It's frustrating because if anyone should understand this it's Frost.

Good point about TO being the OC for both, but I don't think TO's offense is so easily replicated by anyone else.

• Fire 1
24 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Good point about TO being the OC for both, but I don't think TO's offense is so easily replicated by anyone else.

Isn't there meaning in Scott Frost finding his way and having his own identity just as Tom Osborne did? Or any coach for that matter...I don't think coach Osborne wants Scott replicating him or his system but to be his own person. There's value in that. How's he supposed to do that anyway?

Aspects can be taken from it sure including the interpersonal things like character, accountability and the importance or relationships. That was a special time with it's own special moments and challenges featuring it's own ingenuity. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Running the damn ball.

Sadly, if we had 2 more linemen that were slightly above average to replace Benhart and Corcoran, we are probably all singing praises for this offense. Redzone is where line issues become glaring weaknesses. That is the fault in this year's offense.

Scheme gets you between the 20s the line gets you to glory. 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, admo said:

Agreed.

Maybe Oklahoma and Texas should scrap their offenses, and go back to the Wishbone and The Veer.  I'm sure that's what their fans want ;)

What offense any program runs should not be what the fans want. It should solely be what works and brings wins. Not saying those systems do that. But if they won a Natty in 5 years running the wishbone pretty sure Oklahoma fans won’t mind 

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

What offense any program runs should not be what the fans want. It should solely be what works and brings wins. Not saying those systems do that. But if they won a Natty in 5 years running the wishbone pretty sure Oklahoma fans won’t mind 

original.gif

• Haha 1

Another great article by Jeremy Pernell.

Pernell: A Shortlist for Frost in His OC Search

A few things can be speculated about as to why Frost has struggled. At Central Florida, he went from 0-12 to 13-0 in two seasons - the first time that had been accomplished in the history of college football. He probably showed up to Lincoln a little overconfident and set in his ways. Frost was still quite green as a head coach in 2018. The Husker job was probably still a bit too big for him. We can point to a few different factors that have contributed, but there is one major blunder Frost made when he was hired that made this job a lot more difficult.

Bringing his entire staff with him from UCF was honorable and showed loyalty, but it was also naïve and short-sighted on his part. It proved to be detrimental. There's a reason why it was referenced so many times when he did it. That's because it's just not done. There are coaches who jump from one prominent Power Five school to another and don't take everyone with them. So you can understand why I was initially critical of Frost bringing an entire Group of Five staff with him to the Big Ten, one of the pillar conferences in college football.

• Thanks 1
44 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

That was a long winded article to get to something we didn’t already know. Many of the same names we have kicked around. Kendal Briles I haven’t heard much about. Somebody sell me or not on if he’d be good at Nebraska. Can he run the ball?  

He can probably run the ball better than he can report rape allegations.

• Plus1 3
6 hours ago, chamrocck said:

That was a long winded article to get to something we didn’t already know. Many of the same names we have kicked around. Kendal Briles I haven’t heard much about. Somebody sell me or not on if he’d be good at Nebraska. Can he run the ball?  

He runs a veer and shoot offense around 60% run, 40% pass with a rushing average of 230+ yards per game. 

• Plus1 1