New Offensive Coordinator options?

This post probably doesn't add much value, but Frost & Alberts would do well to bring in an offensive coordinator that has an actual track record putting together offenses that are successful with moving the chains with their running backs, not necessarily one that has a track record of moving the chains by running their QB.

I felt like the biggest and first question that had to be answered was whether Martinez was coming back. We have that answer.

What I'm now looking at is whether we have any RBs that transfer out. I'm really hoping that we don't.

Bring in an offensive coordinator that can actually do the title of "Run Game Coordinator" justice, not whatever tf Greg Austin was putting together...

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, RichardHangslow said:

I'm going to guess it's going to be Willie korn. And I think he is going to bring Grayson McCall with him. 

Mcall would be great and we should take any chance we can to upgrade anywhere we can but honestly if we are running the CCU offense I feel like Smothers could run that. I think it would be more important to evaluate the RB room and bring in a stud there if possible. 

Just now, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Mcall would be great and we should take any chance we can to upgrade anywhere we can but honestly if we are running the CCU offense I feel like Smothers could run that. I think it would be more important to evaluate the RB room and bring in a stud there if possible. 

Only way you are getting a shot at McCall is if you are getting rid of Frost and bringing Chadwell. 

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

I'm a lifelong fan, born and raised in Lincoln and I have all the fondness in the world for the triple option...but I would still just be blown away that it would actually be Frost & Alberts' first choice plan to:

1. Put it in stone for Smothers being the starting QB right now in December.

2. Bringing in Willy Korn to run more option than we already did this season.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, BoNeyard said:

Has anyone checked with David Stallings? He's the branch manager at Bank of America in Atlanta, Georgia. Could be great to get a Georgia recruiting pipeline going.

Has anyone checked with Joe Mogila? He's the former chairman of the board for TD Ameritrade in Omaha and executive advisor to Bo Pelini, and currently Executive Director for Football at Coastal Carolina. Could be great to get a Willy Korn pipeline going. :snacks:

2 minutes ago, Undone said:

I'm a lifelong fan, born and raised in Lincoln and I have all the fondness in the world for the triple option...but I would still just be blown away that it would actually be Frost & Alberts' first choice plan to:

Yeah thats a good point that even if he comes in he can modify that offense to not have so much option. Honestly I have no idea what their plan at all is right now. They are being about as hush hush as I have ever seen a team during something like this. They are either really floundering or have something big locked up. I would think/hope if they were floundering we would hear reports of coaches that were offered and turned us down(outside of MJ), but nothing at all. Do we even have a report of a single OC they have actually met with?

4 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Yeah thats a good point that even if he comes in he can modify that offense to not have so much option. Honestly I have no idea what their plan at all is right now. They are being about as hush hush as I have ever seen a team during something like this. They are either really floundering or have something big locked up. I would think/hope if they were floundering we would hear reports of coaches that were offered and turned us down(outside of MJ), but nothing at all. Do we even have a report of a single OC they have actually met with?

Yep we legit have no clue about anything other than maybe Mickey and we are his backup plan lol. woohoo. 

39 minutes ago, Undone said:

Was watching an interview Korn did on PFF, and what CC runs is a 2 back triple option offense, but there's a lot of RPO concepts as well which I think Smothers could excel at if he is the guy.

48 minutes ago, Undone said:

Why would you do that to de-motivate Haarberg and effectively kill your chances of bringing in a top portal option?

Such a move would also be perpetuating Frost's unconditional over-commitment to AM2 which is the exact opposite thing you should want to reset the team culture.  "Playing favourites" (kids who get different rules) is absolutely toxic.

1 minute ago, Cdn Blackshirt Two said:

Why would you do that to de-motivate Haarberg and effectively kill your chances of bringing in a top portal option?

Such a move would also be perpetuating Frost's unconditional over-commitment to AM2 which is the exact opposite thing you should want to reset the team culture.  "Playing favourites" (kids who get different rules) is absolutely toxic.

You know, we always release the post fall depth chart

QB1-Smothers

QB2-Haarberg

When it's released coach can talk about how every spot still needs to be earned, and a lot can change with the new guys coming in.

58 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

I would think/hope if they were floundering we would hear reports of coaches that were offered and turned us down(outside of MJ), but nothing at all. Do we even have a report of a single OC they have actually met with?

I saw a rumor report for OC candidates at the start of this week that was interesting, but generates some mixed feelings. Good dozen names mentioned, with varying levels of contact. Mix of P5 and G5, but most of the more serious discussions being on the P5 side. But the guy who seemed to be at the top of the mutual interest list at the time would definitely rustle some Jimmies...