New Offensive Coordinator options?

2 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

What about Robert Anae. I mentioned him earlier due to all the local media following him on Twitter out of no where. Virginia staff now free game. OL background and Virginia offense was insanely efficient this season. 

There was speculation on twitter about Anae too. He would also fit the mold of current P5 coordinator that is older with years of experience.  But if it was him I am not sure why there would be a wait as Virginia is not playing this weekend.  Anae appears to have a very pass-heavy offense at Virginia and I would guess Frost would want an OC with more of a focus on the run, but maybe not.  

24 minutes ago, admo said:

Depends.  Do we play Texas State, Louisiana-Monroe and Arkansas State every week?  Like Coastal did.. If so, then yes, we should be ok.

I was reading a lot about some offenses that added some different option looks  in the recent past.  After Coastal's success in 2020, Bama took some of there orbit/orbit return motion elements for their offense. Frost and Co allegedly met with Coastal to look at their offense and used some of it against Iowa.  The part where we ran and were up 21-6.  Against a very solid Iowa defense.  So yes, a lot of their O would work.  They do generally run more of a base 21 personnel with 2 RB's, 2 WR and 1 TE. Watching Chadwell at Charleston Southern and then at Coastal as OC and now coach, his O is (IMO) looks like what I imagine TO would have morphed into.   I like this quote from Korn.  Reminds me a lot of TO.  Great at a "few" things instead of good at a lot.  CC knows their bread and butter plays and execute them to perfection.  NU hasn't had that in years.

It’s a 21 personnel (two running backs, one tight end, two receivers), spread-option offense,” Coastal Carolina co-offensive coordinator Willy Korn explained. “We’re going to get into a bunch of different formations and have a bunch of different motions and shifts and different presentations but run a lot of the same core concepts over and over and just try to window dress them the best we can. At the end of the day, it’s option football, option concepts but not in the traditional sense.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
12 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

There was speculation on twitter about Anae too. He would also fit the mold of current P5 coordinator that is older with years of experience.  But if it was him I am not sure why there would be a wait as Virginia is not playing this weekend.  Anae appears to have a very pass-heavy offense at Virginia and I would guess Frost would want an OC with more of a focus on the run, but maybe not.  

Bronco just stepped down 5 hours ago. Maybe he wanted to stay put but it’s no longer an option? 

55 minutes ago, lo country said:

Just saw that.  Article said stepping away....Anae seems like more like a meh hire.  More of a, we were "this close to getting our guy, but Anae was on our list"

I agree - Anae doesn't impress me much. I'd prefer a younger, fresher, more innovative mind, someone kids would want to play for. Still wish they'd give Zach Kittley a look.

• Plus1 1

8 hours ago, Decked said:

Ron brown only produced Roy Helu, Rex, & Abdullah as his last three backs. Maybe T. Newby (but I can’t remember) before he left. 

Ron Brown had nothing to do with Roy Helu Jr., as he was the tight ends coach until 2011 after he graduated.

Newby was one of his players but...uh, never did a single impressive thing in his time here as far as I can remember.

Not disagreeing with whatever your larger point is, btw.

6 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

What about Robert Anae. I mentioned him earlier due to all the local media following him on Twitter out of no where. Virginia staff now free game. OL background and Virginia offense was insanely efficient this season. 

That would definitely be the "our first 7 options didn't work out" hire.

Which is looking more likely the longer this drags out.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

My son is 7 and he comes up with innovative plays on the daily in our backyard 

No matter how many times you float this idea, it’s not gonna happen. I’m sure he’s good and all but the kid is only 7. Husker’s minimum age requirement for OC is obviously going to be 10.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1