New Offensive Coordinator options?

3 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

No matter how many times you float this idea, it’s not gonna happen. I’m sure he’s good and all but the kid is only 7. Husker’s minimum age requirement for OC is obviously going to be 10.

And he didn't go to Nebraska, which kind of pushes his resume to the bottom of the pile. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, The Dude said:

That would definitely be the "our first 7 options didn't work out" hire.

Which is looking more likely the longer this drags out.

I've felt from the beginning that it's most likely the guy that gets brought in really isn't any better of a coach than Matt Lubick.

Retaining players and fixing the offensive line & special teams is really what was needed to turn this team around.

I really want to be wrong about the guy that comes in as OC, though.

• Plus1 1

The feeling I can’t shake is this. The rationale for not having an OC announced yet is that he must still be involved in a meaningful game this weekend. So I’m left wondering why, other than possibly a boatload of money, would any coach from a winning program want to relocate to this dumpster fire. No, my hopes aren’t high. Yes, I’m expecting another “Mike Riley who” moment.

This whole deal should’ve got headed in a new, hopeful direction about a week ago but instead we’re going to have another year, again, of s#!t. I really think Trev screwed up his first and best chance.

• Plus1 4

There are a number of reasons why an OC from a currently successful program may want to go to a program that is down at the moment.

One is more money.

Another is that with the soaring salaries of head coaches it may be worth the gamble for some to take the chance that they build a down program into a winner and in doing so raise their stock as a head coaching candidate.  

It's one thing to maintain an already successful offense.  It's another to build one up from the ashes and put your stamp in that success.  

8 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

There are a number of reasons why an OC from a currently successful program may want to go to a program that is down at the moment.

One is more money.

Another is that with the soaring salaries of head coaches it may be worth the gamble for some to take the chance that they build a down program into a winner and in doing so raise their stock as a head coaching candidate.  

It's one thing to maintain an already successful offense.  It's another to build one up from the ashes and put your stamp in that success.  

Agreed on the money, but no on everything else.  Objectively, this is a sinking ship that no one with ambitions would be excited to join.  I could be wrong, but outside of special circumstances (untenable personality conflict with the head coach, and need to find a new opportunity fast), we are not going to be getting the 'pick of the litter' as a feller once said.

Hope I'm wrong.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Agreed on the money, but no on everything else.  Objectively, this is a sinking ship that no one with ambitions would be excited to join.  I could be wrong, but outside of special circumstances (untenable personality conflict with the head coach, and need to find a new opportunity fast), we are not going to be getting the 'pick of the litter' as a feller once said.

Hope I'm wrong.

Yeah, I was thinking similar.  Everyone will listen to money.  Then look at expectations, stability and success.  Not sure a lot of people would leave land for money that's in the Bay Ocean with sharks everywhere.  You could possibly be gone in one year with that captain of the ship.

Ok that's probably a stupid analogy, lol but hey it's friday!

• Plus1 1

57 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

The feeling I can’t shake is this. The rationale for not having an OC announced yet is that he must still be involved in a meaningful game this weekend. So I’m left wondering why, other than possibly a boatload of money, would any coach from a winning program want to relocate to this dumpster fire. No, my hopes aren’t high. Yes, I’m expecting another “Mike Riley who” moment.

This whole deal should’ve got headed in a new, hopeful direction about a week ago but instead we’re going to have another year, again, of s#!t. I really think Trev screwed up his first and best chance.

The Army-Navy game isn't until the 11th.  Patience...

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

The opposite potential benefit is that if Trev fired Frost weeks ago, we would now be competing with 20 or so other programs for a new head coach; and not looking so competitive in that pool.  IF the Trev/Frost 1 year experiment flames out, the odds are more favorable that the number of comparable P5 openings next year "might" be less hostile then.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Comish said:

The opposite potential benefit is that if Trev fired Frost weeks ago, we would now be competing with 20 or so other programs for a new head coach; and not looking so competitive in that pool.  IF the Trev/Frost 1 year experiment flames out, the odds are more favorable that the number of comparable P5 openings next year "might" be less hostile then.

I agree as far as next year possibly being a better time to find a coach(s). Maybe it will be, maybe it won’t be. But the thing that is becoming more obvious is that the program is going to flounder for another year, the year that is delivering our easiest B1G schedule in a long time, maybe the easiest since we’ve joined the B1G. My doubt comes into play when 6 or 7 wins with that schedule will be looked at as improvement. But what is more disturbing is the possibility we did nothing AND we don’t even get those 6 or 7 wins. Just seems like squandered time and another miserable year to be a fan. It will take 8+ wins and I just don’t see it shaping up that way. We are losing key players left and right, the staff is a lame duck in flux, recruiting prognosis is terrible….. I know I’m depressing but gd, how much can a fan take?

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, The Dude said:

That would definitely be the "our first 7 options didn't work out" hire.

Which is looking more likely the longer this drags out.

How would the OC of a successful P5 offense definitely be a "our first 7 options didn't work out" hire?  Not saying he's my top choice but he'd certainly be a legit hire. 

• Plus1 1