New Offensive Coordinator options?

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

Good news...the west is horrible

Bad news...NU is losing a lot of players

Good news...the west is really horrible.

Bad news...We were 1-5 against those really horrible teams this year. And that was with best talent we've had since Frost has been here. Looks to be a big drop off in several positions next year.

3 minutes ago, theknife said:

Wild speculation: We are waiting to hear from someone from last night's games based on all the beat writers tweets. If that falls through, we are going with Willy Korn(He recently started following Beckton on Twitter as someone else mentioned). 

I'd say both Korn and Roggerio were interviewed and awaited a selection. 

1 hour ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

Who would call plays during the game? We can't go back and forth between 2 coaches and expect success.  Frost needs to concentrate on the little things during the game and not playcalling.

Davis would be my guess.

Davis: running game coordinator / offensive coordinator 

Joseph: passing game coordinator / associate head coach

I don't know if it's likely to happen.  If it is one of the guys who coached yesterday there should be tons of smoke sometime today and an announcement tomorrow. 

There was tons of smoke on Joseph before he was official.

If tomorrow comes and goes with no announcement then I suspect the Army-Navy game will get a ton of viewers from Nebraska. 

3 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Not just that but you can't wait until AFTER the game next weekend. We need the transfer portal to rock and roll we need to sell the offensive vision etc. We need OL and QB help and don't have a coach for either yet nor our play caller. Like come on now we gotta move damnit 

If they do wait until next weekend, that tells me they've given up mostly on this recruiting class. It will be 5 or 6 days until the early signing period then.  That means we're putting all eggs into the transfer portal basket and we've yet to even offer one P5 transfer.  Sure there might be some gems in the lower ranks like Toure, but do we really think we can find 10 of them that are Big Ten ready?

I also question how coming up with a new combined offensive scheme and teaching it in one offseason is going to go, when it's new to everyone. That's something you do when you have a couple years guaranteed to sort it all out.

• Plus1 1

Hey guys, well now that the conference championship games are over hopefully we can get new of the new OC.   

It would be funny if Brian Ferentz were the hire - and you know how a key player such as a QB may transfer over with the coach - in Iowas case that key weapon to transfer over ends up being a punter.  ;)

The debate has been run-first or pass-first, but we are going for punt-first!

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

A passing game coordinator implies a running game coordinator.

We had a running game coordinator last year but no passing game coordinator. :dunno

1 hour ago, C-4 said:

Why stop there? We could go as high as sextant option. QB and all 5 skill players. The QB could have the option to run it himself or to give it to any of the skill players. Some of the skill players could even start running beyond the LOS, and the QB could give the ball to them via a … forward option?

I'm still a big fan of NOTHING BUT WHEEL ROUTES!

wheel5_JPG.jpg

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

Bad news...We were 1-5 against those really horrible teams this year. And that was with best talent we've had since Frost has been here. Looks to be a big drop off in several positions next year.

The only silver lining I can think of is that the division is weak...sadly so is NU

14 minutes ago, runningblind said:

If they do wait until next weekend, that tells me they've given up mostly on this recruiting class. It will be 5 or 6 days until the early signing period then.  That means we're putting all eggs into the transfer portal basket and we've yet to even offer one P5 transfer.  Sure there might be some gems in the lower ranks like Toure, but do we really think we can find 10 of them that are Big Ten ready?

I also question how coming up with a new combined offensive scheme and teaching it in one offseason is going to go, when it's new to everyone. That's something you do when you have a couple years guaranteed to sort it all out.

I disagree. That would be the negative way to look at it though, which would go along with about every other thread on the board. It has been very very well chronicled that this class is extremely small. It also has been widely known that we will not take very many in the early signing period. With very limited slots, they already have A few guys in place. They are going to hit the portal more than ever and you may want an office of coordinator to have some type of say in the athlete you were going to recruit. A lot of guys will still hit the portal after the ball season. This class is going to not rank high , Because of pier numbers. All of the world is coming down peopleWill choose to spend it in a negative fashion but that is typical

45 minutes ago, ZRod said:

You joke, but I've often sat and wondered how long it will take for someone to implement a rugby type offense. Just guys sprinting all over the place and laterals everywhere, and maybe one big forward pass.

Or that the pick is in the playoffs...

We need to announce asap. No one on offense in the portal will come if they do not know the staff.  We cant recruit kids in HS is they have no idea who the staff is.  We are not Bama who changes a DC and still continues to win.  No winning season in four years means we need to sell a vision and new brand, because the old one just don't hunt.

• Plus1 2
20 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I personally think Frost has 2 more years pretty much guaranteed.   That is unless we somehow fail to improve on 3-9 with a much easier schedule.

Breaking in a new QB with a favorable schedule, you won't find a better year to install a new system.