New Offensive Coordinator options?

1 hour ago, theknife said:

Wild speculation: We are waiting to hear from someone from last night's games based on all the beat writers tweets. If that falls through, we are going with Willy Korn(He recently started following Beckton on Twitter as someone else mentioned). 

If we are waiting on last night, IMO, it would have broken this morning.  Like the firing of Solich.  Been almost a month since we let the staff go.  Of all the names, Korn is the only one at a school where the P5 NU would be a "step" up.  He has coached QB's, receivers and ST's in his career.  Currently OC/QB coach.  Has been coaching in this system for about 5 years.  Balanced passing and running attack.   The offense is "new" and the flavor of the week would help recruiting. The media would eat it up that NU was going back to being option U.  Good publicity.  

Throw in he was with Joe Moglia at CC.  Joe was with Bo Pelini prior.  Definitive NU tie.  Allegedly Frost and CO went there to look at the O.

• Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, HANC said:

I disagree. That would be the negative way to look at it though, which would go along with about every other thread on the board. It has been very very well chronicled that this class is extremely small. It also has been widely known that we will not take very many in the early signing period. With very limited slots, they already have A few guys in place. They are going to hit the portal more than ever and you may want an office of coordinator to have some type of say in the athlete you were going to recruit. A lot of guys will still hit the portal after the ball season. This class is going to not rank high , Because of pier numbers. All of the world is coming down peopleWill choose to spend it in a negative fashion but that is typical

Show me where it's widely known we didn't want many in the early signing period if you would. Just because a class is small doesn't mean you can't have quality and there isn't much of that. You might call me negative, I think it's closer to realistic but you don't want to admit that, and I would tell you that you're being unrealistically optimistic.  But have at it.

18 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I personally think Frost has 2 more years pretty much guaranteed.   That is unless we somehow fail to improve on 3-9 with a much easier schedule.

Breaking in a new QB with a favorable schedule, you won't find a better year to install a new system.

So he gets another year in 2023 at 4-8 in 2022? I'd love to see the season ticket renewal statistics in that scenario.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Show me where it's widely known we didn't want many in the early signing period if you would. Just because a class is small doesn't mean you can't have quality and there isn't much of that. You might call me negative, I think it's closer to realistic but you don't want to admit that, and I would tell you that you're being unrealistically optimistic.  But have at it.

So he gets another year in 2023 at 4-8 in 2022? I'd love to see the season ticket renewal statistics in that scenario.

People will continue to buy tickets.  

11 minutes ago, runningblind said:

It would be consistent with what we've seen the last 4 years.  I know it's preposterous, but it is the reality we're currently operating under.  Like it or not.

If we start 4-1 or even 5-1, which is likely, there's pretty much a 0% chance Frost is let go next year.  Regardless of how the rest of the season plays out.

4 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Honestly? yes.  I am with you at 4-8/5-7.  I don't see us having the depth to over come the losses in personnel, new scheme, QB etc....With the "built in" excuses that every pundit will mention, he will be back in 2023.  I disagree, but I think this will happen.  Then again, Willy Korn rolls in he might get this machine rolling.:D

8 minutes ago, lo country said:

If we are waiting on last night, IMO, it would have broken this morning.  Like the firing of Solich.  Been almost a month since we let the staff go.  Of all the names, Korn is the only one at a school where the P5 NU would be a "step" up.  He has coached QB's, receivers and ST's in his career.  Currently OC/QB coach.  Has been coaching in this system for about 5 years.  Balanced passing and running attack.   The offense is "new" and the flavor of the week would help recruiting. The media would eat it up that NU was going back to being option U.  Good publicity.  

Throw in he was with Joe Moglia at CC.  Joe was with Bo Pelini prior.  Definitive NU tie.  Allegedly Frost and CO went there to look at the O.

Korn seems like the smartest hire. 

Where are the tweets that implied it was someone coaching last night?

Just now, gorp512 said:

Korn seems like the smartest hire. 

Where are the tweets that implied it was someone coaching last night?

Forget who it was, but they posted to watch late last night to see NU's new OC.  That would be Harrell or Musgrave at Cal.

Ruggiero and Whipple had the earlier game as did Michigan and Iowa.

I'd agree Korn seems the smartest, less drama hire.  Runs and passes so it's not a "pure" run or "pure" pass scheme based on perception of scheme like Army or USC.  I'll admit I thought NU could throw money and get a "splash" hire, but I was wrong (for OC).  I think Korn gives us a good story for the media to run with.  Heralds back to the good old days of NU's success.  And who doesn't like that.  It's a 3 year contract, so he will and his family will be set regardless.  He and Chadwell are extremely close (TO/Frost) so it might be hard, but I Chadwell would give him solid advise.  

• Plus1 1
49 minutes ago, HANC said:

I disagree. That would be the negative way to look at it though, which would go along with about every other thread on the board. It has been very very well chronicled that this class is extremely small. It also has been widely known that we will not take very many in the early signing period. With very limited slots, they already have A few guys in place. They are going to hit the portal more than ever and you may want an office of coordinator to have some type of say in the athlete you were going to recruit. A lot of guys will still hit the portal after the ball season. This class is going to not rank high , Because of pier numbers. All of the world is coming down peopleWill choose to spend it in a negative fashion but that is typical

I don't understand that logic at all. Just because a class is small doesn't mean it can't still be highly-rated. Knowing this class is small, it should have been filled with primarily 4-star guys. Didn't happen. 

• Thanks 1
42 minutes ago, gorp512 said:

It's clear that Frost is coaching for his job by the fact that they are waiting so long to announce. Implying two things: It's someone with a name and we are going ALL IN on the portal. Like shady level. That's what I convince myself to believe because otherwise, he's given up. 

Unfortunately, I think it may be the latter -- his targets weren't interested, and now he's scrambling to find someone, anyone, who somewhat fits. The longer this goes on, the more likely that's the reason. With all the championship games finished, there's no reason not to make an announcement now.

1 minute ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I don't understand that logic at all. Just because a class is small doesn't mean it can't still be highly-rated. Knowing this class is small, it should have been filled with primarily 4-star guys. Didn't happen. 

Reality is it was a small class, so regardless of star power it would be ranked lower.  Problem is we have no 4* commits.  IIRC, the only B1G school to not have one.  And the sad reality is we have had 4 losing seasons under Frost.  In a row. And at 3-9 the worst record a NU since 1957.  Throw in the uncertainty of a new staff scheme and the uncertainty if the coach you commit to will be here all year or your career and it is just the reality that creates a poor class.  

8 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

That, and it seems like we've been using the "small class" excuse every year for like 12 years now. :lol:

I thought we could oversign by 3 every year now?  Did that rule fall through?

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1