New Offensive Coordinator options?

Just now, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Can't really blame fans for starting to panic... a month has gone by with no news on the OC front. Kinda hard when other big-time programs are making hires left and right. Not a good sign.

As has been mentioned, if the OC was involved in a game over the weekend, it all makes sense. If you don't see anything out of them by Tuesday evening, it's probably time to wonder what's going on.

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Does he have a system?  I thought he was the QB coach with a Co-OC title. 

He makes $140k.  He wouldn't take triple that to be the QB coach at a major university?

I don't see handing over control of the offense to him.  

I like his boss's offense though.  Pay that dude 1.2 million to run the offense.

Like I said earlier, we're not in a position to be picky. Frost is gonna have to take a chance on a guy and hope it works. Chadwell makes a million a year already, and an OC job would be a step down for him. Heck, some would argue that Coastal Carolina is in a better position as a program right now than Nebraska. Some of the other names that have been mentioned don't seem like they'd be much of an upgrade from what we already had. 

2 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

As has been mentioned, if the OC was involved in a game over the weekend, it all makes sense. If you don't see anything out of them by Tuesday evening, it's probably time to wonder what's going on.

Why Tuesday evening? Why not today? I think that was just another excuse used to pacify the fans. Now some are already thinking it'll be NEXT weekend, after the Army-Navy game. I'm not buying it. If we have a guy already lined up, there's no reason - none - why he shouldn't have been named already. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Why Tuesday evening? Why not today? I think that was just another excuse used to pacify the fans. Now some are already thinking it'll be NEXT weekend, after the Army-Navy game. I'm not buying it. If we have a guy already lined up, there's no reason - none - why he shouldn't have been named already. 

We'll see.

I don't understand the whole "our next OC might be playing in another game". Guess what, dudes from losing teams are getting fired.  There is no OC from a losing team getting hired right now.  Every move that has taken place has coaches that are currently on a team going bowling......Maybe even guys coaching in the CFP.  IMO, we have swung and missed and are tracking down the list.  The whole "still coaching" denotes and suggests a winning program as this weekend was championship weekend....And that by having to wait this long, we are getting a home run.  Regardless, I do not think we will ever really know the cause of the delayed hire or delayed response.  We will know/figure more out when the guy is announced.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2

3 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Several, from what I've read: Garret Riley at TCU, Chip Long at GA Tech, Kirk Ciarocca at Minnesota, Eric Morris at Wazzu, Zach Kittley (a guy I mentioned multiple times) at Texas Tech, Tim Beck at New Mexico State

Riley - came with the head coach

Long - His Tulane offense was ranked in the 70s

Ciarocca - back in the same spot he was a couple years ago - isn't official yet

Morris - back at the same school he previously coached

Kittley - back where he played - isn't official yet

Beck - came with the head coach and wasn't a sitting OC

So two of those aren't official yet.  Two came with the HC when the HC moved.  One is back to a school he previously coached at and one is a pretty lackluster hire.

I guess I don't see that as a big incitement of our process.

• Plus1 5
1 minute ago, Mavric said:

So two of those aren't official yet.  Two came with the HC when the HC moved.  One is back to a school he previously coached at and one is a pretty lackluster hire.

How many of those (and others) were searching for an OC for over a month?

7 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Why did we fire coaches with 3 weeks left in the season if there weren't coaches already lined up? Genuinely curious.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, runningblind said:

Why did we fire coaches with 3 weeks left in the season if there weren't coaches already lined up? Genuinely curious.

The applicants pulled an Illinois and didn’t act how we expected them to.  We haven’t been able to adjust.  But we were this close to getting our guys.  One or two more offers.  No one wants this thing to work more than us:D

7 minutes ago, runningblind said:

If we're going to be making changes and begin the process of looking would we want those on staff to find out about it while employed as we're doing it...Lol Given how we essentially know nothing in that regard, maybe that reasoning doesn't even apply huh!

• Plus1 2
46 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Fair question. One could argue this was done more for the fired coaches behalf (to start assessing their next step) since they were Frost’s friends and he can appear loyal to a fault at times. 

Sure, HCSF could start identifying targets but the delay doesn’t bother me as it stands today. We will know if this was Frost properly vetting to get the right guy by making a calculated decision - OR - having to go further down his list due to numerous rejections. I’m sure we can get an idea of how this all ended up when the hires are eventually announced.