New Offensive Coordinator options?

8 hours ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

Harrell comes off as another "Big 10 is going to adjust to us" type hire.

My only comment here is that I don't think we've failed because of our system. In fact, I'm positive that we didn't fail because of that.

We lacked an offensive line that performs on the level of even Illinois' or Minnesota's, and honestly our running back room is probably not even on those teams' level, either.

Now if he wanted to sling the ball 55% of the game? Obviously Husker fans aren't going to like that.

• Plus1 3
25 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

"Jesus name, Frost, what are you doing?! What kind of formation you pullin?!?"

"It's a secret" 

"Oh, it's a secret? Your dummy Os can't run a simple draw, and you got secret formations? S**t for brains, this ain't no f***ing sandlot!"

Thank you for taking me on this emotional rollercoaster with you. You're a young William Shakespeare. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
33 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Please explain something.  Is Harrell that bad or just thar he is a pass first coordinator?  USCs problem this year was Def. Not off.

He's not bad, its just fans having a higher opinion of where the program is at right now and who we can realistically get. I'd say that the offense's issue this past year was the oline over anything schematically. There was good success against all the top teams that we played and they were the only team to really light up Wisconsin this year (something Frost has done every year he's faced them). I think Harrell can help improve the overall efficiency of the offense so it's not as much boom or bust. 

If I were to rate the prospective hires, though, Harrell'd be in the top 5, but not my first choice.

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Undone said:

My only comment here is that I don't think we've failed because of our system. In fact, I'm positive that we didn't fail because of that.

We lacked an offensive line that performs on the level of even Illinois' or Minnesota's, and honestly our running back room is probably not even on those teams' level, either.

Now if he wanted to sling the ball 55% of the game? Obviously Husker fans aren't going to like that.

Exactly. Top 25 in total offense is a good thing. 

• Plus1 1

45 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Please explain something.  Is Harrell that bad or just thar he is a pass first coordinator?  USCs problem this year was Def. Not off.

He might have his strengths as an OC, sure. But our biggest problems on offense are the line and the running game, and Harrell brings nothing to the table that would suggest that he'd be an improvement in those areas.

That said, I think people are reading a little too much into the rumors around Harrell. It's clear that he was an early candidate, and there was some mutual interest. But I think the 'early' part of that is being overlooked a bit too much. If Frost were ready to hire him just based on those early impressions, we wouldn't be sitting here waiting a month to hear who our next OC will be.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1

So almost everyone can agree that our 2 major issues last year were oline and more so even ST. So if we hire Harrell and he runs a pretty similar offense. Then we go out and get a good oline coach an experienced dedicated ST coach and people will be upset about that. Add on to that that people wanted a better QB coach and someone who can bring in big time QB recruits and we would possibly have that also. 

• Plus1 4

22 minutes ago, Toe said:

He might have his strengths as an OC, sure. But our biggest problems on offense are the line and the running game, and Harrell brings nothing to the table that would suggest that he'd be an improvement in those areas.

That said, I think people are reading a little too much into the rumors around Harrell. It's clear that he was an early candidate, and there was some mutual interest. But I think the 'early' part of that is being overlooked a bit too much. If Frost were ready to hire him just based on those early impressions, we wouldn't be sitting here waiting a month to hear who our next OC will be.

I agree with having to run.  Just trying to figure out the oh is me attitude.