New Offensive Coordinator options?

3 minutes ago, huskerfan99 said:

So another “board” is reporting Whipple is the favorite. Thoughts?

Better than Harrell lol

Whipple had a Heisman candidate at QB. 

Either is fine, doesn't matter

USC passes per game 41 (Harrell)

Pitt passes per game 40 (Whipple)

4 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Coaches up a Heisman candidate QB, wins the ACC at Pitt. Decides hey guys the best career move is going to Nebraska on a coach in a make it or be fired year. What could possibly be a better move for me? 

Yeah doesn’t make much sense to me either.

Was just passing the info on.

• Plus1 2

14 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I would take Whipple over Harrell for sure. Pitt had a top 5 scoring offense and he has a long history of coaching up QBs at the college and NFL level.

My cat FWIW told me it’s going to be a  Whipple, Quinn, Busch arrangement. Negotiations are underway! ??? :D

26 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Coaches up a Heisman candidate QB, wins the ACC at Pitt. Decides hey guys the best career move is going to Nebraska on a coach in a make it or be fired year. What could possibly be a better move for me? 

On the Pitt board they are saying Whipple might retire after this year, and they want to promote their up and comer WR coach. Maybe Whipple decided he isn't done and Pitt already committed to handing over the keys to the offense? Just spitballin. 

56 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

And, if those trips into the red zone that didn't have a TD resulted in a field goal, that would be a big difference.  Also, if we had way fewer drives starting on our 5 or 10 yard line, the offense would be more successful.

The fact is, the offense (by looking at the stats) were doing their job pretty well of scoring TDs once they reached the red zone.  Now, that also would have been much better if we had a competent O line that could control the LOS in the red zone.

So, fix ST and the O line, and the view of the offense would be way different by a lot of fans.  And....if that would happen, we would have had way fewer games where the offense is trying to create a miracle at the end of the game in a 2 minute offense.

Imagine if the ST were switched in the Iowa game.  The first several scores by Iowa were field goals and, if I remember right, some of them weren't short.  Imagine if their coaching staff would have had the lack of confidence in their kicker like Frost has had.  Those would have resulted in no score for Iowa more than likely.  And....we probably win.

Edit to add:  I'm not saying there weren't issues on offense.  I'm saying that the scheme was pretty sound.  If we could have a greatly improved O line and ST, everyone would have a different view of the offense and 4 coaches would probably still be employed.

I’ll agree that the scheme is pretty sound. But I’m also done with the excuses and explaining away the results by saying how good some things are. It’s been 3 years of the same unacceptable results. Wins and losses matter. If HCSF isn’t going to make sure kicking and punting function properly, then he needs to make up for it with more offense, an offense that can function in critical situations under time constraints. IMO the kicking failures fall on the offense (yes I know, punting is considered defense but it’s not required if you get first downs) and you don’t need to kick FGs if you’re scoring touchdowns. Something, maybe lots of things, need to change or we’re just confirming the definition of insanity.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

I actually really like the general scheme of this offense like others have said. I wish we'd operate more out of pistol and less out of shotgun, and I'd kill for a real fullback. But aside from that, the biggest drawbacks are play calling, OL (and every other position group other than TE) development, odd personnel choices at WR & RB, etc. This can all be fixed with good coaches who put the structure in place to get the most out of all the players. Talent is not remotely an issue, and the scheme works. It just needs to find a true identity and be operated with consistency, and that starts up front.

• Thanks 3