New Offensive Coordinator options?

4 minutes ago, Toe said:

In 2018, before Whipple showed up, Pitt had the #18 running game in the country. In 2019, Whipple's first year, they had the #118 rushing offense... <_<

A lot of articles about his O, is that he is not a pound the rock guy. He is a pass the damn ball guy for sure.  Does use personnel on hand.  Hasn't historically used TE's.

I posted above the play calls from last year.  Balanced in terms of attempts, but definitely a pass the ball guy.  

1 minute ago, lo country said:

Balanced in terms of attempts, but definitely a pass the ball guy.

Like I was saying earlier, calling a lot of running plays really doesn't mean s#!t if you don't run it well.

19 minutes ago, lo country said:

A lot of articles about his O, is that he is not a pound the rock guy. He is a pass the damn ball guy for sure.  Does use personnel on hand.  Hasn't historically used TE's.

I posted above the play calls from last year.  Balanced in terms of attempts, but definitely a pass the ball guy.  

In the clips I watched of them this year they use a lot of TE at H back out of pistol which i would think should fit well with how Frost used Allen this year. Also a lot of splitting TE out wide and he will have a redshirt freshman here that should feast out there. His top 2 TE stats together match ours pretty closely with just a lot more TDs. 

• Thanks 1

Isn't Haarberg supposed to have a hell of an arm?  I also think Smothers has a suitable arm after watching the throw against Iowa where he wasn't able to follow through but still managed a 30 yard (?) strike to Manning.

Could be fun to see how it goes...

Maybe the bastard child of RPO, West Coast, Air-Raid, Option, Power-Spread will be the cat's meow of football in a couple years when NU starts to rattle off a couple of championship seasons!!!!

I think the idea is to play to your strengths. Whipple had a Heisman candidate, running the ball would be stupid, so why the concern over Pitts run/pass ratio. Alabama didn't beat GA pounding the rock.  Our problem has been trying to play big 10 football.  Get an accurate passer, much like Purdue does. Get two or 3 scores ahead and let MN, IA and WI pound the rock all they want and let them have their 8 minute drives and see if they can catch up.    

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

If it’s Whipple it will be interesting. We landed MJ so we need to convey to highly recruited WR’s we are going to throw the ball. MJ is good with WR’s, Whipple is good with QB’s. We have some WR’s and TE’s on the roster that should be featured. Sounds like we’ll get a portal QB. I think Smothers can still win the job also. So that is our strength and what Frost is going to do. 

We still have to run the ball soundly but the OL and the RB room need help. We probably know this and figure pass attack gets us to more wins next year vs a running game that is probably more of an uncertainty how it will perform next season and even more of a work in progress.

• Fire 1
30 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

If it’s Whipple it will be interesting. We landed MJ so we need to convey to highly recruited WR’s we are going to throw the ball. MJ is good with WR’s, Whipple is good with QB’s. We have some WR’s and TE’s on the roster that should be featured. Sounds like we’ll get a portal QB. I think Smothers can still win the job also. So that is our strength and what Frost is going to do. 

We still have to run the ball soundly but the OL and the RB room need help. We probably know this and figure pass attack gets us to more wins next year vs a running game that is probably more of an uncertainty how it will perform next season and even more of a work in progress.

Brown and Joseph were on the road recruiting a highly regarded RB prospect. Definitely need to get to running the ball reliably. 

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1