New Offensive Coordinator options?

1 hour ago, M.A. said:

Helfrich

Some people think that Helfrich is a sure deal.  This writer and others have speculated that Helfrich it the future OC as he is trusted by Frost, shares the same vision of what the O should look like and would be the person SF would be the most comfortable handing the play calling duties to.  

We shall see.  I'm not in that camp - doing the same old same old won't bring new results.  

https://www.si.com/college/nebraska/football/husker-dan-a-big-red-gamble

A "package" hire seems to be the best way to fill the positions quickly and most effectively.

Mark my word

I would have to think Frost's OC choice will be Mark Helfrich, former Chicago Bears OC and former head football coach at Oregon (2013-2016). Frost was Helfrich's OC when both were at Oregon (2013-2015).

During Helfrich's four years as the Ducks' head coach, Oregon had records of 11-2, 13-2, 9-4 and 4-8. Frost left Oregon after the 2015 season to take the head coaching job at UCF.

If Frost picks anyone else, I'll be surprised. But if Helfrich is the man, the other three assistants will fall in line like a Marine drill team. Helfrich currently serves as a football analyst for Fox.

If I'm right, look for Frost to make the announcement of the new OC and the other three hires within the next couple of weeks. The early signing date for the 2022 recruiting class is next month on December 15th.

• Fire 1

30 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Some people think that Helfrich is a sure deal.  This writer and others have speculated that Helfrich it the future OC as he is trusted by Frost, shares the same vision of what the O should look like and would be the person SF would be the most comfortable handing the play calling duties to.  

We shall see.  I'm not in that camp - doing the same old same old won't bring new results.  

I really hope his speculative guess is wrong. Another friend hire would be a major let down. 

• Plus1 3

Helfrich strikes me as Lubick 2.0. Oregon connection. Seems he’s been out of coaching for a while. He may be more of a seasoned play caller, and would probably bring some decent assistants. But if it were up to me, I’d probably opt for someone with more current B1G experience.

It might be ambitious, but Herman or O’Brien would be my targets. I wonder if making them Associate Head Coach would provide any sway in getting their attention. Maybe something along the lines of “Come be our OC and Associate HC. If Neb gets turned around wins 9 games a couple years in a row, you can stay on and get a fat pay raise or parlay it into a head coaching gig. If Scott goes 5-7 and gets axed, you can take over.”

41 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Not sure how you bank on a guy who took the ducks from an 11 win season to a 4 win season in four years

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, Fru said:

Helfrich strikes me as Lubick 2.0. Oregon connection. Seems he’s been out of coaching for a while. He may be more of a seasoned play caller, and would probably bring some decent assistants. But if it were up to me, I’d probably opt for someone with more current B1G experience.

It might be ambitious, but Herman or O’Brien would be my targets. I wonder if making them Associate Head Coach would provide any sway in getting their attention. Maybe something along the lines of “Come be our OC and Associate HC. If Neb gets turned around wins 9 games a couple years in a row, you can stay on and get a fat pay raise or parlay it into a head coaching gig. If Scott goes 5-7 and gets axed, you can take over.”

I agree 100%.  2.0 of the same is -2 in my book.   We don't need someone new to learn how to play big boy ball in the Big 10.   I would be fine wt Herman or O'Brien as OC as they know the Big 10. I think they could do OK wt recruiting as well.   The one issue wt naming them the Assoc HC is that if Scott fails, it means he probably failed on the offense side again - which means the AHC/OC failed both as OC and as AHC.   Of course, what could happen in the usual Nebraska way is that next year our O is up while our D is down.  Good chance that occurs with all of the experience leaving the defensive side of the ball at the end of this season.  

33 minutes ago, Fru said:

Don't worry there will be some piece from one of the local sports writers that ensures us his time away from football has helped him find himself, and has rekindled his love for football.

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

Don't worry there will be some piece from one of the local sports writers that ensures us his time away from football has helped him find himself, and has rekindled his love for football.

Helfrich would make me nervous, but as Chip Kelly's OC they went to 2 Rose Bowls, a BCS National Championship game, Alamo Bowl and a Fiesta Bowl. Their first year they were 10-3 and after that they never lost more than 2 games. So it's not like he can't get s#!t done as a coordinator.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
21 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Helfrich would make me nervous, but as Chip Kelly's OC they went to 2 Rose Bowls, a BCS National Championship game, Alamo Bowl and a Fiesta Bowl. Their first year they were 10-3 and after that they never lost more than 2 games. So it's not like he can't get s#!t done as a coordinator.

Chip Kelly was the real OC by the way. Helfrich did not call plays.

• Plus1 1