New Offensive Coordinator options?

I usually just come here to read and not post.  Thought I would add to this thread today.  If he isn't considered for other HC jobs I think Justin Fuente would be an interesting possibility for OC.  He was OC/QB coach at TCU when they had the run with Andy Dalton and then took over a Memphis program that at the time was one of the worse jobs in America.  Innovative offense and great development (in college) with Paxton Lynch as well.  Hasn't been great at Virgina Tech, but won ACC coach of the year and has a winning record.  I think he would be a really good OC/QB coach here at Nebraska.  Worth a call from Coach Frost.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
18 minutes ago, huskerpipeline54 said:

I usually just come here to read and not post.  Thought I would add to this thread today.  If he isn't considered for other HC jobs I think Justin Fuente would be an interesting possibility for OC.  He was OC/QB coach at TCU when they had the run with Andy Dalton and then took over a Memphis program that at the time was one of the worse jobs in America.  Innovative offense and great development (in college) with Paxton Lynch as well.  Hasn't been great at Virgina Tech, but won ACC coach of the year and has a winning record.  I think he would be a really good OC/QB coach here at Nebraska.  Worth a call from Coach Frost.

Might be worth exploring. Fuente was good at working with what he had at Memphis and demonstrated quite a lot of creativity there.  

28 minutes ago, huskerpipeline54 said:

I am a Fuente fan and if Frost wouldn’t have come, I would have been ok with Fuente. With that said, his current issues mimic our issues. He is criticized for not developing qb and recruiting has tailed off recently, although I am not concerned about our recruiting unless this year becomes a pattern.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, admo said:

Will the OC have extra duties?  OC/QB coach or OC/WR?

We need to fill OL, OC, WR, RB, ST

Nothing to back it up, but I say no. Sounds like SF wants and needs full time OC to actually take control and call plays. I don’t think they saddle new guy with additional duties 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, HANC said:

Nothing to back it up, but I say no. Sounds like SF wants and needs full time OC to actually take control and call plays. I don’t think they saddle new guy with additional duties 

Are you assuming Beckton picks up WR with TE then? Otherwise not sure how it would work without doing such. 

8 minutes ago, HANC said:

Most OC's also take on a position group, usually QB or O-line, depending on their area of expertise.  It's not a saddling of additional duties.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, admo said:

Thanks fellas.

Would that mean we will hire WR coach?  It's a very talented room.  I don't think Beckton will do TE/WR.   That's a lot to ask.  He just doing it right now temporarily.

I don't think it's a lot to ask Beckton to take on the WR's.  He's done it in the past at UCF, and the WR/TE's are intertwined in the passing game.  Yes, TE's will do more "blocking", but they can slide over and work with the o-line during blocking drills.

My thought of having Beckton adding WR's to his role, would enable the addition of a full-time special teams coordinator.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1