New Offensive Coordinator options?

4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't think it's a lot to ask Beckton to take on the WR's.  He's done it in the past at UCF, and the WR/TE's are intertwined in the passing game.  Yes, TE's will do more "blocking", but they can slide over and work with the o-line during blocking drills.

My thought of having Beckton adding WR's to his role, would enable the addition of a full-time special teams coordinator.

Interesting.  Thanks.

Just seems that he would be handling 10+ guys with 2 important positions for receiving and blocking.  Meanwhile our ILB/OLB coaches handling a small role in comparison. 

• Plus1 1

Just now, admo said:

Interesting.  Thanks.

Just seems that he would be handling 10+ guys with 2 important positions for receiving and blocking.  Meanwhile our IL/OL coaches handling a small role in comparison. 

I assume you are referencing ILB/OLB positions, and I do agree with you in that it seems like there is an imbalance of players and roles under Dawson's and Ruud's coaching.  I assume that's why Dawson also takes on some of the special team's coaching.  However, I think the responsibilities of the OLB/ILB positions are pretty different in the defensive scheme and I understand why they would have different position coaches.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I assume you are referencing ILB/OLB positions, and I do agree with you in that it seems like there is an imbalance of players and roles under Dawson's and Ruud's coaching.  I assume that's why Dawson also takes on some of the special team's coaching.  However, I think the responsibilities of the OLB/ILB positions are pretty different in the defensive scheme and I understand why they would have different position coaches.

Ok, one last question, and I will hang up and listen off the air lol

The RB coach has one guy on the field, and usually gets 2 in the game.  I can see an OC/RB coach handling that responsibility.  Could you see that as a possibility?

Beckton would have TE, X, Y, Z on the field, sometimes 2 TE sets, rotations, formations, fresh bodies, and route running.  He only has 2 eyes to see everything happening and that's why I felt like it's a lot to ask.  But if it's really not as difficult as it seems, than that's great.  I just don't want to see drop off in the passing game.

12 minutes ago, admo said:

Ok, one last question, and I will hang up and listen off the air lol

The RB coach has one guy on the field, and usually gets 2 in the game.  I can see an OC/RB coach handling that responsibility.  Could you see that as a possibility?

Beckton would have TE, X, Y, Z on the field, sometimes 2 TE sets, rotations, formations, fresh bodies, and route running.  He only has 2 eyes to see everything happening and that's why I felt like it's a lot to ask.  But if it's really not as difficult as it seems, than that's great.  I just don't want to see drop off in the passing game.

I think of position coaches less in terms of guys on the field, and more of how much stuff do they need to coach.  While a RB coach probably only has 1 guy on the field, that guy needs to know how to run inside, outside, man blocking vs. zone blocking, pass catching, pass protection, so I would think that's a lot of coaching and teaching involved for that position group.  The RB athletes should also be involved in special teams, so additional management of players there.

With WR's/TE's, I think most of the coaching would be understanding route trees (which are all pretty basic), reading defenses, catching techniques, and techniques to beating coverages.  While there are a lot of players potentially on the field, the coaching of them isn't all that different.

I prefer the OC to be involved with QB and O-line, as IMO they are most impactful to the success of the business.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ZRod said:

I know that Kelly calls the plays, but an OC does a lot more than just play calling.

You are right that the OC has more jobs than just play calling. He determines from week to week what plays in the playbook will work against Saturday’s opponent then in coordination with the assistants hopefully gets everyone on the same page. The assistants tell him what players are nicked up and who is out for the game. I just think the person most fit for play calling should be the OC who has seen all the groups all week. Even more so than the head coach who may have been called away for part of a practice or has fires to put out.

3 minutes ago, RichardHangslow said:

I don't know if he has been mentioned or not but Tom Herman?

It has. And that's a double-edged sword of a hire if there ever was one. 

And yes, we should grab Fuente as an analyst or as OC. Guy has a lot of upside. 

• Plus1 2

Wouldn’t we know by now if it was Heldrich as he is currently not working for another team. That tells me it is not him otherwise we’d have had the announcement. He’d be recruiting and three would be shots of him in the booth looking down at our offense playing Wisky this Saturday. And the old footage of him with Frost at Oregon. We’d get all the commentary on him and such. We wouldn’t let that free advertising go to waste. 

This seems to be a good thing as Frost knows he has to get back to physical football with nasty OL and downhill running.  No more scat back between the tackles.

• Haha 1
On 11/12/2021 at 12:56 PM, runningblind said:

And what offense is that exactly? Are you telling me everything we've been hearing about mixing it up,  starting from scratch, needing new ideas etc. is just the coach blowing more smoke?  Brand new offensive staff to do the exact same thing? 

For every Russell Wilson there are 20 Tate Martells. A guy with first string potential who didn't make it at his first school you're saying, why would they succeed here instead on an underperforming team? Genuinely curious the thought process there.

Joe Burrow is the thought process. There is no Joe Burrow if someone doesn’t take a chance on him for his senior year. How many guys are backups at great power five schools that never get a real chance like that?