Jump to content


New Offensive Coordinator options?


Recommended Posts


What the Wisconsin game should again reinforce for everyone is that our scheme is just fine. Actually, it's better than "just fine," it's probably the best scheme & playbook in the Big Ten West.

 

We scored the third most points against Wisconsin on Saturday. Most everything that Frost called worked and we moved the ball downfield against them using speed and deception of passing routes.

 

But then what happened? Our QB threw two bad interceptions, theirs threw zero, and that decided the game.

 

The scheme and playbook are great. Firing Lubick was a mistake - unless Frost is planning on appeasing "Run the Damn Ball Guy™" and just hammering it 75% of the time with a running back next year to try to save his job.

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment
21 minutes ago, Undone said:

Firing Lubick was a mistake - unless Frost is planning on appeasing "Run the Damn Ball Guy™" and just hammering it 75% of the time with a running back next year to try to save his job.

Lubick isn't the mastermind behind the scheme at all and certainly wasn't a wizard play caller if he even called them ever. . And because of that, he better have caused huge dividends in all of the other areas he was hired to help with. What are those areas? Well, nobody would know for sure because he was marginal. Letting him go with the goal to replace with real talent was never a mistake. 

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment

8 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

Lubick isn't the mastermind behind the scheme at all and certainly wasn't a wizard play caller if he even called them ever. . And because of that, he better have caused huge dividends in all of the other areas he was hired to help with. What are those areas? Well, nobody would know for sure because he was marginal. Letting him go with the goal to replace with real talent was never a mistake. 

 

For fans, firing a coach on a team that has a terrible record feels good and feels justified.

 

But firing a guy is roughly only 50% of the task; the other 50% is who you bring in to replace him.

 

I don't believe it was Frost's idea to fire Lubick. And because it probably wasn't his idea, I'm thinking whoever's idea it was (Alberts, Green, etc.) may pressure Frost to bring in a guy that changes the scheme quite a bit.

 

And I'm saying again for the record that our scheme hasn't been the problem at all.

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment

I believe whoever gets named as OC will be a situation similar to when Riley got hired as head coach. It'll be a "who's that?" kind of a situation.

 

Then people will google the guy's name and reassure themselves and others that it's a good hire.

 

Our program is circling the drain and truly looks like we have no idea WTF we're doing at all. And that's probably because we really don't.

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, Undone said:

I believe whoever gets named as OC will be a situation similar to when Riley got hired as head coach. It'll be a "who's that?" kind of a situation.

 

Then people will google the guy's name and reassure themselves and others that it's a good hire.

 

Our program is circling the drain and truly looks like we have no idea WTF we're doing at all. And that's probably because we really don't.

I agreed with your last few posts till the bolded.  I know this is how the fans feel.  But, I believe Trev let the world know exactly what we are doing and how we are moving forward.  We want to keep stability in the program while making major changes on the offensive coaching staff.  

 

It feels like we are swimming in the ocean with no place to go as a fan.  I get that.  But, as you pointed out, our scheme on offense or defense wasn't the problem.  Improve the position coaching and bring someone in that might be a great play caller within our scheme.  Bring in someone who HOPEFULLY fixes our ST and we win more games right there.  

 

Fans feel the way you described it.  I don't believe the coaching community feels the same way.

Link to comment

These two concepts:

 

12 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

But, I believe Trev let the world know exactly what we are doing and how we are moving forward.

 

and:

 

12 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

But, as you pointed out, our scheme on offense or defense wasn't the problem.  Improve the position coaching and bring someone in that might be a great play caller within our scheme.

 

are incompatible.

 

Alberts didn't have the guts to fire Frost. He didn't have the guts to fire the Scott Frost after not even having completed 12 months on the job himself...even though Frost's performance this season and the last three absolutely make him worthy of being fired.

 

So Alberts and the administration cooked up a plan that makes it look like they're just so disgusted and fed up with the mediocrity...the quantity of coaches fired makes it seem to the average observer that it's a tough plan.

 

But the plan lacks substance. They didn't have a good head coach lined up to come in that is better than Frost on paper, or they didn't like the buyout situation.

 

What we really need is a QB from the portal that is throw first, run second. And then we need better offensive line coaching & development.

 

From everything I'm seeing, whoever gets brought in as OC has a very, very low chance of making a positive impact for 2022, all things considered.

 

If key offensive players jump ship in the offseason, 2022 is f*****.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment

9 minutes ago, Undone said:

Alberts didn't have the guts to fire Frost. He didn't have the guts to fire the Scott Frost after not even having completed 12 months on the job himself...even though Frost's performance this season and the last three absolutely make him worthy of being fired.

 

So Alberts and the administration cooked up a plan that makes it look like they're just so disgusted and fed up with the mediocrity...the quantity of coaches fired makes it seem to the average observer that it's a tough plan.

1200px-Manwithtinfoilhat.jpg

  • Plus1 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Undone said:

 

And I'm saying again for the record that our scheme hasn't been the problem at all.

 

100%. As I said in another post. Scheme gets you between the 20's the line gets you to glory. 

 

The fact that we rack up sooo many yards until redzone shows the scheme works. The lack of success in the redzone show the glaring weaknesses in the line.

 

Fix the line and we have an amazing offense that moves the ball and puts up a ton of points. 

  • Plus1 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Undone said:

Alberts didn't have the guts to fire Frost. He didn't have the guts to fire the Scott Frost after not even having completed 12 months on the job himself...even though Frost's performance this season and the last three absolutely make him worthy of being fired.

 

So Alberts and the administration cooked up a plan that makes it look like they're just so disgusted and fed up with the mediocrity...the quantity of coaches fired makes it seem to the average observer that it's a tough plan.

You have no basis for this thought process.  You claim he didn't have the guts to fire him.  It's just as possible that he truly believes the right thing to do was to NOT fire him.

 

I also find it funny that you claim he doesn't have the guts to fire a coach when so many people didn't like Trev being hired because he was so ruthless in his last position.

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I also find it funny that you claim he doesn't have the guts to fire a coach when so many people didn't like Trev being hired because he was so ruthless in his last position.

 

Those people just must not be very good at drawing conclusions and connecting dots.

 

Nobody gives a s*** about the UNO wrestling program or UNO athletics. I mean, maybe a few hundred people do.

 

Being the athletic director at NU and making a decision about firing Scott Frost as the head football coach isn't even in the same area code.

  • Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.





×
  • Create New...