New Offensive Coordinator options?

42 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Kill is very good, but likely headed where he knows the AD.

Kill believes in winning the LOS and a strong run game.

Kill is one of those coaches that will bring a strong OL coach with him.

That is a very very important piece as Frost makes the OC hire.  Frost has mentioned it could be a package deal.

A strong OL coaching hire is a big deal.

He and their Beck are headed there

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2021/11/24/22800899/new-mexico-state-aggies-football-to-hire-jerry-kill-as-next-head-football-coach-c-usa-tcu

1 hour ago, lo country said:

He did use the diamond once and the great option play against Michigan that Urbs loved.

Cowboys ran something similar for a failed 2pt conversion tonight. I still love Brady Hoke and his DC's reaction. Just scratching their heads.

• Plus1 1
49 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

We do not need anyone else with Nebraska ties unless they are top notch. I hope Frost is thinking bigger than just guys who have ties to Nebraska or guys he is comfortable with.  He needs somebody to push his thinking and the thinking of the rest of the offensive staff.  

Strangely, I've heard the exact opposite. Helfrich is the rumored favorite... a guy he's worked with previously, that he's comfortable with.

5 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Strangely, I've heard the exact opposite. Helfrich is the rumored favorite... a guy he's worked with previously, that he's comfortable with.

Again, please no.  No more of that weak a$$ Oregon/Oregon St stink on this program....That's an "easy/safe" pick, that will produce more of the same crap.  If it's Helfrich, I'd have just saved the time and fired Frost.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
13 hours ago, lo country said:

Again, please no.  No more of that weak a$$ Oregon/Oregon St stink on this program....That's an "easy/safe" pick, that will produce more of the same crap.  If it's Helfrich, I'd have just saved the time and fired Frost.

That weak s#!t has been closer to national championships than anything Nebraska's done in 20 years.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, ZRod said:

That weak s#!t has been close to national championships than anything Nebraska done in 20 years.

And I still want it nowhere NU.  The inventor of that awesome Oregon O is 15-25 at UCLA.  Outdated, outplayed and no thanks.  

Not to mention Riley beat him and he went for 2 every time....

• Plus1 1
27 minutes ago, lo country said:

And I still want it nowhere NU.  The inventor of that awesome Oregon O is 15-25 at UCLA.  Outdated, outplayed and no thanks.  

Not to mention Riley beat him and he went for 2 every time....

I don't disagree, but I think Offensive Coordinator options are extremely limited.

The coordinators worth a lick are going to join the new staffs at USC/LSU/Florida. They'll have a job for at least a few seasons and recruiting is relatively easy.

At Nebraska, they're going to be tasked with fixing an offense plagued with problems and a recruiting situation that is dire. They're essentially being asked to do the impossible in what is likely a 1 year job. 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I don't disagree, but I think Offensive Coordinator options are extremely limited.

The coordinators worth a lick are going to join the new staffs at USC/LSU/Florida. They'll have a job for at least a few seasons and recruiting is relatively easy.

At Nebraska, they're going to be tasked with fixing an offense plagued with problems and a recruiting situation that is dire. They're essentially being asked to do the impossible in what is likely a 1 year job. 

Wonder if that was in Trev's decision making process.  Give him one more year, implode and have another losing season.  Save some money in the buyout and fire Frost after giving him "every chance" in the world to fix things.  Another losing season and no one would say keep him.  The "he's one of us" reason would be gone at that point.  OR Trev and others see that Frost is truly a few players away and a better staff away from really doing something.  It's a hell of an up hill climb.  Like you said, hard to get a big name guy on what might be a 1 year deal when a lot of "better" spots are opening up this year.

1 minute ago, lo country said:

Wonder if that was in Trev's decision making process.  Give him one more year, implode and have another losing season.  Save some money in the buyout and fire Frost after giving him "every chance" in the world to fix things.  Another losing season and no one would say keep him.  The "he's one of us" reason would be gone at that point.  OR Trev and others see that Frost is truly a few players away and a better staff away from really doing something.  It's a hell of an up hill climb.  Like you said, hard to get a big name guy on what might be a 1 year deal when a lot of "better" spots are opening up this year.

I'm guessing #2.  The players have not quit on him like past coaches.   I agree that getting a big time coach in this situation is tough and Helfrich might be the best fit. 

7 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

I'm guessing #2.  The players have not quit on him like past coaches.   I agree that getting a big time coach in this situation is tough and Helfrich might be the best fit. 

Listened to AA talk about leaving and feeling like they let the staff down.  Alluded that their mistakes (players) cost the coaches their jobs.  I do believe that Frost has flipped the culture and that the kids won't and didn't quit.  Gotta be next to impossible after losing 8 games by less points than some teams lose to in one game.  Winning tomorrow would energize this team and staff going into the off season.  Might make a "maybe" decision into a "hell yea" decision.  Gotta get the dub tomorrow.

13 minutes ago, lo country said:

He is expecting #1, and it was a good call PR wise, but hoping for #2. #2 would be awesome, but I am never gonna hold my breath there.

8 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Yes I have heard that name too but I would prefer Frost go with someone who is both proven and may push him in new directions.

I think we'd all prefer that, but I will be very surprised if he actually does that. I could see Helfrich announced as soon as tomorrow evening to try and jumpstart recruiting.  Whomever it is should be announced by Monday, otherwise you're wasting the recruiting benefit of firing the others in season for the early signing day. If they don't announce over the weekend/on Monday, that probably means they are struggling finding someone who's interested.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1