Jump to content


New Offensive Coordinator options?


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Mullen would be great. If we could pull LeFleur from the Packers or Urban from the Jags to be OC, those would be great too. College guys like Ryan Day or Malzahn would be great OC hires. 

Haha, I hear you. But if there is some inside knowledge that Mullen is out at FL than let’s talk to him. It would be a splash that would get people’s attention as Mullen can coach offense and QB’s. He could help us win the West.

Link to comment

2 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

Haha, I hear you. But if there is some inside knowledge that Mullen is out at FL than let’s talk to him. It would be a splash that would get people’s attention as Mullen can coach offense and QB’s. He could help us win the West.

Mullen's options would be too good, even if let go from UF. Mullen and Herman will give us a hard no. I even think a guy like Ruggiero is going to have better options on the table. I know people want a sure thing, but sure things aren't coming here under these circumstances. 

Link to comment
12 hours ago, The Dude said:

 

Romo has forgotten more about football than most of these college coaches will ever learn.  I always wondered how he'd do as a coach, but I think he could easily snag a coordinator job in the NFL if he was so inclined.

 

I do think it's Helfrich that Scott has in mind for the position.   Scott seems committed to running the duck sh!t offense.  Which, to me, kind of defeats the purpose of cleaning house on the offensive side of the ball.

The idea of Helfrich makes sense on a "ego" level for Frost. You KNOW he wants to be involved with playcalling, even if he is publicly saying he needs to get better at just overseeing the Team. Helfrich is one guy where Frost would have a harder time meddling with, simply because of their previous coaching relationship.

 

And imo, the Duck offense does not bother me. It can work, it just needs someone who can call it with current and future purpose in a game.

  • Plus1 2
Link to comment
21 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Mullen's options would be too good, even if let go from UF. Mullen and Herman will give us a hard no. I even think a guy like Ruggiero is going to have better options on the table. I know people want a sure thing, but sure things aren't coming here under these circumstances. 

The LSU guys are available now. I also look around the Big 12. Manning at ISU and the guy at Baylor. Big 12 is becoming less relevant so coaches there may look to move.

Link to comment

Really anyone with success in the SEC or BIG10 is where I would focus. Those are the top 2 conferences. SEC obviously being the best. If you can coach in the SEC you can do the BIG10. But taking a guy with BIG12 or PAC12 experience wont get me excited. Considering defense is optional in those conferences how many great D coordinators did they have to scheme against.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment

2 hours ago, UniversalMartin said:

And imo, the Duck offense does not bother me. It can work, it just needs someone who can call it with current and future purpose in a game.

The Ducks under Helfrich did make the college football championship game.   If he were the offensive coordinator, it would be a good hire IMO.

 

I agree with the idea that different schemes can work, what is important is that the plays fit the player strong points and are executed well, along with some adaptability.

  • Plus1 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, UniversalMartin said:

The idea of Helfrich makes sense on a "ego" level for Frost. You KNOW he wants to be involved with playcalling, even if he is publicly saying he needs to get better at just overseeing the Team. Helfrich is one guy where Frost would have a harder time meddling with, simply because of their previous coaching relationship.

 

And imo, the Duck offense does not bother me. It can work, it just needs someone who can call it with current and future purpose in a game.

 

From Scott's press conference 2 things stood out to me.  He doesn't want to abandon the duck sh!t offense, and he wants someone he's worked with before.   Kinda has to he Helfrich, right?

 

It would be the big "name" hire.  And it makes sense for what Frost wants to do.  I just don't see the point of firing your whole offensive staff if you're not making wholesale changes.

  • Plus1 2
Link to comment

1 hour ago, observer3 said:

The Ducks under Helfrich did make the college football championship game.   If he were the offensive coordinator, it would be a good hire IMO.

 

I agree with the idea that different schemes can work, what is important is that the plays fit the player strong points and are executed well, along with some adaptability.

helfrich is probably our best realistic option.  dude loves to run the ball.  he lit it up his four years as a hc at oregon(frost as oc for the first 3 years), but defense suffered under his watch.  if he recruited better on defense he'd still be there.

 

no one has done well with colorado or the chicago bears in recent memory.   

 

not saying he's a must get oc, but we could do a lot worse.

  • Plus1 2
Link to comment
4 hours ago, chamrocck said:

The LSU guys are available now. I also look around the Big 12. Manning at ISU and the guy at Baylor. Big 12 is becoming less relevant so coaches there may look to move.

lsu has actually regressed from last year on offense.  i'm not saying that's all on peetz, but he hasn't done anything to make me want him as an oc.  qb coach maybe.  i'd take joseph for wr coach in a heartbeat.

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.





×
  • Create New...