New Offensive Coordinator options?

The simplified version over the years is that the Pac 12 is speed and passing, and the Big 10 is strength and running.

There are plenty of exceptions to this rule. 

Either way, the Pac 12 holds a slight advantage over the Big 10 in head to head play, and plenty of Big 10 teams run an evolution of the WCO. 

Every team and scheme needs big, fast, strong, smart players, in weather chilly or hot.  

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Not true regarding "this situation".

A quarterback has an opportunity to put up big offensive numbers with this offense 

And what offense is that exactly? Are you telling me everything we've been hearing about mixing it up,  starting from scratch, needing new ideas etc. is just the coach blowing more smoke?  Brand new offensive staff to do the exact same thing? 

11 minutes ago, Courtesy Flush said:

I actually think it’s a prime position to be in; once the offensive staff has been identified. A guy that is second string with first string potential steps right in with little competition.

For every Russell Wilson there are 20 Tate Martells. A guy with first string potential who didn't make it at his first school you're saying, why would they succeed here instead on an underperforming team? Genuinely curious the thought process there.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, runningblind said:

And what offense is that exactly? Are you telling me everything we've been hearing about mixing it up,  starting from scratch, needing new ideas etc. is just the coach blowing more smoke?  Brand new offensive staff to do the exact same thing? 

For every Russell Wilson there are 20 Tate Martells. A guy with first string potential who didn't make it at his first school you're saying, why would they succeed here instead on an underperforming team? Genuinely curious the thought process there.

I've heard "mixing it up" and "starting from scratch" exactly zero times from Frost.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I've heard "mixing it up" and "starting from scratch" exactly zero times from Frost.

Starting from scratch was probably a rumor I'll give you that,  but you don't fire 80% of your offensive staff and say you might turn the whole offense and play calling over to a new OC without expecting it to look different. 

He says he needs new ideas and I expect the assistant pool (read: willing assistant pool) to be quite small. Everyone knows they'll have just one year to prove themselves and I'd argue just half a year with that reduced buyout date being moved up to October 1, 2022.  Going to be a hard sell for assistants, unless they're currently unemployed.

10 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Starting from scratch was probably a rumor I'll give you that,  but you don't fire 80% of your offensive staff and say you might turn the whole offense and play calling over to a new OC without expecting it to look different. 

He says he needs new ideas and I expect the assistant pool (read: willing assistant pool) to be quite small. Everyone knows they'll have just one year to prove themselves and I'd argue just half a year with that reduced buyout date being moved up to October 1, 2022.  Going to be a hard sell for assistants, unless they're currently unemployed.

You seem to post without knowing what Frost said.

If Frost is fired in the first half of the season, it's the original $15 million.

Details matter.

Assistants are typically on 2 year contracts so this "situation" isn't anything they aren't used to in the college football climate.

17 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Assistants are typically on 2 year contracts so this "situation" isn't anything they aren't used to in the college football climate.

Quite a bit of difference between going to a new staff with a long leash, an existing staff with equity built up and a staff where it's a one year prove it year. Elite guys can be picky on where they cash out. Wouldn't want to tank their lotto ticket on a bad situation. Not saying we will get a bad OC, but this isn't the situation an elite guy will pick. I'd prefer a guy with something to prove anyways. 

24 minutes ago, TheSker said:

You seem to post without knowing what Frost said.

If Frost is fired in the first half of the season, it's the original $15 million.

Details matter.

The buyout changes on Oct 1st, which is the halfway point of the season, as I said. I never said within the first half, I said half a year. Yes, details matter.

We will see who is interested, and it most definitely is a unique situation.  You don't know they'll be offered 2 year contracts or not,  just like you can't say what this offense will look like or how any QB might do in it.

• Plus1 1

Frost just fired four offensive assistants; one being the offensive coordinator after less than two calendar years who is a long-time friend of Frost. The next OC will be the third in five years.

Frost is on the hot seat heading into 2022, meaning this could be a one-year (or less) job for these assistants. Recruits (both high school and transfer portal) and parents of recruits know this, which is likely why Frost has only landed verbal commitments from two high-school recruits during the 2021 season. With the four offensive coaches being fired, attrition amongst last year's and this year's offensive recruits is likely to be high.

And don't forget Frost is still under investigation by the NCAA.

Given these current conditions, what quality of assistants do you think are actually interested in taking these jobs?

• Plus1 1