Tips from a three-time National Coach of the Year who helped two programs win national championships

cheekygeek

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

You really think not focusing on size in the big ten is a good idea?

you need big, strong guys on the oline.

getting guys who are good, tough football players that have the frame to add enough weight will make better olineman 2 or 3 years down the road vs big guys with marginal ability.

people generally get a lot stronger from 18 - 22/23.  a LOT.

2 minutes ago, White Flash said:

you need big, strong guys on the oline.

getting guys who are good, tough football players that have the frame to add enough weight will make better olineman 2 or 3 years down the road vs big guys with marginal ability.

people generally get a lot stronger from 18 - 22/23.  a LOT.

A coach has to be given time then to develop those linemen to play 2-4 years down the road. Unless, he happens to come into a sweet situation with them already on the team. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

I think it would be better to say that it's desirable, but not everything. 

I agree. If you look at the mid 90s Husker OL. They were between 280-310 and all super athletic guys. If you are 290 and fast and athletic and will fire off the ball faster than a 320 lb guy. I am taking the 290 lb guy to win that battle 

1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I agree. If you look at the mid 90s Husker OL. They were between 280-310 and all super athletic guys. If you are 290 and fast and athletic and will fire off the ball faster than a 320 lb guy. I am taking the 290 lb guy to win that battle 

My favorite line was:

6. Great defenses always have one thing in common - EVERYONE CAN RUN! 250 [lbs] at the point of the tackle is better than 300 [lbs] on the way!

6 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

A coach has to be given time then to develop those linemen to play 2-4 years down the road. Unless, he happens to come into a sweet situation with them already on the team. 

Part of his job is to RECRUIT the players he will develop. But I think the main epiphany (for me) from this article is that you can successfully put a great athlete from many positions (including offense) on the OLine and develop them. Obviously this requires a cooperative player (being convinced of the wisdom of such a move). But you need a guy who is willing to play wherever for the good of the team. The Transfer Portal may make such a player rarer, these days, but if you can successfully redeploy someone AND get them in the NFL, I guarantee more players will listen regarding such a move. Your staff has to have the players trust that they know what they are talking about when it comes to the possibility of getting drafted at the next level.