Frost: Dawson done “great job” with special teams- may not hire a dedicated ST Coordinator

seaofred92

5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Just because Riley had a Special Teams coach who was at practice for 30 minutes and then left, doesn't take away from the value of a special teams coach. 

2 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Attempt to dismiss the point all you like.

We need a special teams coach, period.  Complain about Mr. Fo-Fiddy all you like but his teams were mid 30's nationally in ST efficiency.  We are 128th right now.  Not even TheSker can defend that with a straight face. 

3 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

You're alive? 

Frost was brought back so he ended his leave of absence from the board to tell us all how close we continue to be with the right side of the offensive line.  They should be really good in year 2.

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, runningblind said:

We need a special teams coach, period.  Complain about Mr. Fo-Fiddy all you like but his teams were mid 30's nationally in ST efficiency.  We are 128th right now.  Not even TheSker can defend that with a straight face. 

Frost was brought back so he ended his leave of absence from the board to tell us all how close we continue to be with the right side of the offensive line.  They should be really good in year 2.

I'm not in charge of defending anything.

7 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Just because Riley had a Special Teams coach who was at practice for 30 minutes and then left, doesn't take away from the value of a special teams coach. 

This brings up perhaps a more important point:

Are there any stats that teams with a dedicated ST coach do better at ST than teams without a dedicated ST coach? In other words, what's the actual value of a special teams coach?

4 minutes ago, lo country said:

Sad when the previous staff had nicknames like 450 and Mr .500.......And still had a better record.  Here’s hoping to change brings improvement. 

Absolutely.

Like I've said many times, Frost has many helping him try to succeed including the hiring of Alberts.

• Haha 2
3 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Are there any stats that teams with a dedicated ST coach do better at ST than teams without a dedicated ST coach? In other words, what's the actual value of a special teams coach?

I have never seen stats to compare the 2 philosophies. However, if I were Frost and have seen how abysmal the Special Teams have been under his watch, I would seriously think about a dedicated Special Teams coach who can have contact with players during the game. 

11 minutes ago, runningblind said:

We need a special teams coach, period.  Complain about Mr. Fo-Fiddy all you like but his teams were mid 30's nationally in ST efficiency.  We are 128th right now. 

This is a hilarious stat.

How many wins would that translate to this season? We'd probably be like 8-2 right now with Bruce Read on the staff.  

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I have never seen stats to compare the 2 philosophies. However, if I were Frost and have seen how abysmal the Special Teams have been under his watch, I would seriously think about a dedicated Special Teams coach who can have contact with players during the game. 

All I know is there was a guy from K State who had top 10 ST squads who went to USC and had a top 5 unit in his first year that probably will be available.  He even wanted to work here at one point.  I think we should hire that guy.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, runningblind said:

All I know is there was a guy from K State who had top 10 ST squads who went to USC and had a top 5 unit in his first year that probably will be available.  He even wanted to work here at one point.  I think we should hire that guy.

Sean is good.

And Frost might go a route like that.....I have no idea.....it's just not an "obvious" decision.

8 minutes ago, The Dude said:

This is a hilarious stat.

How many wins would that translate to this season? We'd probably be like 8-2 right now with Bruce Read on the staff.  

We might be that if Martinez doesn't fumble or throw half a seasons INTs in one game too.

There's more than one hilarious stat.