Frost: Dawson done “great job” with special teams- may not hire a dedicated ST Coordinator

seaofred92

Just because I was curious, I looked at how many B1G teams have a dedicated ST coordinator - 6 with and 8 without.  Number after is Football Outsiders rank.

Team w/ a dedicated ST coach

Iowa #5

Ohio St #8

Rutgers #59

Wisconsin #82

Purdue #104

Northwestern #114

Teams w/o a dedicated ST coach

Michigan -  TE coach (Jay Harbaugh) #3

Michigan St - LB coach (Ross Els!!!!) #15

Penn St - OLB coach #38

Illinois - TE coach #51

Minnesota - OLB coach #54

Maryland - OLB (Ron Zook) #110

Indiana - OLB coach #117

Nebraska - OLB coach #128

Its a small sample, so not sure you can formulate an opinion on teams with ST coaches perform better.  But you can see the best B1G teams this year have the best special teams and the worst B1G teams this year have the worst special teams.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

Scott Frost has been showing signs all along of being deficient in critical thinking. Not a clever man much at all. Even his remarks following games sounds like they could be uttered by someone who has thoughts but no insights. He also seems to surround himself with like minded people. 

Thank God for the Trev Alberts hire. I think he’s on to Frost as to those deficiencies. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Just because I was curious, I looked at how many B1G teams have a dedicated ST coordinator - 6 with and 8 without.  Number after is Football Outsiders rank.

Team w/ a dedicated ST coach

Iowa #5

Ohio St #8

Rutgers #59

Wisconsin #82

Purdue #104

Northwestern #114

Teams w/o a dedicated ST coach

Michigan -  TE coach (Jay Harbaugh) #3

Michigan St - LB coach (Ross Els!!!!) #15

Penn St - OLB coach #38

Illinois - TE coach #51

Minnesota - OLB coach #54

Maryland - OLB (Ron Zook) #110

Indiana - OLB coach #117

Nebraska - OLB coach #128

Its a small sample, so not sure you can formulate an opinion on teams with ST coaches perform better.  But you can see the best B1G teams this year have the best special teams and the worst B1G teams this year have the worst special teams.

My guess is that a good ST will produce anywhere from 3-10 points per game, perhaps more.  A team like us seems  to average missing somewhere between 6-10 points.  If you mix that all together, it can be anywhere from a 6 to 20 point range.  

It's all just fascinating to see the causes and conditions of a problem ... and then not do anything about it.  It feels like an "intervention" is needed.  Oh wait, that just happened ... and this one doesn't seem to be an issue from the top down.  I know that their will be an excuse coming for that close loss of 5 points though.

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, UniversalMartin said:

Frost has, through his own doing, made it to where the hiring of a ST Coach is needed simply because it will satisfy the court of public opinion...and he needs this easy win 

Exactly. ST have been such a travesty it doesn’t even matter at this point if a dedicated coach actually will make a difference. When you’re #128 and STs has directly cost you so many Ws, a different approach has to be attempted.

So, he fired four coaches, took a pay cut, and he draws the line at hiring a dedicated special teams coach…seriously, Frost. Special teams hurt us way more than our offense. You would think the number one priority is to get a dedicated special teams coach who can recruit players who can kick a damn field goal from 30 yards out or punt more than 15 yards. Our punts blow, our punt returns are nonexistent, and I can’t remember the last time we blocked a punt or did anything special. Dawson seems to know how to coach special teams as much as I know how to perform brain surgery. This decision is like agreeing to fix the holes on the side of your ship but not the one at the bottom of the ship. Sign of great things to come next year…

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, hagg said:

Scott Frost has been showing signs all along of being deficient in critical thinking. Not a clever man much at all. Even his remarks following games sounds like they could be uttered by someone who has thoughts but no insights. He also seems to surround himself with like minded people. 

Thank God for the Trev Alberts hire. I think he’s on to Frost as to those deficiencies. 

damn. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
On 11/10/2021 at 2:04 PM, LumberJackSker said:

It's just coach speak. 

Looking at Frost's actual quote I get the impression that he is figuring on hiring ST's help(at least somebody to coach the kickers/punters, maybe a full-on coordinator) but he doesn't want to crap on Dawson's efforts

• Plus1 4

9 hours ago, krc1995 said:

This is not full quote in case it wasn’t posted somewhere in this thread. 5:45 mark of the conference. McKewon’s tweet was intending to deceive. 

Not sure how you get the intent to "deceive"..??  the "full" quote would be long but @5:47 he clearly states that "dawson has done a great job running special teams" and @5:55 frost states "but our special teams have vastly improved".  Not sure many in the football realm would agree...

3 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Surely he can’t be serious. If so, it’s a perfect example of why we’ll never get over the hump with him at HC. An obvious problem, glaring him right in the face, and he chooses not to acknowledge it and put a band-aid on it and hope it’ll get better. 

this is exactly why we should have fired Frost.

can't believe Trev played the homer card!