Pernell: Frost Needs a Miracle

My opinion was shared before he was ever hired, in the Scott Frost megathread. That’s based on statistics like the ones shared in this article, and we talked a lot about that stuff back then.

There are examples of coaches that won at a certain level and then eventually improved by several wins to reach a new standard they just tended to be winning coaches. So, I’m not optimistic, but this is not a typical coaching profile, either.

• Plus1 1

I think there is more to the Scott Frost retention and offensive rebuild than just Scott being an iconic player here. I think many of the moneyed boosters didn’t want to pony up 20 mil for Scott and another 5 mil for the assistants plus dig deep in their pockets for the new expansion.  I heard today of a nationally known booster who said if Scott was fired he was done. I also don’t think Trev wanted to be labeled as an axe man in his first few months on the job. Trev found a way to keep enough of a majority happy for another year before a final decision is made and he has time to get some names in his little black book of coaches. Also some big name schools are looking to hire after this season. Teams like USC, LSU and probably Florida. 

• Plus1 6
  • Fire 1

Listening to Scott speak, I'm still not sure he understands the huge importance of special teams which is costing usually several points a game.  I would definitely get a special teams coordinator and I would try to get the best kicker in the nation they can find and immediately offer him a scholarship. 

I think 7 wins not including a bowl game should be the absolute minimum in order to bump his salary back up.

• Plus1 2

43 minutes ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

Listening to Scott speak, I'm still not sure he understands the huge importance of special teams which is costing usually several points a game.  I would definitely get a special teams coordinator and I would try to get the best kicker in the nation they can find and immediately offer him a scholarship. 

I think 7 wins not including a bowl game should be the absolute minimum in order to bump his salary back up.

I said in another thread, I think the deal with Frost was meant to make sure he can come back.  To the bolded, the above is a concern moving forward.  I was in the camp to think Frost should be let go.  I see nothing to think he can/will improve.  I also have  not been a fan of  anyone on the O staff since 2019....So maybe he can turn things around.  BUT he was kept this year because of the perceived improvement of the close losses against good teams.....Not his W-L record.  I am unsure after this what criteria needs to met to continue?  Is it purely wins? I don't think so as this COULD be our worst season record in 70 years....A bowl?  Beat Georgia Southern, ND, NW, Illinois, Purdue and Minnie?  That would be 6 and bowling......Since it was the O staff let go, is it improving red zone efficiency?  Improving ST's?  Pass the "eye ball test" that we actually have a scheme?  Regardless of record.....I really don't know. Again, I really think the admn is betting the farm that Frost is the 1st coach to break the statistics of losing coaches....